Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours

(Read 4599 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « on: December 29, 2012, 12:36 AM »

Andy Murray's exceptional year of achievement has been recognised with an OBE in the Queen's New Year's Honours list.

Murray became the first British player to take home a grand slam title since Fred Perry in 1936 when he beat Novak Djokovic in the US Open final in September.

The Scot also won gold in the London Olympics and reached the Wimbledon final, finishing the year ranked world number three.

An amazing 127 British Olympians were recognised in the annual celebration of achievement, including cyclist Bradley Wiggins and sailor Ben Ainslie, who both received knighthoods.
[ Last edit by Mark December 29, 2012, 02:42 AM ] IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:37 AM »

Ok not that I am neccessarly thinking that Andy deserved to be knighted or anything but 1 Gold Medal and 1 Silver Medal along with a Major compared to Bradley who won 1 Gold Medal and a Tour de France

Why did Bradley deserve more?

Mod NoticeMerged topics.
[ Last edit by Mark December 29, 2012, 02:43 AM ] IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 12:38 AM »

Sir Bradley wiggins..your having a laugh.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:06 AM »

yay  So well deserved. Smile  And I'm glad that for once David Cameron kept a promise, i.e. that our Olympians and Paralympians would be recognised in the QNYHL - and in case anyone doesn't know, who gets these awards is not decided by the Queen, despite the title, but by a special Parliamentary committee.  The Queen merely hands the medals out although she can veto a suggested recipient.

It's time though that they kicked the "British Empire" bit out, but apparently HM wants to keep it for as long as she is alive, although I can't for the life of me see why given that the Empire ceased to exist decades ago.

By the way, Andy and the others will already have known about the awards because nominated recipients are now given the right to refuse them if they so wish before they're announced, something which wasn't always the case and which gave rise to some embarrassing public refusals.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 01:08 AM »

I would rather he won his first round in Brisbane, couldn't care less about the honors system.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:13 AM »

Don't know why Murray only got an OBE and Wiggins got a knighthood.. WTF!?!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 01:31 AM »

http://www1.skysports.com/olympics/news/12110/8364725/Add-an-OBE-to-2012-US-Open-and-Olympic-titles-for-British-tennis-star-Andy-Murray

So Wiggo gets a knighthood for winning a major and Olympic gold, Murray does the exact same thing, yet only gets an OBE? Are you ******* kidding me? REALLY QUEEN? REALLY?

Anyway congrats to Andy, it's the least he deserves after the year he's had!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 01:52 AM »

Wiggins was already a CBE, based on his previous achievements, so this year's award is essentially a promotion. 

Higher awards are more readily given to older sportsmen too, as it's generally about accumulated achievement, especially if they are nearing retirement.   In the past there have been a few raised eyebrows at throwing too many higher honours at younger athletes, and the sense that Knighthoods in sport really should be reserved for people retiring, who have been around a long time, or who cannot achieve any more.    There was talk that this year they had to be more measured, which is unfair for those who excel young, especially in sports that suit the young (swimming and gymnastics spring to mind).

It'll be why Kath Grainger got a CBE, a higher honour than Andy's OBE, despite most people thinking that Andy's achievements are of a higher quality.  However, she's older, achieved over many years, and is very probably retiring and won't be winning any more big prizes. 

I'd have quite liked Andy to get the CBE, but I think he'd have felt silly with a Knighthood, and it's right he doesn't get that just yet.  If he wins Wimbledon in the next couple of years he can get the CBE.  There's a good chance they'll give him a Knighthood on retirement if he continues to represent top flight tennis, with or without another slam, and I'm sure that was part of the discussion.

For comparison, Tim got his OBE, Sue Barker is an MBE and Virginia Wade is an OBE.  Andrew Castle and Greg Rudeski have no letters!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 01:57 AM »

Well deserved.

He'll get a knighthood once he retires with his 10 Slams.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 02:19 AM »

I've just read that Chris Froome has received nothing, which seems odd.  He was second in TdF, with many claiming he could have won if he'd not been picked as Wiggins' support, or at least won more individual legs.  He also got the bronze in the time trial.

2nd in TdF was also a first for a Brit, and he doesn't have any existing letters to his name, although perhaps he said he wasn't interested.

Actually, just realised that while he cycles for Britain, he wasn't actually born here, and may not identify himself entirely as British, or care for the honour system.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 02:26 AM »

http://www1.skysports.com/olympics/news/12110/8364725/Add-an-OBE-to-2012-US-Open-and-Olympic-titles-for-British-tennis-star-Andy-Murray

So Wiggo gets a knighthood for winning a major and Olympic gold, Murray does the exact same thing, yet only gets an OBE? Are you f**king kidding me? REALLY QUEEN? REALLY?
As I mentioned in an earlier post the Queen doesn't decide who gets these awards.  These decisions are made by a Parliamentary committee, so you can blame them instead! LOL

As for Wiggo, he's 32 and so has had a longer career than Andy.  Also he already has a CBE, and Knighthoods are only awarded to those who already have one of these honours.  As for his achievements, apart from winning the Tour de France this year, his other successes, according to his Wiki which has been updated remarkably quickly, include "Winning six cycling World Championships, his first in 2003 and his most recent in 2008. He won a bronze medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics, a gold, a silver and a bronze at the 2004 Summer Olympics, two golds at the 2008 Summer Olympics and a gold at the 2012 Summer Olympics."

Quite impressive!  If Andy can win a few more Slams, and Wimbledon in particular, plus perhaps another medal or two in Rio, then we should be looking at a Knighthood.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 02:53 AM »

I was going to make some comment on Brad's achievements, but you appear to have done that for me Aileen. goodjob

It might seem a little harsh on some other sports people that have missed out on awards, and we can only speculate on the why's and the were fores.  

Let's not detract from the fabulous year that many have had and raise a glass to all partyman
[ Last edit by Bevc December 29, 2012, 06:15 AM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 03:10 AM »

The longer I'm away from Old Blighty, the stranger things appear. It all sounds so archaic.

I don't really care about the Queen's honours list, unless Andy does.

I agree he's way too young to be called Sir Andy. That would be silly.

Bet his dear grandparents are just wallowing in it. Bless.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 03:51 AM »

Andy's Wikipedia has already been updated -

"Andy Murray, OBE (born 15 May 1987) is a Scottish professional tennis player ..."

Looks pretty good that along with Olympic gold medal winner and US Open champion. Smile
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 03:59 AM »

Regardless of what I just said, that looks so good in print Aileen.  wub  clap

Sometimes these damned Scottish genes of mine are uncontrollable.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »