Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray bashed out in the quarters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray bashed out in the quarters  (Read 2182 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 03:53 PM »

Yep, I like that about Andy. It does give his detractors ammunition though - not that he cares !
Why should he care anyway when so often in the past the media have undeservedly kicked him around?
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 03:59 PM »

^ Oh dear - a lot of fiddling around and twtiching going on, and the contents of his right ear seemed to be of much more interest than the journo's questions. lol   Can't say I blame him though - having to answer the same old questions and to explain why you thought you'd lost a match so soon after coming off court won't be something that players will relish.
His after match video's are painful to watch.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 04:01 PM »

Why should he care anyway when so often in the past the media have undeservedly kicked him around?

Hehe. There's something about Andy's sometimes surly style that appeals to my latent Scottish ' get it up ye' genes !
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 04:07 PM »

I feel Andy has always had the beating of Delpo because he has so much variety to his game. I think Delpo hates it when you give him no pace, you can drop shot him now and again and come to the net now and again. Andy has done this very well in the past to great effect. Last night most of the time it was hit the ball harder and if that didn't work then hit it harder again. I really feel for Andy all the commies kept saying that to win a major he had to become more aggressive, which he's done.Now obviously sometimes that's going to work and sometimes it's not.Giles Simon beats Delpotro nearly every time he plays him and he plays him the same way Andy has always played against him.The only difference is Andy does everything much much better than Giles Simon does. It's true what Mark Petchey and Peter Flemming have always said sometimes you can mess to much with a players game and then you spoil everything that was good in the first place. I think Andy just needs to find the right balance in his game of when to attack and when to be more aggressive. And I'm sure he will do that with great success its just going to take a bit of time.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 05:05 PM »

Thanks for the video.  I toojk the oppurtunity of watching the Fun Intervire by CNN.  It was very amusing.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 05:09 PM »

I feel Andy has always had the beating of Delpo because he has so much variety to his game. I think Delpo hates it when you give him no pace, you can drop shot him now and again and come to the net now and again. Andy has done this very well in the past to great effect. Last night most of the time it was hit the ball harder and if that didn't work then hit it harder again. I really feel for Andy all the commies kept saying that to win a major he had to become more aggressive, which he's done.Now obviously sometimes that's going to work and sometimes it's not.Giles Simon beats Delpotro nearly every time he plays him and he plays him the same way Andy has always played against him.The only difference is Andy does everything much much better than Giles Simon does. It's true what Mark Petchey and Peter Flemming have always said sometimes you can mess to much with a players game and then you spoil everything that was good in the first place. I think Andy just needs to find the right balance in his game of when to attack and when to be more aggressive. And I'm sure he will do that with great success its just going to take a bit of time.
Wise words Caroline.  And thanks for the match report Nigel.  I recorded the match.  Might watch some of it but certainly not all.
I've posted my thoughts at greater length on the match thread but it's good to see that most people are being philosophical about this loss and are defending Andy against those who turn on him the minute he falters.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 05:14 PM »

I might not have the same understanding of tactics in tennis as a lot of you. But was it really the wrong idea to go for the shots and play aggressively? The point, to my mind, was that his precision was simply missing. Or is this the price he pays for this aggressive style? And was delPotro really so much better, or did it all come down to Andy playing unusually erratically? Of course, delPotro did well in keeping the ball in the match and showed patience, which is normally Andy's strength. Yet, his winner stats are not that brilliant.
One more word of optimism: Andy will soon be No. 2, will be second seed in Miami, will certainly appear match-fit there. One bad tournament cannot spoil the whole picture for me.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 06:20 PM »

I might not have the same understanding of tactics in tennis as a lot of you. But was it really the wrong idea to go for the shots and play aggressively? The point, to my mind, was that his precision was simply missing. Or is this the price he pays for this aggressive style? And was delPotro really so much better, or did it all come down to Andy playing unusually erratically? Of course, delPotro did well in keeping the ball in the match and showed patience, which is normally Andy's strength. Yet, his winner stats are not that brilliant.
One more word of optimism: Andy will soon be No. 2, will be second seed in Miami, will certainly appear match-fit there. One bad tournament cannot spoil the whole picture for me.
No it was not wrong of Andy to go for his shots and be more aggressive counter-puncher,I like you think that lack of match play didn't help.Maybe
he would have made those shots if he'd of played a little more tennis since the AO who knows. But at the end of the day all Andy needs to do is just add a
few things to his game so that he becomes more aggressive when he needs to be. Not change the type of player he is and always has been. He can do so much with the ball iv always thought his talent for variety is second to none at the top of the men's game he can do so much with the ball, maybe sometimes he has to many options. But I don't ever want them to change the type of player he is I just want Ivan to add a thing or two to his game to make him an even better player.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 06:57 PM »

One bad tournament cannot spoil the whole picture for me.
I think that goes for all of us despite some of the comments that appear on the forum when Andy's playing below the very high standard we know he can play at.
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 08:13 PM »

I think that goes for all of us despite some of the comments that appear on the forum when Andy's playing below the very high standard we know he can play at.
yes like i said in my post he could have been off colour everyone entitled to a off day . to be honest i thought this forum was to support andy (people are entitled to their views i know) any way we can wether he has a good day or a bad day .wont bother me  i will support him no matter what .always a reason why  a top race horse doesnt win everytime it runs so why should andy be any different not saying he is horse of course .
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #40 on: March 16, 2013, 09:17 PM »

Andy had 8 aces and 8 double faults. So can't say he was playing all that well to begin with. He was nervous and tentative for whatever reason. I thought I saw a very different Andy in the whole tournament who never once looked comfortable against anyone no matter who he played.

So let's see what Miami unfolds for us. It's entirely possible he's too eager to start the clay season and not focusing as much here. Time will tell.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #41 on: March 16, 2013, 09:34 PM »

yes like i said in my post he could have been off colour everyone entitled to a off day . to be honest i thought this forum was to support andy (people are entitled to their views i know) any way we can wether he has a good day or a bad day .wont bother me  i will support him no matter what .always a reason why  a top race horse doesnt win everytime it runs so why should andy be any different not saying he is a horse of course .
The thing is that most of us when we're having an off-day at work can somehow often manage to get round it, even to the extent of just phoning in "sick" and not turning up at all.  Andy doesn't have that luxury in what is effectively his job but has to go on court in front of thousands of spectators, as well as those watching on TV or livestreams, regardless knowing that every error, no matter how small, will be plain for all to see and comment upon.  That, to me, takes a lot of guts, and I doubt many of his armchair critics would relish being in the same position.

It's entirely possible he's too eager to start the clay season and not focusing as much here.
That has crossed my mind as well, and I think I have already mentioned it, because he's said repeatedly that his focus is the clay-court season, as if IW and Miami are just something to be got through in order to give him the much-needed match practice.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 16, 2013, 09:43 PM ] IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 12:23 AM »

Well doubters-Delpo defeats Djoko-doesn't make Andy's defeat look too bad now does it?
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 12:30 AM »

The thing is that most of us when we're having an off-day at work can somehow often manage to get round it, even to the extent of just phoning in "sick" and not turning up at all.
/quote]

You been spying on me this week Aileen Wink
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bashed out in the quarters « Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 01:39 AM »

Well doubters-Delpo defeats Djoko-doesn't make Andy's defeat look too bad now does it?
Not too bad, but Andy still played rubbish after the first set, and he knows it.

You been spying on me this week Aileen Wink
Not telling. secret service agent
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply