Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray bashed out of Paris 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray bashed out of Paris

(Read 5102 times)
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #165 on: November 14, 2011, 02:23 PM »

Yes Aileen there are a lot of Scots who don't particularly like Andy but they are not tennis fans.   Mostly they watch Wimbledon and not much else and keep one eye on
results from the big tournaments but I've yet to meet a Scots TENNIS fan who doesn't like Andy.    In England it is a bit different.    Many people there will dislike his
persona as people here do - then add on the fact that he is Scots - and doesn't apologise for that - it all means he will never have full support in England.   Therefore
he has all the pressure Tim Henman had without the support.    I'm glad to find on MW how many English fans he does have and that they love him as I do - very
smart cookies!!

We’re English (Scottish in background too) & love him to bits.  I hope it is not true than many people in England dislike him.  I’ve heard the odd stupid remark by an English person being interviewed in a crowd and while everyone is entitled to their opinion, frankly it usually comes across that the person is just not too bright and so I put it down to ignorance and stupidity. I find it hard to believe that what you are saying is the general opinion.

I expect there are also some who are not in general ignorant, but who are unable to accept him fully until he is able to be more in control of his emotions when upset. He has made huge headway in this and will get it all together with maturity.

As far as the dour thing, that is stupid too,  I've heard it said a lot by comms and as we know it is rubbish. If only everyone were as smart as we are ....  Whistle
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #166 on: November 14, 2011, 02:39 PM »

When I hear people say the have a wee bit Scottish blood, I tell them there's a little bit of good in everybody! w00t
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #167 on: November 14, 2011, 03:54 PM »

No, but I regularly read him in Tennis magazine online. You inspired me to check out the book on Amazon, and I just did the old 'Look inside' thing. Must ask for it for Xmas, particularly as I grew up in the Borg-Connors-McEnroe time - an era that ignited my passion for the sport.
Excellent, perhaps we'll chat when you've read it. Incidentally, did not think I could dislike Connors any more than I did already, but by the end of the book I found I could!
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #168 on: November 14, 2011, 04:19 PM »

Just watched Countdown with John Parrot in dictionary corner and Jeff Stelling asked him who was the hardest player to beat.  He said Steve Davis and when he did eventually beat him, along came Stephen Hendry.  I guess parallels can be drawn with Andy's situation.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #169 on: November 14, 2011, 04:36 PM »

Excellent, perhaps we'll chat when you've read it. Incidentally, did not think I could dislike Connors any more than I did already, but by the end of the book I found I could!

Yeah, a despicable character but fabulous player. When Agassi retired and he walked back to the locker room, all the players and coaches stood and applauded - except Connors, who was leaning against the wall, arms folded. Generously, Agassi said 'We should all be so true to ourselves'.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #170 on: November 14, 2011, 07:11 PM »

When I hear people say the have a wee bit Scottish blood, I tell them there's a little bit of good in everybody! w00t

Thanks!   w00t  more than a wee bit, pretty strong, but way back   Smile
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #171 on: November 14, 2011, 07:16 PM »

Going to check the library for the Tignor/McEnroe book.

Tried the voting for Andy but have not yet found where on the site to do it.  Don't like clicking on links to sign in etc.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #172 on: November 14, 2011, 07:29 PM »

Aileen, can I recommend Steve Tignor's book, "High Strung"? It's mainly about the Borg- Mac- Connors rivalry, but contains lots of other info. as well. I rarely read non-fiction but I loved it. Tignor writes very poetically.
Thanks for the recommendation BBH.  Will certainly treat myself to this. It was a truly amazing era in tennis. Smile

The thing is, London is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world.   When you go to Wimbledon you realise that the leafy SW19 courts are not entirely inhabited by the cucumber-sandwich brigade.  Tennis enthusiasts from every part of the globe find their way there, same with the O2.  This is what makes London-based tennis so thrilling, all the players get amazing support.

Our Andy is perceived as the golden boy with the home-grown media going bananas over his every word, action and deed and yet he finds himself playing in packed arenas with the crowd very often leaning towards his opponent.  It was the same when Tim Henman played at Wimbledon.  I was there for his semi-final against Ivanisavic and was amazed, and disappointed, to find so many of the centre-court crowd were there primarily to support Agassi in the other semi with Rafter.  

Andy is very highly thought of by real tennis fans, be they English or any other nationality.  But in London we get a diverse mix cheering on their faves against the apparent home-grown favoured son... even the other players appear to relish his precious scalp on his own turf, making victory over him that much sweeter.   His Surrey home is a little too far away from the centre of London for him to even be able to sleep in his own bed, so he has to stay at the same hotel as the other guys.

The irony is that playing in London is not as advantageous as it might seem for Andy.  For all of that I get the distinct impression that he absolutely loves it.  yay
That is very interesting, Clementine - particularly what you say about that greatly protracted Henman/Ivanesivic match.  Just shows how we may have actually got it a little wrong about Henman's popularity at SW19.

IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #173 on: November 14, 2011, 08:02 PM »

We’re English (Scottish in background too) & love him to bits.  I hope it is not true than many people in England dislike him.  I’ve heard the odd stupid remark by an English person being interviewed in a crowd and while everyone is entitled to their opinion, frankly it usually comes across that the person is just not too bright and so I put it down to ignorance and stupidity. I find it hard to believe that what you are saying is the general opinion.

I expect there are also some who are not in general ignorant, but who are unable to accept him fully until he is able to be more in control of his emotions when upset. He has made huge headway in this and will get it all together with maturity.

As far as the dour thing, that is stupid too,  I've heard it said a lot by comms and as we know it is rubbish. If only everyone were as smart as we are ....  Whistle

Genuine Tennis fans from anywhere in GB appreciate how great Andy is, its just the ignorant non fans that make stupid comments.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #174 on: November 14, 2011, 08:19 PM »

Totally agree - a genuine tennis fan would admire his talent and skills and not be bothered about where he hails from.  Though I must admit us scots are very proud of him!!!!
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #175 on: November 14, 2011, 08:36 PM »

There are many great Scots and Andy is certainly one of them!!  Hated seeing Mr Smug win in Paris....I'm ready for his time to be over.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #176 on: November 14, 2011, 10:09 PM »

Totally agree - a genuine tennis fan would admire his talent and skills and not be bothered about where he hails from.  Though I must admit us scots are very proud of him!!!!

And so you should be!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #177 on: November 15, 2011, 12:46 AM »

Totally agree - a genuine tennis fan would admire his talent and skills and not be bothered about where he hails from.  Though I must admit us scots are very proud of him!!!!
I agree.  Heman had a big following in Scotland.  The fact that he was English made no difference.  He was British and a very good player, and that's what mattered.  

Of course we should be proud of Andy!  A wee nation with a population slightly less than a tenth of that of England, and noted more for its devotion to football, producing a player of his calibre is definitely something to be proud of.  Goodness knows, we may never see his likes again, so let's appreciate him while we have him.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #178 on: November 16, 2011, 11:01 AM »

Yeah, a despicable character but fabulous player, Connors...

So he was the Fed of his day then?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #179 on: November 16, 2011, 12:15 PM »

Tasmanian Devil, trust you are joking? Connors was the worst sportsman ever. Have posted elsewhere he once spat at Mac's team. Can't imagine Fed doing that.
Also would say, Fed a far better player anyway.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »