Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours

(Read 5140 times)
robbie 26

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #90 on: December 30, 2012, 05:20 PM »

confused  It's too bad Andy's name isn't TIM HENMAN or he would have been knighted the day after the US Open. ~~Why Wiggens was knighted I don't know. So he won the Tour de France, but he had other cyclists in the race deciding where he would finish, in other words he only won because of other people's efforts, also, because he's English.
Andy has only been awarded the same as T. Henman, yet he is the first Brit to win a Slam for 76 years and the first Brit to win Gold in tennis at the Olympics since 1908. Is that fair?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #91 on: December 30, 2012, 05:20 PM »

Who knows they keep on changing the name every time Wimbledon comes around.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #92 on: December 30, 2012, 05:21 PM »

Who actually cares about outdated honours' awards Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #93 on: December 30, 2012, 05:25 PM »

They couldn't give Wiggins the OBE because it would be too near what OBE stands for i.e. Other Buggers' Efforts.    Andy doesn't need a knighthood - he's a gentleman
of the first order.
IP Logged
starrieyed

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #94 on: December 30, 2012, 05:26 PM »

Robbie I have no problem with 'Wiggo' being Knighted....he has many Gold medals as well as other great achievments. If Henman won Wimbeldon....the Queen would have been removed to The Tower and beheaded and Henman installed as the new King,
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #95 on: December 30, 2012, 06:27 PM »

I had to read the article and I left a comment of course. Anyone can publish anything on social media and this is an example of just utter rubbish. Not only that, but its horrible. Maybe "Queen" just wants to shock to get a reaction. Which she has achieved, the horrible person.
In retrospect I don't blame her as much as I do whoever edits the MSN homepage for highlighting  her article and embellishing it by dragging out that comment, and also for adding that pic of Andy which wasn't even in the article.  The article itself is vaguely amusing, if not exactly clever, but it's Andy who's the target of her venom.  If she or the MSN editor wanted to get a shock reaction, they certainly managed it.

Oh come on people - this is a comedy piece. Surely our senses of humour haven't totally deserted us!
If you think that referring to Andy's emotional speech after his Wimbledon loss as "acting" whilst ignoring his great achievements is in any way amusing, then I don't think it says much for you as an Andy supporter - and I do have a very good sense of humour.

They couldn't give Wiggins the OBE because it would be too near what OBE stands for i.e. Other Buggers' Efforts.    Andy doesn't need a knighthood - he's a gentleman
of the first order.
So very true, and I'm decidedly sick of all the fawning that's going on over Wiggins.  Even Ainslie is getting pushed to one side, but then he's another modest, unassuming person, unlike Wiggins who enjoys courting attention.

Goodness knows why so many people find cycling events like the TdF so attractive, given that they've  been riddled with drug cheats for decades - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling
[ Last edit by Aileen December 30, 2012, 06:59 PM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #96 on: December 30, 2012, 06:31 PM »

Should it me called Henman Hill or Murray Mount?
what about Murrayman mountain?  w00t
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #97 on: December 30, 2012, 07:03 PM »

If you think that referring to Andy's emotional speech after his Wimbledon loss as "acting" whilst ignoring his great achievements is in any way amusing, then I don't think it says much for you as an Andy supporter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling

Oh Aileen, I didn't say I agreed with the piece,  I saw it as a light-hearted thing having a dig at all sorts of issues around the honours. As for the hate comments, they'll always appear every time Andy is mentioned and quickly spill over into politics and racism. It comes with the territory. I get far more worried when so-called serious sports commentators dis Andy, and thankfully they are fewer now. It doesn't do to get too precious  when your man's being funned, that way leads to Federerism. Heaven forfend!!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #98 on: December 30, 2012, 07:25 PM »

what about Murrayman mountain?  w00t
Bit slow on the uptake, but now i get your drift - how about Henrry Hill? No, scrub that, has to be Murray's Mount. And I'll bet you he gets a statue there one day too, then it'll be official!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #99 on: December 30, 2012, 07:53 PM »

Oh Aileen, I didn't say I agreed with the piece,  I saw it as a light-hearted thing having a dig at all sorts of issues around the honours. As for the hate comments, they'll always appear every time Andy is mentioned and quickly spill over into politics and racism. It comes with the territory. I get far more worried when so-called serious sports commentators dis Andy, and thankfully they are fewer now. It doesn't do to get too precious  when your man's being funned, that way leads to Federerism. Heaven forfend!!
My apologies for misunderstanding your post, fiverings.  I guess I just get a bit over-sensitive where Andy's concerned because like you I know what he's gone through to achieve what he did.

Bit slow on the uptake, but now i get your drift - how about Henrry Hill? No, scrub that, has to be Murray's Mount. And I'll bet you he gets a statue there one day too, then it'll be official!
Disagree - it has to remain as Henman Hill, and Andy himself as said that.  Henman does, after all, deserve to be recognised at Wimbledon.  I've no doubt there will be a statue to Andy but I'm sure another prominent place can be found.  It's literally decades since I was last there, but I seem to recall a main entrance gate.  Near that would be very suitable, and then everyone could see it.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #100 on: December 30, 2012, 08:23 PM »

Whilst this is a brilliant recognition of Andy's amazing achievements there appears to be some disparity raising it head in the media over the lack of recognition for the paralympians, was listening to a bit on the radio this afternoon about it. 
I think knighting Wiggins is a bit over the top as his behaviour after the SPOTY awards which was pictured in the papers was not one of a heroic sportsman, looking a bit worse for wear and drinking straight from a bottle of whiskey.  I dont feel that is an image that he should be portraying when so many youngsters are looking up to him.  I think he is an arrogant man but then again there are so many people who think Andy is a dour scot and we all know on here that is not true !!!!!

I just hope that Andy can go forward from his amazing 2012 into 2013 and then he will get the true recognition that his efforts truly deserve and I really hope that when he goes to collect his award he turns up in his kilt.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #101 on: December 30, 2012, 09:49 PM »

, looking a bit worse for wear and drinking straight from a bottle of whiskey.  I dont feel that is an image that he should be portraying when so many youngsters are looking up to him.  

...and the rest: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2188427/Bradley-Wiggins-celebrates-Olympic-gold-medal-wine-cigarettes-holiday-Mallorca.html
[ Last edit by Grabcopy December 30, 2012, 09:54 PM ] IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #102 on: December 30, 2012, 09:57 PM »

I'm with you.  People need to remind themselves that parody accounts, and general mickey taking humour require a few foils, and the vast majority won't take it seriously - fans or non-fans alike.   It's so obviously rubbish that Andy was acting, or that's why he got his award, that it's impossible to take genuine offence.

There are some idiots out there who know nothing, and who say mean stuff in all seriousness.  I have seen several comments from ignorant sorts who cannot understand why Andy was offered, or would accept an award when he's "openly anti-British" etc.    People genuinely believe that and other stuff proven to be nonsense, and that's far more damaging than a bit of mickey taking.

Remember, the reason Andy is often "picked on" in these articles is because he's one of the most famous and well known.  They were never going to pick a quote about a random rower that no-one knows to sell the piece, no matter how funny it was.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #103 on: December 31, 2012, 01:01 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2254678/Andy-Murray-wont-complain-OBE.html#ixzz2GaQThJeg

Andy Murray would have every right to feel aggrieved for receiving ‘only’ an OBE in the New Year’s honours, but you will not find Britain’s best tennis player complaining about it — his focus is firmly on 2013, when he says his main aim, aside from winning matches, will be to retain his Fantasy Football title.
Murray’s historic 2012 included Olympic singles gold and the US Open title (the first Slam title by a British man for 76 years) in tennis’s greatest era for quality bar none, as well as being voted into third place in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

Yet Murray’s OBE was two tiers down from the award handed to Bradley Wiggins (knighthood), a tier below the CBEs handed to Mo Farah, Jess Ennis, Victoria Pendleton and Kath Grainger, and on the same level as up-and-coming cyclist Laura Trott and dressage rider Charlotte Dujardin.

--------------

I thought an OBE was a tier above a CBE. I'm still very happy for Andy but a little miffed I have to say.
[ Last edit by IonaRed December 31, 2012, 01:04 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #104 on: December 31, 2012, 01:39 AM »

I'm with you.  People need to remind themselves that parody accounts, and general mickey taking humour require a few foils, and the vast majority won't take it seriously - fans or non-fans alike.   It's so obviously rubbish that Andy was acting, or that's why he got his award, that it's impossible to take genuine offence.

There are some idiots out there who know nothing, and who say mean stuff in all seriousness.  I have seen several comments from ignorant sorts who cannot understand why Andy was offered, or would accept an award when he's "openly anti-British" etc.    People genuinely believe that and other stuff proven to be nonsense, and that's far more damaging than a bit of mickey taking.

Remember, the reason Andy is often "picked on" in these articles is because he's one of the most famous and well known.  They were never going to pick a quote about a random rower that no-one knows to sell the piece, no matter how funny it was.
Well I'm still is disagreement about this.  Did you actually look at the MSN homepage?  If you did you would have seen that article highlighted with an equally pathetic comment beside a pic of Andy almost in tears.  I'm prepared to believe that the author of the article didn't expect this, but I think the editor of the homepage should be ashamed of him/herself.  Relatively benign parody is one thing, cruel parody quite another.  However, if nothing else, at least publicising it showed just how many supporters Andy has.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2254678/Andy-Murray-wont-complain-OBE.html#ixzz2GaQThJeg

Andy Murray would have every right to feel aggrieved for receiving ‘only’ an OBE in the New Year’s honours, but you will not find Britain’s best tennis player complaining about it — his focus is firmly on 2013, when he says his main aim, aside from winning matches, will be to retain his Fantasy Football title.
Murray’s historic 2012 included Olympic singles gold and the US Open title (the first Slam title by a British man for 76 years) in tennis’s greatest era for quality bar none, as well as being voted into third place in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

Yet Murray’s OBE was two tiers down from the award handed to Bradley Wiggins (knighthood), a tier below the CBEs handed to Mo Farah, Jess Ennis, Victoria Pendleton and Kath Grainger, and on the same level as up-and-coming cyclist Laura Trott and dressage rider Charlotte Dujardin.

--------------

I thought an OBE was a tier above a CBE. I'm still very happy for Andy but a little miffed I have to say.
It definitely isn't - MBE, OBE and then CBE - and I'm not complaining about it either.  Typical modest Andy humour though that his second aim in 2013 is to retain his Fantasy Football title!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »