Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring

(Read 3993 times)
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #60 on: April 01, 2013, 08:10 PM »

Andy ! you've dropped your racquet !
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #61 on: April 01, 2013, 08:56 PM »

goodman

Even stupider me! Thanks, Mark and Nigel. You both sure got the last laugh on me!

The problem and excuse that I have is April 1 is my wife's birthday. Therefore, I am so committed to remembering her day that the other significant event is overlooked by me.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #62 on: April 01, 2013, 09:36 PM »

I can admire a man who gets his priorities right ... Smile

Strangely enough though I thought this year's AF was more believable than the last two, although other people seem to think differently.

Love that!  I'm just glad that Andy never took it up as a career, or football either.  Just think what we would have missed!
[ Last edit by Aileen April 01, 2013, 09:42 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #63 on: April 01, 2013, 10:36 PM »

Nice April Fool's. Gangsta approves.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #64 on: April 01, 2013, 11:07 PM »

Strangely enough though I thought this year's AF was more believable than the last two, although other people seem to think differently.

Love that!  I'm just glad that Andy never took it up as a career, or football either.  Just think what we would have missed!

Love that!  I'm just glad that Andy never took it up as a career, or football either.  Just think what we would have missed!
  Yes, I admit I was briefly taken in too, and thats much more satisfying than  the more obvious ones, no matter how clever they are!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #65 on: April 01, 2013, 11:08 PM »

I had advance warning, as did some other members, because Nigel wanted us to go along with him to add to the credibility.

Nice April Fool's. Gangsta approves.
So that's Nigel got the Royal Seal of approval then? wink
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #66 on: April 02, 2013, 09:51 AM »

I had advance warning, as did some other members, because Nigel wanted us to go along with him to add to the credibility.

So that's Nigel got the Royal Seal of approval then? wink
Yeah......and I made myself look like a right donut trying to keep it going!  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #67 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06 AM »

I got this email on my phone yesterday while out shopping, and got quite upset that Andy was going to box  Embarassed Obviously thinking he could damage his hands or something. So, so glad this is an April fools, but I don't think it was funny. 
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #68 on: April 02, 2013, 01:19 PM »

I thought it was quite funny and just believable enough to get people going.     I was more caught out by an article in the Scotsman yesterday intimating that home players would be able to opt for either GB or home teams for Glasgow 2014.    Immediately went into indignation mode and thought at least  there is no tennis and Andy will not have to make the choice and then be pilloried for not choosing GB.    Danced in rage for a couple of minutes and then remembered the date.  
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #69 on: April 02, 2013, 02:41 PM »

Clever! might have been properly taken in myself if I hadn't been aware of the date, folks were so definite about it, even corecting me when I queried it. It was the date and Lendl quote convinced me it was wrong - didn't think Andy would risk injury so close to defending the US Open. Also there was no sign of the story anywhere online, other than MW. See, I did think enough about it not to dismiss it out of hand! Well done, great bank holiday giggle.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #70 on: April 02, 2013, 02:44 PM »

I thought it was quite funny and just believable enough to get people going.     I was more caught out by an article in the Scotsman yesterday intimating that home players would be able to opt for either GB or home teams for Glasgow 2014.    Immediately went into indignation mode and thought at least  there is no tennis and Andy will not have to make the choice and then be pilloried for not choosing GB.    Danced in rage for a couple of minutes and then remembered the date.   

Hee hee, years ago the BBC ran a story on teletext saying Tim Henman was switching allegiance to play for the Ukranian  (or some where Eatstern Europe anyway) Davis Cup team through a tenous link with some of his relatives. They got a fair number of anxious phonecalls as I recall.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #71 on: April 02, 2013, 07:49 PM »

That was good & funny, a bit too overdone at the end though Nigel, giving you away. Also you need a new crew for this next time as a dead giveaway with all your usual cohorts showing up in spades, right off the bat.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #72 on: April 02, 2013, 08:23 PM »

I thought it was quite funny and just believable enough to get people going.     I was more caught out by an article in the Scotsman yesterday intimating that home players would be able to opt for either GB or home teams for Glasgow 2014.    Immediately went into indignation mode and thought at least  there is no tennis and Andy will not have to make the choice and then be pilloried for not choosing GB.    Danced in rage for a couple of minutes and then remembered the date.   
I never saw that one, but I do know that the Scotsman is usually pretty good with its April Fools.

This is the Scotsman list of what it considers to be the best jokes, including its own - http://www.scotsman.com/news/odd/april-fools-day-2013-the-internet-s-best-hoaxes-1-2870708

The problem I have with April Fools is that because I'm so aware of the date I go looking for them and so have disbelieved stories that were in fact true!
[ Last edit by Aileen April 02, 2013, 09:30 PM ] IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #73 on: April 02, 2013, 10:21 PM »

I never saw that one, but I do know that the Scotsman is usually pretty good with its April Fools.

This is the Scotsman list of what it considers to be the best jokes, including its own - http://www.scotsman.com/news/odd/april-fools-day-2013-the-internet-s-best-hoaxes-1-2870708

The problem I have with April Fools is that because I'm so aware of the date I go looking for them and so have disbelieved stories that were in fact true!

Yes me too Aileen. I didn't fall for this one a bit too contrived but thought the thing about 20 20 tennis was April fool too. It would appear it wasn't. I actually hope it doesn't take off wouldn't want Andy to wreak his chances in the tour by extending the year and playing it. Something similar was tried in 2004 at wembley arena. To be honest it was a bit boring and they never did it again. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #74 on: April 02, 2013, 11:25 PM »

Yes me too Aileen. I didn't fall for this one a bit too contrived but thought the thing about 20 20 tennis was April fool too. It would appear it wasn't. I actually hope it doesn't take off wouldn't want Andy to wreak his chances in the tour by extending the year and playing it. Something similar was tried in 2004 at wembley arena. To be honest it was a bit boring and they never did it again. 
The 20-20 tennis was an April Fool, Tessie, just as I thought it was.  In fact reading it again it sounds even more improbable - "a city-based franchise competition backed financially by princes and governments across the Middle East and Asia ..."

Also Googling it throws up quite a few sources which would appear to substatiate it - until you discover that they're all dated yesterday and lead back to the DM article, which in turn took its cue from an article written in The Times by Neil Harman, who's know to have a wicked sense of humour.

The online article has now been gradually faded out after the first two paras, so nice one, Mr Harman! Very Happy
[ Last edit by Aileen April 02, 2013, 11:29 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »