Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours

(Read 5930 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #105 on: December 31, 2012, 12:55 PM »

British honours system rates Ennis achievement as greater than Andy Murray's. Laughable and embarrassing.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #106 on: December 31, 2012, 01:56 PM »

^ Yep, I agree Rob, it isn't fair at all but I guess we all know that Andy is gonna be knighted some time or the other. So we gotta just wait n watch wink
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #107 on: December 31, 2012, 01:59 PM »

British honours system rates Ennis achievement as greater than Andy Murray's. Laughable and embarrassing.

Don't think it does. There is I suspect an element of political correctness in the nature of the awards to both Ennis and Farah. I really expect they know Murray will be in line for a knighthood in a couple of years. Obviously they have to hold something back for when he wins Wimbledon. I am happy with the OBE - for now.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #108 on: December 31, 2012, 02:01 PM »

I am happy with the OBE - for now.

Ditto.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #109 on: December 31, 2012, 02:10 PM »

I don't get all this Wiggo hype. Yes he won the Tour De France and Olympic gold without the use of drugs, but for the Tour De France, I don't think there has been another champion who won it without drugs and that could have a bad effect on Wiggo because it's a pretty corrupt event and when people forget about that he won it without drugs I think he will blend in with the other corrupt champions of the past.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #110 on: December 31, 2012, 02:45 PM »

Ditto.

Me too! As others have said, if Andy is happy about it, then so am I.

Judy has retweeted something from "Elizabeth Windsor" this morning, so she can't be too offended by the Andy comment if she read it. EW does have nearly a million followers, not bad for a parody account.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #111 on: December 31, 2012, 02:55 PM »

Very happy for Andy - so deserving of this.  I also agree that there may be more to come.
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #112 on: December 31, 2012, 05:13 PM »

Very happy for Andy - so deserving of this.  I also agree that there may be more to come.

Yup, it's early days for Andy, we just have to be patient and support him whatever happens in his career.

Congratulations on the OBE and all the best for the new year and all it holds for you Andy.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #113 on: December 31, 2012, 05:32 PM »

Don't think it does. There is I suspect an element of political correctness in the nature of the awards to both Ennis and Farah. I really expect they know Murray will be in line for a knighthood in a couple of years. Obviously they have to hold something back for when he wins Wimbledon. I am happy with the OBE - for now.
Agreed. There is probably a recognition that Andy is capable of much more -  the others are  played-out, so to speak.  Its really no big deal. The real prizes are those he wins on the courts.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #114 on: December 31, 2012, 06:29 PM »

I'm sure I've read before that there has to be a gap of either six or seven years between receiving Honours from the British awards system.  This was why Bruce Forsyth had to wait until 2011 before getting his knighthood despite a lot of petitions etc. - he'd been awarded a CBE in 2005.

Andy will have to wait until 2019 or so for his knighthood.
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #115 on: December 31, 2012, 06:36 PM »

I'm sure I've read before that there has to be a gap of either six or seven years between receiving Honours from the British awards system.  This was why Bruce Forsyth had to wait until 2011 before getting his knighthood despite a lot of petitions etc. - he'd been awarded a CBE in 2005.

Bradley Wiggins was awarded a CBE in 2008..
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #116 on: December 31, 2012, 06:39 PM »

I don't think there is a fixed gap. I can think of someone immediately who got an O.B.E in 1980 and then a knighthood in 1995.
IP Logged
caroline
Seed

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #117 on: December 31, 2012, 07:05 PM »

Well done to Andy Murray  for his obe award well deserved and more to come in the future of that I am sure.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #118 on: December 31, 2012, 07:19 PM »

Me too! As others have said, if Andy is happy about it, then so am I.

Judy has retweeted something from "Elizabeth Windsor" this morning, so she can't be too offended by the Andy comment if she read it. EW does have nearly a million followers, not bad for a parody account.
I can't believe she's better than PseudoFed! w00t
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #119 on: December 31, 2012, 07:24 PM »

Bradley Wiggins was awarded a CBE in 2008..

And Chris Hoy - MBE in 2005, Knighthood in 2009...

I can't believe she's better than PseudoFed! w00t

No, not from what I've seen! It all seems a bit obvious - but I've only seen retweets by various people.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »