Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring

(Read 3961 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « on: April 01, 2013, 12:16 AM »

Update: This was indeed for April Fools. Our thanks to Brad Gilbert, Christopher Clarey and everyone else who played along with the story. - Ed
Andy Murray has often talked the talk when it comes to his professed love of boxing. But now the Scottish superstar will get the chance to walk the walk, as he gets set to go toe-to-toe in the ring with cricketer-turned-fighter Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff.

The new world number two today confirmed that the one-off charity match-up will take place at Glasgow’s Braehead Arena on Saturday 20th July, between the end of the English grass-court season and the start of the US hard-court swing.

Whispers about a potential bout for the would-be boxer had been rife in press circles for some time. But fuel was added to the fire last week when The Times posted a picture of Murray in full fighting regalia after a gym session in downtown Miami.

Former England captain Flintoff, who retired from cricket in 2010, switched sporting allegiance to climb off the canvas last December and win a points decision over American Richard Dawson on his heavyweight boxing debut.

After that scrap, the 34-year-old Flintoff hinted that the fight might not be his last: "We'll see how we go. It's not natural to me - I've had to work so hard.”

Read more (159 words)
Murray is thrilled at the prospect of making good on his boyhood dream of competing in the ring. Speaking at a hastily arranged press conference at Miami’s Crandon Park after defeating David Ferrer for the Miami Masters title, he said, “Freddie heard about my love of boxing and decided to personally hand-pick me as his next opponent. It should be a laugh and raise some money at the same time.”

But Murray’s fighting ambitions have not been warmly welcomed in every corner. The Scot’s coach, Ivan Lendl, also facing the press in Miami, warned, “It’s Andy’s decision, but I feel he’s being foolish. Boxing requires a different skill set and the chance of injury is too great. If Andy continues to go out on a limb like this, we might have to review our arrangements.”

Discounted early-bird tickets can be reserved at the Braehead box office on 0141 886 8300.

Murray in full fighting regalia in Miami (1 image)

[ Last edit by Mark April 01, 2013, 11:42 PM ] IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:21 AM »

I'd heard a rumour about this last week but treated it as gossip - nice to see it confirmed. Should be a good watch and I'm pleased that Andy would do such a thing for charity. Should further enhance his public image, which has really taken off over the last year.

I can sort of see Lendl's point, but Andy's surely earned the right to fulfill an ambition after his recent achievements?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:29 AM »

I'm no boxing expert but I assume risk of injury is pretty damn high? Lendl is compeltely right.
IP Logged
Brianjones

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:33 AM »

Had heard a rumour. Sounds interesting. Well.... so long as it doesn't affect his clay court season.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 12:35 AM »

I heard that he was training with Nogueira's UFC camp right enough. MMA would have been a bit silly but boxing couldn;t really throw up any injuries that would carry into his tennis. I am slightly worries about the weight classing though?
[ Last edit by drchef April 01, 2013, 12:40 AM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:48 AM »

I heard that he was training with Nogueira's UFC camp right enough.
Really? UFC training alone must be full of risk. It's as if Andy doesn't really care anymore now he's finally got that Slam.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:58 AM »

Really? UFC training alone must be full of risk. It's as if Andy doesn't really care anymore now he's finally got that Slam.

Flintoff tips the scales at around 216lbs. Murray is much lighter. However, Andy has much greater reach at 6 ft 3. It's swings and roundabouts. It'll be bloody interesting.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:14 AM »

Wow, that's interesting. Given Flintoff's previous fight, I think Murray could take him you know. Definitely got the stamina to outlast him.

I wonder if they first discussed this when Murray was on A League of their Own. Certainly wouldn't be surprised if it at least came up.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 01:16 AM »

Wow, that's interesting. Given Flintoff's previous fight, I think Murray could take him you know.

I wonder if they first discussed this when Murray was on A League of their Own. Certainly wouldn't be surprised if it at least came up.

Yep, I too wondered about the League of Their Own connection.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 01:30 AM »

Just looked and the tickets are bloody extortionate! I know its charity but £195 is simply too expensive for average Joe to get along to see it.

Think i'd prefer to go watch him doing something that he's good at!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 01:32 AM »

Just looked and the tickets are bloody extortionate! I know its charity but £195 is simply too expensive for average Joe to get along to see it.

Think i'd prefer to go watch him doing something that he's good at!

Tickets are dear but it's a one-off. If you're a true fan, you'll get on the phone.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 01:40 AM »

£195 to watch Andy throw his tennis career down the drain? I'm game.

I was there for the start and I'll be there for the end.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 01:46 AM »

Relax, he wouldn't make this decision if he wasn't confident there would be no detrimental effects. Have faith.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 01:50 AM »

Relax, he wouldn't make this decision if he wasn't confident there would be no detrimental effects. Have faith.

Yea, I think so too.

On a second thought, just out of curiosity, what would you do if Andy were to retire let's say next year? I'd be devastated and this forum probably wouldn't exist anymore either.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 01:51 AM »

This will obviously be a fixed fight.

There's no doubt David Haye will be involved some how, with his friendship with Andy.

Flintoff will probably eat pies during the match, and Andy will somehow get a massive Tennis Racket involved.

Of course we cannot forget that they'll probably be protected with ridiculously over sized head gear, and have ridiculously over sized gloves.

I expect this will be done for a Cancer chairty.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »