Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours

(Read 6107 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 10:12 AM »

What do you mean?

Ben Ainslie wasnt awarded his knighthood for him winning gold this year at the Olympics, this was his 4th Olympic gold. Brad Wiggins is our most successful Olympian and Tour De France winner. Jess Ennis has won other titles, as has Mo. Yes, Andy has had a terrific year but he said himself that he's too young for a Knighthood. There's a world of information out there google
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 10:35 AM »

Ben Ainslie wasnt awarded his knighthood for him winning gold this year at the Olympics, this was his 4th Olympic gold. Brad Wiggins is our most successful Olympian and Tour De France winner. Jess Ennis has won other titles, as has Mo. Yes, Andy has had a terrific year but he said himself that he's too young for a Knighthood. There's a world of information out there google

"Won't just be for this year", could've meant a few things - I was just clarifying. I know how to Google thanks Smile

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 10:37 AM »

I would rather he won his first round in Brisbane, couldn't care less about the honors system.

The Honours system has become seriously devalued since the Lefties started handing them out to lollipop ladies. An old schoolmate of mine is an MBE for services to... Housing. Yes, he was an Assistant Housing Manager with the local council. It's beneath contempt.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 11:05 AM »

What is OBE?

For those who need some info....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_British_Empire

(And yes, think so too, he has to win Wimbledon for a higher one....)
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 11:12 AM »

The Honours system has become seriously devalued since the Lefties started handing them out to lollipop ladies. An old schoolmate of mine is an MBE for services to... Housing. Yes, he was an Assistant Housing Manager with the local council. It's beneath contempt.

Someone must have nominated him? My husband has a Dame working for him, voluntarily.

"Won't just be for this year", could've meant a few things - I was just clarifying. I know how to Google thanks Smile

goodjob
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 11:34 AM »

BOOOOOM   Very Happy       wow   totally out of blue  but so deserved.      Smile  happy for Andy

Everyone seems to be so obsessed with "Sir"  Bradley Wiggans.      "Sir"  lol.   
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 11:36 AM »

Congratulations to Andy. I too was a bit surprised that he didn't get the same as Jess Ennis, Mo Farah etc, but suppose he probably has more opportunities to add to his sporting achievements than they do. I'm pretty sure he'll get an upgrade at some point.

BBC report says " ... there were four criteria in deciding which athletes should be awarded including longevity in the sport, general performance and how much they give back to the sporting community.

The sporting honours committee also assesses what stage the individual is in their career in terms of whether they are likely to be competing for a further number of years".

It looks quiye funny in a tweet: First official match of the new season sees @andy_murray (OBE) play Ito/qualifier @BrisbaneTennis. Then possibly Klizan, Dolgopolov, Raonic. (Piers Newbury)
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 12:11 PM »

Awesome news! Congrats to Andy, so very well deserved! This has been an incredible year for him and his fans!!  trophy  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 12:51 PM »

My favourite author JK Rowling got a knighthood.

She has since gone down hill from there.

Bad thoughts!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 12:54 PM »

Congratulations to Andy. I too was a bit surprised that he didn't get the same as Jess Ennis, Mo Farah etc, but suppose he probably has more opportunities to add to his sporting achievements than they do. I'm pretty sure he'll get an upgrade at some point.

BBC report says " ... there were four criteria in deciding which athletes should be awarded including longevity in the sport, general performance and how much they give back to the sporting community.

The sporting honours committee also assesses what stage the individual is in their career in terms of whether they are likely to be competing for a further number of years".

It looks quiye funny in a tweet: First official match of the new season sees @andy_murray (OBE) play Ito/qualifier @BrisbaneTennis. Then possibly Klizan, Dolgopolov, Raonic. (Piers Newbury)
Thanks Elena that makes it a bit more clear as to why he got OBE.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 12:58 PM »

I am afraid I do not agree with the honor system. I think of all the people who have put in many hours of work for charity and other good causes. In fact it is the government who make the decisions about who gets what honor. I congratulate all the athletes who took part in the olympic games and for all the hard work they put in to achieve their medals. I also congratulate Andy for his terrific year he has had but this was due to all the hard work and self belief he has in himself. So well done Andy you have had a brilliant year. I wish you all the best for 2013. I hope there are more GS for you.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #41 on: December 29, 2012, 12:59 PM »

I

Isnt Sir Chris Hoy the most successful Olympian?

IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 01:05 PM »

Do you think it will appear on the scoreboards now :P
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 04:11 PM »

Castle, Croft etc are going to be choking!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #44 on: December 29, 2012, 04:18 PM »

I am afraid I do not agree with the honor system. I think of all the people who have put in many hours of work for charity and other good causes. In fact it is the government who make the decisions about who gets what honor. I congratulate all the athletes who took part in the olympic games and for all the hard work they put in to achieve their medals. I also congratulate Andy for his terrific year he has had but this was due to all the hard work and self belief he has in himself. So well done Andy you have had a brilliant year. I wish you all the best for 2013. I hope there are more GS for you.
I agree alot wrong with honours system lb (but not that it goes to unsung people who make a difference locally as grabcopy objects to) but I'm pretty sure it was reformed a few years ago so that it's not the government that makes the decisions. They're made by an independent committee but yes I think they then have to pass through no 10.  I don't think the Queen is involved at all until it comes to handing them out.
I don't suppose it will mean very much to Andy's peers in the tennis world outside UK but it's still nice for him and for tennis to get the recognition.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »