Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray bashed out of Paris 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray bashed out of Paris

(Read 5642 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray bashed out of Paris « on: November 11, 2011, 04:27 PM »

Andy Murray crashed out of the Paris Masters today after an enthralling yet petulant and error filled encounter with Tomas Berdych. The Czech took just over three hours to wrap up a 4-6, 7-6, 6-4 victory over the second seed.

Murray looked lethargic from the outset and the unforced error count started to increase alarmingly. Whether this was due to the effects of a long season, a re-occurrence of the hamstring injury that kept him out of Basel, or tiredness due to too much MW3, only the Scot knows.

Berdych dictated play and Murray spent the majority of the match scrambling three meters behind the baseline.  This in itself is not unusual, especially in matches against heavy hitting ball strikers, but the Scot's serve - always a mixed proposition - misfired alarmingly.

Murray will be disappointed by the way he twice came from behind only to throw the opportunity away. The Czech served for the second set at 5-4, but a series of tight looking unforced errors gave Murray the break back. In the tiebreak the Scot again fell behind, slipping to 4-2 before rallying to 5-4. Unfortunately a simple forehand miss handed Berdych the crucial final mini break.

In the third set Murray spurned multiple break points before sliding to 0-40 on his own serve. Two break points were saved before the Scot inexplicably double faulted.

Murray will now return to London to begin his preparations for the World Tour Finals at the O2.
[ Last edit by boogers November 11, 2011, 05:06 PM ] IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 04:31 PM »

Dammit, didn't see the third set and I come back to find this! doh

He just can't seem to go far in this tournament. Momentum halted and Federer is right back at him for the no 3 spot.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 04:36 PM »

Terrible performance filled with mental midgetry. He'll probably end the year in 4th spot now - can't see Federer not winning this event, which I think takes the pressure off him in London.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 04:37 PM »

I wonder if we'll see a rematch of this in the WTF groups... Think
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 04:38 PM »

Hm. Same surface (near enough)... probably a similar outcome.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 04:38 PM »

Shame. Andy just doesn't seem to get on playing in Paris. Onwards and forwards at WTF.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise as he'll have more rest before London. Andy has defended his points from last year anyway so let's leave the others to beat themselves in Paris. Federer will have a ton of points to defend at WTF.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 04:41 PM »

Tough match to watch if you are a diehard Murray fan, I feel as if I have been through the wars. Third set was so stressful that I had to put it on pause and managed to go through a half bottle of black sumbuca and cry in the last point of the match. I was soooooooooo hoping Andy would win. But I'm still an Andy fan eat **** or die!
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 04:42 PM »

It's a sin to lose to the world #6 these days.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 04:46 PM »

Terrible performance filled with mental midgetry. He'll probably end the year in 4th spot now - can't see Federer not winning this event, which I think takes the pressure off him in London.
No it wasn't. You are way too harsh. Berdych played very well. Andy's serve went AWOL again and when that happens, he struggles, we all know that.
However, after a 3 hour marathon with some twinges lurking, there's no way he'd have beaten Fed, so that's good. Hope Tsonga takes it anyway.
To the WTF we come. Onward and upward.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 04:51 PM »

Shame that Fed did not have Berdych in the Quarters!  Monaco for Fed what a joke, Fed should be finished in an hour.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 04:52 PM »

Can anyone tell me will Andy still be World No. 3  after this event?
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 04:55 PM »

Can anyone tell me will Andy still be World No. 3  after this event?
He will, especially as the points from last year's WTF come offon Monday.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 05:05 PM »

Thanks Allan. I just want him to hold on to that no. 3 spot!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 05:06 PM »

BBH you are quite right it was a hard match and there was a bit of bad luck when he lost the 2nd set tie break He had had a hectic few months an his run has come to an end. Still a great player and he will look forward to the O2. It will give him more time to get over all the little nigggles he has. Like his ham string an right elbow problem. Annabelle Croft said he had a sore elbow. He needs a few days R & R and he will be fresh when he goes to the O2.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 05:07 PM »

That was sad Andy but it happens.  You worked hard but it wasn’t your day.  I said earlier that I don’t dislike Berdych—should have added—if it wasn’t for that long arm of his. Anyway, that’s the trouble with winning streaks, they always come to an end somewhere.  Still, London is coming up & you will shine again.  I don’t think anyone likes playing in Paris much, or for some reason it seems like a hard one to win.  Must be the balls.  Keep smiling & we'll see you again soon!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »