Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray appoints Lendl as new coach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray appoints Lendl as new coach

(Read 4669 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « on: December 31, 2011, 06:29 PM »

World number 4 Andy Murray has appointed eight-time slam champion and former world number one Ivan Lendl as his full-time coach.

The Scot will start work with the nationalised American immediately as they get ready for the Australian Open next month.

'Ivan's impact on the game is unquestionable and he brings experience and knowledge that few others have, particularly in major tournaments,' said Murray.

Lendl, 51 and born in the Czech Republic, made 19 grand-slam finals and held the world number one position for 270 weeks.

In a statement, Lendl said: 'I am really excited to have the opportunity to work with Andy. He is a unique talent and I look forward to trying to help him reach his goals.'
[ Last edit by Grabcopy December 31, 2011, 08:45 PM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 06:49 PM »

yay w00t cmon yeah so happy Smile  Smile  very smart move by Andy.  I feel that this is the right decision.  Lendl will improve his mental side of tennis and things will be on the up for Andy Smile  just trying to be positive Wink but I know that Andy is the one playing  the tennis and not Lendl.... we will see what happens Smile  Can't wait for the partnership to start... so exciting Smile
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:55 PM »

Agreed. This is the best news. I loved Lendl as a player, although he's unproven as a coach. I'm sure he'll help with the upstairs stuff.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:08 PM »

A big problem for Murray was well is up until now he has been able to go under the radar, as he isnt really a big favourite for the majors with the likes or Roger, Djokovic and Nadal considerably in fromt of him.

Going under the radar and beating the guys he should beat has worked for Murray, but teaming up with an all time great is going to put him firmly in the media spotlight before the main events have even started, there is a massive amount of pressure on him that is for sure.

IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 07:11 PM »

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.. Andy goes into most tournaments not under the radar.. everyone expects him to do well in GS and M... you have to be positive about this news... this is the kind of news that were hoping for

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:12 PM »

One word, YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 07:14 PM »

One word, YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
exactly what I was thinking summed up in one positive word YESSSS  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 07:16 PM »

The Telegraph is reporting that it's 20 weeks a year:

'Lendl will attend the four Grand Slams and most of the Masters series events. This is likely to mean a commitment of around 20 weeks a year. '

I'll still take it.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 07:17 PM »

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.. Andy goes into most tournaments not under the radar.. everyone expects him to do well in GS and M... you have to be positive about this news... this is the kind of news that were hoping for

I think it depends which tournaments you are talking about, I have spend a loit of time in America and while Murray is respected if you were at the US Open last year and followed the coverage you would know that all the talk was of Roger, Djokovic and Nadal 3 guys who are ahead of Murray and have won 30 Grand Slams between them.

Now that Murray is teamed up with a guy with 8 majors who also lost a bunch of major finals to start with the media and tennis pundits are going to be focused on this story quite closely time will tell how Murray handles it, but it can all turn sour very fast indeed.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 07:20 PM »

95% sure this is a fantastic move - just bit unsure why it didn't happen 6 months ago.  Lendl has a lot of parallels with Andy including both their Mum's were top players nationally.  Lendl won his 1st Slam at 24 (after 4 losing finals rather than Andy's 3) and his last at 29 (I think)so let's hope the parallels continue! So come on Andy - only Novak maybe is in your way for the AO although I'll settle for losing AO final if it means winning RG - any slam will do.
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 07:23 PM »

only Novak maybe is in your way for the AO although I'll settle for losing AO final if it means winning RG - any slam will do.

And Rafa and most of all Roger!

Roger has won here you know 4 times, dominated this event, the courts are suited to Novak's game he will start the
 favourite for the tournament but apart from him when Roger plays anyone else the match is on his racket.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 07:27 PM »

The Telegraph is reporting that it's 20 weeks a year:

'Lendl will attend the four Grand Slams and most of the Masters series events. This is likely to mean a commitment of around 20 weeks a year. '

I'll still take it.
It's the slams when he needs him most. And presumably he'll still be able to call on Cahill at other times, assuming he's available.
Yes would be interesting to know why they didn't seal the deal when they talked previously.  May well be good reasons for that.  Perhaps Andy wanted a spell doing it for himself first; perhaps Lendl wasn't ready to travel.  Who knows.  It's quite possible they reached a tentative agreement then and kept it quiet.  Anyway perfect timing to announce it now at start of new season.  And I wish them both well for it.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 07:55 PM »

Hopefully this is the final piece of the jigsaw in place to help Andy achieve his GS goal. Lendl for sure will help with the mental aspect aswell as physical. I can see this could also turn Andy into a legitimate threat at RG too so Nadal watch out!!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 08:30 PM »

HALLELUJAH!!  After all the waiting and speculation ... yay  We'll never know why it took Andy so long to make this move, but at least he's finally done it.  Very pleased.  I truly hope that this relationship works out for him and that Lendl can help him make that final leap.         
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 08:45 PM »

sorry but can someone enlighten me on Lendl's strengths and weaknesses  as a player.. Im quite young... I have never watched Lendl before.. but I hear that he was a very good player Smile
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »