Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray advances to the semis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray advances to the semis

(Read 4264 times)
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #30 on: November 10, 2012, 10:11 AM »

I agree and I like to think that after the first set -- when he knew he had nothing to lose -- Andy secretly backed off to allow Jo-Wilfried the opportunity to preserve his dignity/pride. (They certainly looked like two players who like each other when they shook hands at the net after the match).

Well done, Boogers!
There can be no doubt that those two are on very good terms. Warm exchanges from both at the net and a joke shared. Respectfully, Andy commented on Jo-W playing better tennis in the 2nd set and thankfully he's never one to gloat.

It is possible, as you suggest Tomthoms that he slacked up which allowed Jo-W to win some games, but in that case he wasn't in full control of the outcome and only narrowly avoided a 3rd set when Jo-W held break points. TB are a risky business, if you want to conserve energy for the next round.

I dont see other top players hesitating to thrash an opponent, even if it means a humiliating defeat for them. Can one afford to let empathy get in the way of results? I reckon Mr. L. would have a ruthless approach and expect Andy to get the job done ASAP. Certainly is was good for the paying public that the match finished with better quality tennis than it started.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 10:16 AM »

The score in the Djoko/Berdych match was exactly the same as Andy's and the pattern of play was very similar too.  Could it be that both Nole and Andy had the same idea once they knew they had qualified with the first set?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 10:18 AM »

There's no doubt Andy slackened off, but whether it was on purpose or a subconcious thing.......well, we can only speculate.....guess we'll never really know!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 10:25 AM »

Did anyone else notice that Nole seemed to be having some kind of problem with his right wrist?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 10:29 AM »

I saw him stretching and bending his hands, but I've seen him do that before. Might be just exercising them to loosen them up!
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 10:43 AM »

I think Andy slackened off, because the 1st set was so easy, and he lost his concentration a bit till Tsonga started to come back then he lifted his game.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 11:03 AM »

This match WASN'T on the BBC?

Let me get this straight. They schedule his two earlier matches for the afternoon when everyone's at work. Then his crucial final qualification match is held on primetime Friday evening and they don't even show it at all?!

Gotta love the BBC.

I would imagine that it is less to do with the BBC choosing the wrong matches to show and a lot more to do with them being left the scraps that those bastards over at sky are giving them. Interestingly both broadcasters are starting to use the same pundits.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, 11:10 AM »

Good report, Phil. Nothing more to add as other posts have covered my comments.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, 11:20 AM »

I saw him stretching and bending his hands, but I've seen him do that before. Might be just exercising them to loosen them up!
He often stretches out his thigh and lower leg muscles between points, he's just keeping himself supple I think as being super elastic is one of his great strengths.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 11:23 AM »

Yes Lashurst.........That's probably the answer!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 12:42 PM »

I would imagine that it is less to do with the BBC choosing the wrong matches to show and a lot more to do with them being left the scraps that those bastards over at sky are giving them. Interestingly both broadcasters are starting to use the same pundits.

That would sound just like sky but i think in this case it is purely down to the BBC having rights to play all afternoon matches and the final, so they basically had what was given them by the ATP scheduling i guess.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 04:01 PM »

Had the match ended within an hour an exhibition match would have had to be played to satisfy the crowd.

I remember being there last year when Fed bagelled Rafa, the match ending at 59 minutes (I think) and that was that.  You do feel short changed especially on a full price ticket.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 04:04 PM »

This match WASN'T on the BBC?

Let me get this straight. They schedule his two earlier matches for the afternoon when everyone's at work. Then his crucial final qualification match is held on primetime Friday evening and they don't even show it at all?!

Gotta love the BBC.
It was mad this was on Sky. BBC don't think about the fans when they make these weird scheduling decisions.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #43 on: November 10, 2012, 04:08 PM »

Does anyone know where |I could watch this match as could not watch it last night as do not have Sky sport?
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray advances to the semis « Reply #44 on: November 10, 2012, 04:45 PM »

looks like Andy will still play Federer tomorrow even though Fed's been beaten by Potro Now I think Andy has a good chance of getting to the final. Can't remember when Andy played Potro last but I'd rather he does'nt play him tomorrow.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »