Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring

(Read 4451 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #75 on: April 02, 2013, 11:46 PM »

Are we definitely sure that the 20-20 thing was an April Fool?Don't get me wrong,from the second I read about it I certainly hoped very much it was-and like you Aileen,I couldn't see Lendl going for it at all!-but quite a few tennis journos have been chatting about it on twitter-and not in a jokey way either  Think
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #76 on: April 03, 2013, 12:15 AM »

Are we definitely sure that the 20-20 thing was an April Fool?Don't get me wrong,from the second I read about it I certainly hoped very much it was-and like you Aileen,I couldn't see Lendl going for it at all!-but quite a few tennis journos have been chatting about it on twitter-and not in a jokey way either  Think
I'm 99.9% certain it's an April Fool.  If it isn't, then why has the Times Online today faded the article out, something I've never seen them do - http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/tennis/article3727953.ece    Also look at the timing of the article - 12:01AM, April 1 2013.

Harman is such a well-respected journalist that there are bound to be those who believe him.  
[ Last edit by Aileen April 03, 2013, 12:34 AM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #77 on: April 03, 2013, 12:20 AM »

You're most probably right Aileen-at least I very much hope that you are!

Wonder when/if it'll get definitely cleared up as to whether it was/wasn't a joke?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #78 on: April 03, 2013, 12:35 AM »

I'm 99.9% certain it's an April Fool.  If it isn't, then why has the Times Online today faded the article out, something I've never seen them do - http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/tennis/article3727953.ece    Also look at the timing of the article - 12:01AM, April 1 2013.

Harman is such a well-respected journalist that there are bound to be those who believe him.
Aileen.. unless you subcscribe to The Times, the article is always faded out. They just tease you with a few lines.

Harman is denying it's an April Fool.
Neil Harman ‏@NeilHarmanTimes  8h 
Those who said IPTL story was an April Fool - Craig Tiley of @australianopen "It will create more global interest beyond traditional fan."

Also, here's today's Guardian article : http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/apr/02/andy-murray-international-tennis-premier-league

Andy Murray, who drove himself to the brink of collapse in winning his first title of the year in Miami on Sunday, might find it difficult to argue burn-out as a reason for any future losses if he agrees to join an International Tennis Premier League (ITPL) mooted for the November-December off-season.

Sources confirmed on Tuesday that Murray is among several leading players approached by the former Indian doubles player, Mahesh Bhupati, to take part in the ITPL. It is a competition based on cricket's Indian Premier League, with team matches over three weeks and franchises in big cities across the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent bidding for players with budgets of up to $10m (£6.6m).

Also from The Australian: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/twenty20-tennis-lleyton-hewitt-sam-stosur-targets-for-next-indian-sideshow/story-e6frg6n6-1226610469506

If it's an April Fool, it's pretty good. Shrug
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #79 on: April 03, 2013, 12:40 AM »

If it turns out that it's not a joke,I hope Andy doesn't end up going for it.He's always (rightly) placed so much importance on his off-season training block-and I don't see this as being worthy of interrupting that.Sure,they'd probably pay him huge sums of money,but his bank balance is very healthy as it is!He doesn't need this,so if it turns out it is real,then I very much hope Andy says no.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #80 on: April 03, 2013, 12:58 AM »

Aileen.. unless you subcscribe to The Times, the article is always faded out. They just tease you with a few lines.

Harman is denying it's an April Fool.
Neil Harman ‏@NeilHarmanTimes  8h 
Those who said IPTL story was an April Fool - Craig Tiley of @australianopen "It will create more global interest beyond traditional fan."

Also, here's today's Guardian article : http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/apr/02/andy-murray-international-tennis-premier-league

Andy Murray, who drove himself to the brink of collapse in winning his first title of the year in Miami on Sunday, might find it difficult to argue burn-out as a reason for any future losses if he agrees to join an International Tennis Premier League (ITPL) mooted for the November-December off-season.

Sources confirmed on Tuesday that Murray is among several leading players approached by the former Indian doubles player, Mahesh Bhupati, to take part in the ITPL. It is a competition based on cricket's Indian Premier League, with team matches over three weeks and franchises in big cities across the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent bidding for players with budgets of up to $10m (£6.6m).

Also from The Australian: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/twenty20-tennis-lleyton-hewitt-sam-stosur-targets-for-next-indian-sideshow/story-e6frg6n6-1226610469506

If it's an April Fool, it's pretty good. Shrug
That sounds a lot more plausible.  Also according to somebody on AndyMurrayFanForum (who are as confused as everyone else) twenty20 tennis does exist.

However, from The Guardian article -

No contracts have been signed, either with television companies, players, venues or governing bodies. While there is only an outside chance of the competition starting in 2013, it could begin the following year.

A source close to the negotiations said on Tuesday: "As far as I know nobody has committed to it yet, so there is still quite a way to go."

A similar idea was mooted in Australia three years ago, when Murray and Djokovic were approached, but it died through lack of interest.

The format is a simple one: one-set matches in men's and women's singles, as well as doubles, mixed doubles and legends singles. There would be no advantage points played.

It sounds a like a lightweight carnival, a glorified exhibition. And playing just one set a day might not be the most arduous workout these players have ever had. But there is the travel and the commitment of time – time most of them currently spend recovering from the bruising demands of their sport.

Also Tennis Australia is not enthused, claiming that the AO and its warm-up tournaments could suffer as a result of fatigued and possibly injured players.

I truly cannot see this appealing to Andy who values his Miami training so much.  Also I think if Andy did decide he wanted to particpate, then I can't see Lendl being happy.  It could in fact well be the end of a beautiful friendship.

IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #81 on: April 03, 2013, 01:06 AM »

I am reading this as the newspapers going off on one. Just because the ideas been mooted, it doesn't mean that the top players are going to sign up for it. Assuming its not an elaborate April fool. Didn't the mythical Mr M intending to miss the whole clay court season last year end up in all sorts of other places as a fact?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #82 on: April 03, 2013, 01:11 AM »

If it turns out that it's not a joke,I hope Andy doesn't end up going for it.He's always (rightly) placed so much importance on his off-season training block-and I don't see this as being worthy of interrupting that.Sure,they'd probably pay him huge sums of money,but his bank balance is very healthy as it is!He doesn't need this,so if it turns out it is real,then I very much hope Andy says no.
I agree about the money as well.  Andy is neither greedy nor desperate for some extra money.  I can though see it having some appeal for much lower-ranked players who won't be so knackered at the end of the season and who would probably welcome the chance to grab a bit of extra cash whilst having a bit of fun.  That said, who's going to pay their travel and subsistence expenses?

Unfortunately it looks like Harman picked entirely the wrong date to produce his article. 
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #83 on: April 03, 2013, 01:40 AM »

Also I think if Andy did decide he wanted to particpate, then I can't see Lendl being happy.  It could in fact well be the end of a beautiful friendship.

Very Sad What a terrible thought Aileen!

no Even if Andy did want to participate in this,I can't see him risking Lendl for it,I just can't.I rate his intelligence much more highly than that! Andy knows,just as we do-far more than anyone else,in fact!-the value of having him on board.I can't conceive of a scenario that would make him go against Lendl to the point of ending their coaching relationship,but if it were ever to happen (and please may it not! Fingers crossed ) then I would at least hope it would be for something far,far more important than this!

In fact,that's really what made me believe the whole Flintoff boxing thing was a joke-it was really well done,but when I got to the bit about Lendl,I just thought "no".Sure,Andy likes to take part in projects to raise money for charity,and he likes his boxing-but he definitely doesn't like it to the point where he'd go ahead with something like that against Ivan's wishes,to the point where Ivan would be speaking out about his displeasure.He just wouldn't!

Anyway,even if this is all true,it sounds like they're quite early in the planning stages as yet,so I reckon we don't have anything to worry about just yet.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #84 on: April 03, 2013, 02:04 AM »

Very Sad What a terrible thought Aileen!

no Even if Andy did want to participate in this,I can't see him risking Lendl for it,I just can't.I rate his intelligence much more highly than that! Andy knows,just as we do-far more than anyone else,in fact!-the value of having him on board.I can't conceive of a scenario that would make him go against Lendl to the point of ending their coaching relationship,but if it were ever to happen (and please may it not! Fingers crossed ) then I would at least hope it would be for something far,far more important than this!

In fact,that's really what made me believe the whole Flintoff boxing thing was a joke-it was really well done,but when I got to the bit about Lendl,I just thought "no".Sure,Andy likes to take part in projects to raise money for charity,and he likes his boxing-but he definitely doesn't like it to the point where he'd go ahead with something like that against Ivan's wishes,to the point where Ivan would be speaking out about his displeasure.He just wouldn't!

Anyway,even if this is all true,it sounds like they're quite early in the planning stages as yet,so I reckon we don't have anything to worry about just yet.
Hey dani - I didn't mean to put anyone into a state of alarm! hug  I don't think for one minute that Andy will go for this - IF it ever comes to fruition.  Apart from valuing his Miami training and the fact that he's very careful about his body, he isn't likely to throw away all that he and Lendl have achieved together for the sake of some pantomime tennis - and who knows what they will achieve this year and the next, and beyond?

I admit that when I read the bit in Nigel piece - "If Andy continues to go out on a limb like this, we might have to review our arrangements.” - cold shivers ran up and down my spine.  I think that, like Nigel, I have an unfortunate tendency to be a bit too dramatic at times.

[ Last edit by Aileen April 03, 2013, 02:15 AM ] IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #85 on: April 03, 2013, 09:38 AM »

Maybe Lendl himself would be interested in participating in the 'Legends' singles?   Whistle
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #86 on: April 03, 2013, 09:48 AM »

Hey dani - I didn't mean to put anyone into a state of alarm! hug  I don't think for one minute that Andy will go for this - IF it ever comes to fruition.  Apart from valuing his Miami training and the fact that he's very careful about his body, he isn't likely to throw away all that he and Lendl have achieved together for the sake of some pantomime tennis - and who knows what they will achieve this year and the next, and beyond?

I admit that when I read the bit in Nigel piece - "If Andy continues to go out on a limb like this, we might have to review our arrangements.” - cold shivers ran up and down my spine.  I think that, like Nigel, I have an unfortunate tendency to be a bit too dramatic at times.

No worries Aileen! hug I have a tendency to react emotionally at times blush ,but really I just hate the idea of anything putting Andy and Ivan at odds.Like you,I'm so excited to see what else Ivan can help our man to achieve! cmon yeah
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray and Flintoff to face off in boxing ring « Reply #87 on: April 07, 2013, 10:00 AM »

Taken me a long time to notice this. It's absolutely brillant
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »