Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray appoints Lendl as new coach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray appoints Lendl as new coach

(Read 4730 times)
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 11:56 PM »

Aileen - would like to be able to watch less matches from behind my sofa and with a non alcoholic drink I hand!!!!
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #31 on: January 01, 2012, 12:04 AM »

haha me too MM .. I think this could be the beginning of something great  Im hoping anyway

Happy 2012 everyone !!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 01:23 AM »

Oh goodness that must have hurt.  Very powerful that was.  The tennis players were very competitive in that era
I could be wrong, but I think the level of competitiveness has gone up a gear these days.  Players are definitely more powerful and the game is much more physical and ruthless than it was in Lendl's era.  I think Andy could do with cultivating more of the ruthless aspect.  He does have it, but it needs just that little extra edge.

I've just remembered that Lendl was well known to be a workaholic.   In fact I believe it was he who was responsible for introducing the extreme fitness regimes that are par for the course these days.  Now that is something that Andy will really take to since he himself is known to be one of the hardest working players around. However, I don't think his fitness should be a problem, it's what's happening on court that needs to be addressed.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #33 on: January 01, 2012, 06:09 AM »

And here's a photo of Lendl with John Mc - he sure looks a tough, no-nonsense individual.

IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #34 on: January 01, 2012, 08:35 AM »

Happy new Yera to you all.

This is great News , well timed by Andy.

I met Ivan many times in Hong Kong when I was helping to run the events there,. Great sense of humour.
He is the most disciplined man I have ever met, strict with all sides of his game, and very tough mentally.

This will be great for Andy and this will be his year.

Whether it is too early for Australia we will have to see.

He will certaintly, change Andy mentally and help him to achieve his goals.

This year is going to be great. nadal not 100% fit, Fed thinks he can win a Grand Slam not sure, and Nole has  alot of events to win after last year, he cannot do it all.

Wonderful News.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 09:25 AM »

I'm sure Andy thought long and hard about a coach and I truly hope he made the right decision. 2012 could prove a very interesting year. Good luck to him! Andy a very Happy New Year to one and all on MW.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #36 on: January 01, 2012, 09:48 AM »

If Andy reaches another slam final, Ivan will turn him into a cold hearted robot hell bent on crushing his opponent for the win. Well here's hoping anyway Very Happy

I'll second that!  cheers
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #37 on: January 01, 2012, 09:53 AM »

No predictions!

However, I feel that Lendl's marvellous appointment may be too late to make much difference for OzO. We shall see.

Moving on, I hope that Andy is placed in Djokovic's half of the draw, for two reasons:-

Firstly, if he were to lose to Djokovic, who is coming from laserating Monfils, Federer and Ferrer, Andy's disappointment would not be as great if he lost to Novak in the final;
Secondly, if Andy were to triumph over Novak in the semi, he may well be full of confidence for the final no matter whom he is opposed to.

Happy, healthy 2012 to all MW friends and Andy it's also important that you keep your health up to scratch.

Incidentally, Nigel, Lendl was born in Czechoslovakia. The set up of two states came later on 01/01/1993.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #38 on: January 01, 2012, 10:00 AM »

On the ATP WorldTour site, there is a very good interview re Andy's decision to appoint Ivan Lendl as his coach. The following is just some of the salient points. "Explaining his decision to work with Lendl Murray said " I liked what he said and how he felt about my game.....I also think he has been trhrough a lot of the same things that I have been through, so I amsure he can help me mentally with certain things......he was just a very honest guy as well, which is very important because not everybody is like that. A lot of people are maybe too nice. Sometimes, they just don't want to upset you or say the wrong thing. But he was very honest, very open, and that was important.

I have never believed that Andy surrounded himself with yes men, or that he wanted to have a yes man coach, but he wanted an honest one and one he could respect, also one that would understand him. It looks as if Ivan Lendl is that man and I'm sure we will see a more relaxed Andy on court at the Open.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #39 on: January 01, 2012, 11:03 AM »

Incidentally, Nigel, Lendl was born in Czechoslovakia. The set up of two states came later on 01/01/1993.

Yep, I knew that. I just didn't want to refer to a country that no longer exists.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #40 on: January 01, 2012, 12:58 PM »

I think employing Lendl is a sign of maturity on Andy's part - when he was paired with Gilbert, it was perhaps a bit too early and he was perhaps not as receptive to taking on advice as he is now.

Andy will still be headstrong enough to want to do things his own way but that perception may shift and we will see the turning of Andy's focus on matches and not letting a missed point affect him like that missed FH did against Rafa at Wimbledon or wasting energy shouting at himself/his box.

If Ivan didn't think he could turn Andy into a GS champion, I honestly don't think he would have taken on this role.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #41 on: January 01, 2012, 01:43 PM »

Brilliant news on the appointment of Lendl also interesting to hear that he has to start immediately which must bode well for the AO.  Looking forward to seeing Lendl's face when Andy starts shouting at his trainers box during his matches!  Seriously though, glad Andy has finally settled the coach issue and I wish them all the very best for 2012.  Can I also wish all those on MW a very happy, prosperous, healthy and peaceful new year.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #42 on: January 01, 2012, 01:43 PM »

Muzza doesn't do anything on a whim and the delay in this appointment is another example of this.  He would've weighed up the pros and cons and it seems like he is finally ready to stride into the next phase of his career.  Get in!
IP Logged
araminta
Futures Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #43 on: January 01, 2012, 02:12 PM »

Hasnt Andy already won a match in Brisbane. His doubles with Baghdatis>
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #44 on: January 01, 2012, 02:30 PM »

Happy New Year to all.

I am very pleased with Andy's announcement and am excited that this will turn out really well and bring many trophies this year. A winning combination for sure trophy

I have watched some of Lendl video against Becker and Ivan certainly seemed ruthlessly efficient and lethal, especially those against Sanchez and McEnroe in the chest !!! They were definitely hurt by those bullets. He even laughed it off with Graf afterwards ! What a guy.
[ Last edit by Philip January 01, 2012, 02:38 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »