Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray bashed out of Paris 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray bashed out of Paris

(Read 5315 times)
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #180 on: November 16, 2011, 04:59 PM »

Tasmanian Devil, trust you are joking?

I don't know the first thing about Connors.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #181 on: November 17, 2011, 04:42 AM »

I don't know the first thing about Connors.
Connors was a great American player who won 8 GSs between 1974 and 1983.  Unfortunately he was also an inufferable buffoon and a boor who would throw the most outrageous tantrums, one of which saw him banned for six weeks, a period which took in the French Open.

His on-court antics, designed to get the crowd involved, both helped and hurt his play. Schwartz said, "While tennis fans enjoyed Connors' gritty style and his never-say-die attitude, they often were shocked by his antics. His sometimes vulgar on-court behavior—like giving the finger to a linesman after disagreeing with a call or strutting about the court with the tennis racket handle between his legs; sometimes he would yank on the handle in a grotesque manner and his fans would go wild or groan in disapproval—did not help his approval rating. During the early part of his career, Connors frequently argued with umpires, linesmen, the players union, Davis Cup officials and other players. He was even booed at Wimbledon – a rare show of disapproval there—for snubbing the Parade of Champions on the first day of the Centenary in 1977." His brash behavior both on and off the court earned him a reputation as the brat of the tennis world. Tennis commentator Bud Collins nicknamed Connors the "Brash Basher of Belleville" after the St Louis suburb where he grew up.  But Connors himself thrived on the energy of the crowd, positive or negative, and manipulated and exploited it to his advantage in many of the greatest matches of his career.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #182 on: November 17, 2011, 06:34 AM »

Aileen, it was his contemptuous attitude to the other players, which I couldn't stand. Of course rivals aren't going to be best buddies but..... shocking
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #183 on: November 17, 2011, 07:06 AM »

Wow Aileen......and there was me thinking John Mac. was the bad boy! Gulp!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #184 on: November 17, 2011, 09:16 AM »

Well, they vied for the title of 'Bad Boy of Tennis' from what I can remember.  Some of the matches they played against one another were more memorable for the histrionics on court than the tennis - they just wouldn't get away with it these days.  They were both fantastic players though - Connors still holds so many records that seem to be impossible to better.

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #185 on: November 17, 2011, 10:25 AM »

Well, they vied for the title of 'Bad Boy of Tennis' from what I can remember.  Some of the matches they played against one another were more memorable for the histrionics on court than the tennis - they just wouldn't get away with it these days.  They were both fantastic players though - Connors still holds so many records that seem to be impossible to better.

Thanks Alis......I wasn't a big tennis fan until 'Oor Andy' came along, but I'd love to see some of those matches now! I'll have to see what I can find when I have time! Very Happy
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #186 on: November 17, 2011, 12:40 PM »

Connors was a great American player who won 8 GSs between 1974 and 1983.  Unfortunately he was also an inufferable buffoon and a boor who would throw the most outrageous tantrums, one of which saw him banned for six weeks, a period which took in the French Open.

His on-court antics, designed to get the crowd involved, both helped and hurt his play. Schwartz said, "While tennis fans enjoyed Connors' gritty style and his never-say-die attitude, they often were shocked by his antics. His sometimes vulgar on-court behavior—like giving the finger to a linesman after disagreeing with a call or strutting about the court with the tennis racket handle between his legs; sometimes he would yank on the handle in a grotesque manner and his fans would go wild or groan in disapproval—did not help his approval rating. During the early part of his career, Connors frequently argued with umpires, linesmen, the players union, Davis Cup officials and other players. He was even booed at Wimbledon – a rare show of disapproval there—for snubbing the Parade of Champions on the first day of the Centenary in 1977." His brash behavior both on and off the court earned him a reputation as the brat of the tennis world. Tennis commentator Bud Collins nicknamed Connors the "Brash Basher of Belleville" after the St Louis suburb where he grew up.  But Connors himself thrived on the energy of the crowd, positive or negative, and manipulated and exploited it to his advantage in many of the greatest matches of his career.
Yes never liked Connors - didn't have Johnmac's redeeming features or his wonderful touch.  That quote sums him up well.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #187 on: November 17, 2011, 01:17 PM »

Never liked watching Connors.    His style was as ugly as his personality.   Effective though.
We're lucky to have Andy.    Great to watch AND a nice guy.    My favourite before Andy came
along was Pat Rafter - great volleyer, good to watch and a really nice person.   Tennis is such
a personal sport that I find it difficult to watch someone I don't like.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #188 on: November 17, 2011, 02:23 PM »

I was seduced into the wonderful world of tennis by John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg way back when I was a teenager.  I was off school with flu, lying on the sofa in the living room with nothing on the telly except Wimbledon on BBC2 (there were 3 TV channels then. and no such thing as a remote control... some of you remember I'm sure!).
I couldn't wait to see what McEnroe would do/say.  To me he was always an exciting player to watch.  I'll never forget the 1980 Wimbledon Final (which Bjorg won in a tense 5-setter.)  What a classic!
Connors, on the other hand, had the gobby-mouth but none of the excellence-of-touch that McEnroe could produce.
Here's an example of Connor's behaviour, which I think speaks for itself: (I say bring back those shorts!) Wink and a kiss

IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #189 on: November 17, 2011, 04:35 PM »

One of the most memorable matches for me was Ashe beating Connors at Wimbledon final. Hah! hammer
Oh noooo, not the shorts  yuk
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #190 on: November 17, 2011, 04:36 PM »

One of the most memorable matches for me was Ashe beating Connors at Wimbledon final. Hah! hammer
Yeah. Ashe is another of my tennis heroes.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #191 on: November 17, 2011, 05:15 PM »

Same here.  I had no idea he was such a tit.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #192 on: November 17, 2011, 06:19 PM »

Same here.  I had no idea he was such a tit.
lmao
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #193 on: November 18, 2011, 04:13 AM »

I was seduced into the wonderful world of tennis by John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg way back when I was a teenager.  I was off school with flu, lying on the sofa in the living room with nothing on the telly except Wimbledon on BBC2 (there were 3 TV channels then. and no such thing as a remote control... some of you remember I'm sure!).
I couldn't wait to see what McEnroe would do/say.  To me he was always an exciting player to watch.  I'll never forget the 1980 Wimbledon Final (which Bjorg won in a tense 5-setter.)  What a classic!
Connors, on the other hand, had the gobby-mouth but none of the excellence-of-touch that McEnroe could produce.
Here's an example of Connor's behaviour, which I think speaks for itself: (I say bring back those shorts!) Wink and a kiss

Well the pair of them sure livened up the sport!

I can't remember the exact year Connors threw the tantrum which saw him banned for 6 weeks, which included the French Open, but it was quite late in his career and taught him a lesson because his behaviour did improve after that.

Tried to get the youtube video of that incident embedded on here but can't.  However, if you click on this link and scroll down to "Zolbol's Tennis Special 56" then click on the picture, you'll get it, or at least part of it.  I've seen the whole thing somewhere, and his histrionics did continue beyond where that clip stops. Connors totally lost the plot.  Not a pretty sight.

http://uk.search-results.com/web?l=dis&o=100000051&q=jimmy+connors+tantrums+youtube&atb=sysid%3D406%3Aappid%3D101%3Auid%3D478ddc04d2e8455a%3Auc%3D1315586409%3Aq%3Djimmy+connors+tantrums+youtube%3Asrc%3Dcrb%3Ao%3D100000051
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray bashed out of Paris « Reply #194 on: November 18, 2011, 09:04 PM »

This the one, Aileen?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »