Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray appoints Lendl as new coach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray appoints Lendl as new coach

(Read 4199 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #90 on: January 08, 2012, 06:55 AM »

Nice story Alis Smile So positive too. Lendl was so grim on court, it's good to get all these anecdotes about him thumb up
IP Logged
killieboyd
Junior

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #91 on: January 08, 2012, 08:02 AM »

I met him at the Grasscourt Championships at Edinburgh's Craiglockhart in 1987.  I asked for his autograph and a photo and he was very, very nice.  I don't think they had that tournament again. I think McEnroe is still the defending champion.
Yeah was that the match that he played Jimmy Connors in he final?
I think both Andy and Lendl have a very dry sense of humour.  I'm really excited about 2012.

Was that the final that he played connors?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #92 on: January 08, 2012, 04:47 PM »

Really nice down to earth sort of guy - exactly like our Andy.  I'm liking this match up more and more (even though I wasn't a Lendl fan in his day as Johnnie Mac was more my sort of tennis player).  And I gather Andy referred to him as 'Mr Lendl' in his post-match interview, something about him hiding in the stands?  Shows a nice mixture of respect and gentle teasing sounds like, which is just right. 
IP Logged
penelopypitstop

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #93 on: January 08, 2012, 06:06 PM »

Thank you!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #94 on: January 08, 2012, 07:17 PM »

Interesting video of Ivan Lendl. Lots of similarities too!

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #95 on: January 08, 2012, 07:27 PM »

My son caddied for Lendl when he played Carnoustie several years ago - he didn't know anything about him other than he was a famous 'old' tennis player but came home singing his praises saying what a nice down to earth guy he was with a great sense of humour - and he gave him a great tip!

Love that Alis.  I'm always interested in 'real' stories because we get an insight into the actual person rather than what the media feeds us.
Thanks for sharing.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #96 on: January 08, 2012, 07:32 PM »

Welcome penelopypitstop! wave
IP Logged
penelopypitstop

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #97 on: January 08, 2012, 08:03 PM »

yay Cheers!
IP Logged
kel3350
Junior

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #98 on: January 08, 2012, 09:02 PM »

It really does bring back that era.  The rivalries were fierce and no-one pretended that they were best pals with the opposition.  I'm sure that didn't mean that they were all at war and it would appear that most of them have settled their differences now.  Nowadays everyone is supposed to be on great terms - I just don't believe it.  I'm sure some of them get on but Federer and Murray - I don't think so!! 
Exactly. There are no flies on Muzz, he (and Nole) sussed out Fed's BS from the get go.
IP Logged
kel3350
Junior

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #99 on: January 08, 2012, 09:09 PM »

Hopefully this is the final piece of the jigsaw in place to help Andy achieve his GS goal. Lendl for sure will help with the mental aspect aswell as physical. I can see this could also turn Andy into a legitimate threat at RG too so Nadal watch out!!!
I don't believe Andy can take three sets off a healthy Rafa on clay.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #100 on: January 08, 2012, 09:40 PM »

^ok an unhealthy nadal will suffice..It's not as if nadal and co hav,nt beaten injured people on their way to a major win.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #101 on: January 09, 2012, 06:54 AM »

I don't believe Andy can take three sets off a healthy Rafa on clay.

I like Andy's chances for RG very much. 1) no pressure 2) Ivan will have been working with him for 3 months by then 3) Ivan has won RG 4) Andy reached semis last year 5) Andy was schooled on clay

So there Whistle
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #102 on: January 09, 2012, 07:50 AM »

My acknowledgement is to Michelle for this very encouraging information, which she posted on another thread, since this mean-fisted Scot wasn't willing to pay The Times £2 for the privilege of accessing the article in question!

This is part of an article by Neil Harman in todays Times. This is what Darren Cahill said"Getting a good person alongside like Ivan is crucial. I was there at the first meeting in Miami last month. We sat down for three hours talking about tennis and I thought Ivan was inspiring. The fact that he has never coached before is irrelevant. he understands the sport and the way he used to go about his game was the mark of a professional athlete." He felt that once Andy wins a GS the floodgates will open. Re Andy's team he said "Andy has a great team, a bunch of strong, loyal,intelligent guys who have been like concrete around him over 5 yrs. For all of them it will be a wonderful day when he fulfills his dream. Hopefully, it's not too far away. I'm confident that it's not."

I'd somehow missed this.  Thanks for sharing Aileen and very encouraging yes
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #103 on: January 09, 2012, 11:30 AM »

I like Andy's chances for RG very much. 1) no pressure 2) Ivan will have been working with him for 3 months by then 3) Ivan has won RG 4) Andy reached semis last year 5) Andy was schooled on clay

So there Whistle

............  and RG was Lendl's first major which he won totally against the odds having come back from 2 sets down against Johnny Mac.  Mac mentioned in his book that that defeat was one that stayed with him for a long, long time and still bugs him to this day - I'm not sure that he ever won RG, did he?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray appoints Lendl as new coach « Reply #104 on: January 13, 2012, 08:17 PM »

Mod NoticeThe recent discussion on this thread has now been moved to: http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/lendl-is-murray's-new-coach/

This is due to the current thread being an official news article and therefore is not appropriate to remain active in the long-term. The topic is now locked to help avoid confusion.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »