Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours

(Read 6020 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #120 on: December 31, 2012, 08:12 PM »

There is probably a recognition that Andy is capable of much more -  the others are  played-out, so to speak.  Its really no big deal. The real prizes are those he wins on the courts.
I agree.  Andy is very proud of this honour but he'll be even more proud when he wins more Slams.

British honours system rates Ennis achievement as greater than Andy Murray's. Laughable and embarrassing.
Not only is Jessica the current Olympic heptathlon champion, she's also the former European and world heptathlon champion and the former world indoor pentathlon champion. In addition, she's the current British national record holder for the heptathlon, the indoor pentathlon, the high jump and the 100 metres hurdles.  Excelling in seven different disciplines is no mean feat.
[ Last edit by Aileen December 31, 2012, 11:07 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #121 on: December 31, 2012, 10:44 PM »

Yes he won the Tour De France and Olympic gold without the use of drugs, but for the Tour De France,

Unless you count the marijuana.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #122 on: January 01, 2013, 08:15 AM »

^ Wow, you don't like him do you?
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #123 on: January 01, 2013, 01:14 PM »

Given the huge efforts many people are making to try and reduce drinking in UK I thought it was a bit crass of Bradley to go on about the free bar at the BBC in his SPOY speech. There is something vaguely anarchic about him - a showman who appeals to the media whereas Andy is just a typical shy and self effacing Scottish lad who is so desperate to win that he swears on court giving some an excuse to disapprove of him. I expect all sportsmen swear certainly in football and  probably Bradley swears like a trooper. Unfortunately a tennis player cannot avoid the constant close-up scrutiny of a camera and this does not help Andy. 

I was annoyed when I read this disrespectful comment in Sunday Times - John Aizlewood - an article about  2012 heroes which had Andy near the end of the list after some English cricketers and Neil Lennon!

"Andy Murray : destined to have the demeanour of a sulky teenager even when he becomes a pensioner waiting for Meals on Wheels. But fair's fair, he did win a Grand Slam at last. "
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #124 on: January 01, 2013, 02:29 PM »

That is why people get upset about the English press. I think that many people particularly celebs on TV who are asked to go to the regions eg Glasgow or Manchester think they are going to Outer Mongolia. This attitude should be nipped in the bud after all Scots do pay their licence fees and we do have all the modern conveniences. Waken up I think most Scots do get fed up with all the noise from celebs who do not have a clue what life in the "Regions" is about. Anne Robinson and some News readers.More programs should be moved to the North instead of all the cut backs just to please London.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #125 on: January 01, 2013, 04:28 PM »

Given the huge efforts many people are making to try and reduce drinking in UK I thought it was a bit crass of Bradley to go on about the free bar at the BBC in his SPOY speech. There is something vaguely anarchic about him - a showman who appeals to the media whereas Andy is just a typical shy and self effacing Scottish lad who is so desperate to win that he swears on court giving some an excuse to disapprove of him. I expect all sportsmen swear certainly in football and  probably Bradley swears like a trooper. Unfortunately a tennis player cannot avoid the constant close-up scrutiny of a camera and this does not help Andy. 

I couldn't agree more.

Andy's problem, if you could call it that, is that a certain type of people desperately want someone to disapprove of, someone they can look down their noses at and tut-tut to their little hearts content, whilst showing not one iota of knowledge about his sport and treating Wimbledon as basically Henley Regatta minus the water and boats, or Ascot minus the horses.

Wiggins, on the other hand, is regarded as a 'character', so he's allowed to open his mouth and say the first thing that comes out of it, regardless of how stupid it is. He's allowed to joke, etc, because he's considered (God forbid) 'a man of the people'.

Personally I'd rather have Andy, even with the odd expletive, than Wiggins any day of the week, because Andy comes across as real. For all Wiggins' down to earth thing, personally I think he comes across as being incredibly false. To my mind he's basically Federer on a bike.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #126 on: January 01, 2013, 04:29 PM »

I was annoyed when I read this disrespectful comment in Sunday Times - John Aizlewood - an article about  2012 heroes which had Andy near the end of the list after some English cricketers and Neil Lennon!

"Andy Murray : destined to have the demeanour of a sulky teenager even when he becomes a pensioner waiting for Meals on Wheels. But fair's fair, he did win a Grand Slam at last. "
Will Andy/we never be able to silence jerks like Aizlewood? I don't react to Andy being listed after cricketers on the list but the other scathing remark is bl**dy stupid. That line of comment is so well worn and so old it's got hairs on it.!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #127 on: January 01, 2013, 04:37 PM »

Teejay1: "To my mind (Wiggins) he's basically Federer on a bike."  roflmao

Yes, I think I see the likeness. I've nothing against Wiggins, he's an eccentric type and popular with many. Its a good think we dont all go for the same types.

Reading the postings here, MW may become known as the Anti-Wiggan Forum if we're not careful!

Andy Murray OBE, is totally "my type". wub
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #128 on: January 01, 2013, 04:43 PM »

Who cares. yawn There will always be detractors.

It says more about the person when they feel a need to bring others down.

I'm sure Andy doesn't give a toss.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #129 on: January 02, 2013, 04:59 PM »

Mark Steel in a piece sending up the honours today:
'Instead of an OBE, AM should be made a Ludicrously Unappreciated Marvel'   yay
From this and earlier pieces Steel is clearly a fan -another candidate for honorary membership of MW?
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #130 on: January 02, 2013, 06:01 PM »

OBE? Where's the Empire?

These joke awards need to be radically changed and only people really deserving should get them...like those that work for the community who are not known and not just because they can hold a tennis racquet or ride a bicycle.  These 'stars' are amply rewarded financially and with their 'likes' on Facebook!
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #131 on: January 02, 2013, 06:47 PM »

I'm not too bothered by this honours nonsence anyone can get one these days its not as unique and special as perhaps it once was.

Congrats to Andy i do think he deserves the recognition he is getting, although you can't help feel if he was different ( more extraverted, attention-seeking, english, or supremely goodlooking) he'd be getting more. 

Were not bothered though are we? We would rather Andy trains hard, maintains his focus and has a phenomenal 2013.

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #132 on: January 03, 2013, 10:13 AM »

IMO, the fact that 'stars' get them is part of what makes them more interesting and appreciated when the hard working members of the community are also awarded them.  It shouldn't be that way, but that's how it works.  My old boss had some kind of award that she claimed was equivalent to an MBE from a professional body, but no-one actually took it seriously because we didn't know anyone else who had one.

It's also worth remembering that Andy's award is for services to tennis, while the cyclists get it for services to cycling, and the athletes get it for services to athletics.  No-one should be fooled into thinking they've got it for services to saving lives.  There is some explanation for the different levels and it's to do with a contribution to society and/or the standing of the country.  Winning medals at the Olympics and major international sporting events counts towards that, as do the scientists who make major breakthroughs and even the odd pop star or actor.  Sport and culture may seem frivolous by comparison to science and coal-face community work, but these different fields all enrich our lives.

The trick is not to think of the awards as more than they actually are, but IMO, I have no issue with a formal "well done" from the state, even if it is a bit hap-hazard sometimes.   Most countries have an honours system, so I'm not sure why people act as if we're the only ones.  We're the only ones with BE in the name, but it's just a name.  They could change the titles, but that's not making any actual difference.  Some of the foreign titles are equally ridiculous sounding, but that's part of the fun.

I remember the first time I worked with someone with a CBE, and I spent the whole day imagining him on a horse, commanding people, which made me smile.  In reality, he was just a very bright, very capable scientist working for the government who had contributed considerably to health policy for not nearly as much pay as he'd have got in the private sector.

I'm with Rachie though.  It's a nice thing, but nothing to get worked up about.  Andy is more focused on training, which is exactly how it should be.   It's not as if being awarded the OBE to match Tim Henman means that people think he's just now reached the same level as him.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"ELIZABETH GWEN 27.4.70" in Chit-Chat.

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #133 on: January 03, 2013, 12:51 PM »

What about Brisbane. He’s just beaten Millman in 3 sets, but there’s no live video coverage although ESPN is covering the quarters. Thank Christ!!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #134 on: January 03, 2013, 01:24 PM »

I still don't understand why anyone would take issue with the honours system, not now. In the past, far enough. I think it's fair to say that in the past you could see people receiving honours for what amounts to nothing, but now anyone can nominate a person to receive an honour, so I don't understand any quibble about 'normal' people not getting them. Sure, the publicity is always around the big names who get them, but frankly that is because 'normal' people don't sell newspapers. I mean, what would you rather read about, the local lollipop lady you wouldn't know from Adam getting a C.B.E. or an Olympic Gold medalist getting the same award?

Sports, the arts, whatever, all enrich our lives. More than that though, someone like Andy, as we all know, has worked for years to be in the position to win majors. People might watch one match, the odd big final, but what they have not seen is the years of dedication that has gone in to that level of performance. Also, Andy, for example, plays across the world representing our country, even if he is technically playing for himself, so why shouldn't his country honour what he has done?

Of course, for Andy, like any other sportsman, it's the titles that matter the most. That clearly goes without saying. Still, I think it's good that the country honours and respects hard work and acheivement.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »