Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray battles into quarters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray battles into quarters  (Read 925 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Murray battles into quarters « on: March 14, 2013, 02:31 AM »

Andy Murray moved into the quarter finals of the BNP Paribas Open after a gripping 7-6(4), 6-4 victory over the resilient Carlos Berlocq.

Murray had to dig deep to overcome his heavy hitting opponent, twice having to come from a break down in the opening set as he attempted to live with the Argentinian. But as the match went on the US Open champion started to assert his dominance, fired up by Berlocq’s excessive grunting, and battled his way to a hard-fought straight set victory.

The Argentinian came out of the gate all guns blazing and Murray was quickly on the back foot. Some heavy hitting pushed Murray way behind the baseline and in the third game the pressure finally told; the raw power from Berlocq forcing the Brit into a mis-hit on the first break point to give the Argentinian the early advantage.

Murray looked to respond immediately, carving out two break back points in the following game. But Berlocq saved well – the first opening up the court with a big first serve, the second with a blistering backhand winner from well out of court, drawing loud gasps from the crowd on Stadium 2. The Argentinian held after the third seed hit a second serve return long, and the frustration from the Brit was palpable.

Read more (519 words)
But Murray continued to put pressure on his South American opponent, and after a solid hold he launched another attack on the Berlocq serve. The aggression went up a notch and this time the Brit did break back – carving out more break points after a stunning backhand pass, before Berlocq netted to allow Murray back into the match.

The Argentinian would not relent, however, and after another barrage of heavy groundstrokes he forced another break point at 4-4. And after a marathon game, the South American eventually sealed the crucial break with a blistering return. Murray was struggling to live with the power of Berlocq, who just wasn’t missing.

But Murray wasn’t out of it yet. Firing himself up, he managed to break the Argentinian straight back; chasing down a drop shot and slamming a forehand past Berlocq. The lion was roaring, and he followed that up with a love game courtesy of some scorching forehands to edge ahead 6-5. It was clear the intensity in Murray’s game had gone up a notch, and both players were now going toe-to-toe from the baseline as the set moved into a tie-break.

And it was Murray who took the initiative, edging into a 3-1 lead with the aid of a Berlocq double fault. But the Brit handed the advantage straight back with a careless shot that floated beyond the baseline, and Berlocq was able to peg him back level. But the Scot was persistent, and after digging out two set points his opponent fired an overhead long to hand Murray the first set.

The momentum was now all with the Brit - managing to break in the opening game of the second set after Berlocq narrowly missed with a powerful forehand, before consolidating with an ace. But Berlocq wasn’t beaten just yet, and as Murray’s concentration dipped the Argentinian was able to break back, aided by a number of errors from the Brit. And although he managed to create two break points in the following game, Berlocq saved again with some massive groundstrokes to edge ahead in the second set.

The world number three was looking to regain the advantage and at 3-3 he forged out more break points after a scintillating point; firing a backhand to one corner before negotiating a difficult slice volley deep into the corner, spinning away from Berlocq’s outstretched racquet. And this time he did break; picking Berlocq off with an inch perfect lob after the Argentinian rushed the net.

The topsy-turvy nature of the match continued, and Berlocq found himself with an immediate break back point. But Murray’s response was impeccable; fending off the danger with his eighth ace and some solid defence to bring himself within touching distance of the quarter finals. And the Scot sealed the victory on his first match point, letting out a roar of delight after a Berlocq forehand flashed long.

In the quarter-finals Murray will face the seventh seed Juan Martin Del Potro, who thrashed the 19th seed Tommy Haas 6-1, 6-2. These two haven't met since 2009, where Murray prevailed in three sets at the World Tour Finals.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter March 14, 2013, 04:00 AM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 02:39 AM »

Magnificent match report!

Glad that's over and done with.

I've missed the Andy Roar!

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 04:52 AM »

Missed the match so the report kinda made up for it. Smile
And looking forward to reading the whole match thread.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 05:27 AM »

, fired up by Berlocq’s excessive grunting
I’ll say, ha, Andy used it to his advantage. Great report.
Well done, Andy, in this and the previous match.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 06:09 AM »

Great report, that was the win of a Champion, determined not to be beaten. he will build on this and come out on Friday with all guns blazing. cmonandy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:14 AM »

How I wish I had seen it Rolling Eyes

Well done Andy clap
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:42 AM »

What a brilliant match report, TMH. I felt like I was there  clap
Hope Andy finds his rhythm and his range against Delboy yay
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:12 AM »

Thanks for the 1st Class report TMH! I didn't manage to see the match, but now I feel I have! Hey.....I thought I spotted you BBH!  Whistle
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 07:30 AM »

Your match report says it all. Well written.  yes, the lion roared. and how did he roar! Next time against Del Potro, I wish.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 08:04 AM »

What a match report! I wish I could have seen it. I was on the edge of my seat just reading it Thankyou very much
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:18 PM »

Let me add to the long list congratulations on the quality of the report, TMH. Real Boy's Own stuff.  Tune in tomorrow for the next thrilling instalment! Little tongue man
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 12:47 PM »

Thanks for the report.  I recorded the match but was in two minds whether to watch as it recorded hours and from radio report this morning didn't sound like much fun to watch, with too much loud grunting.  But your report makes it sound truly gripping so will hang on to the recording and watch it when I get the chance. 
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 01:04 PM »

Thanks for the report. I watched the match is was brilliant, what a match, so exciting. Glad Andy put him in his place, he said Andy was taking to long while serving, when has Andy ever done that in his whole career! The grunting from Berlocq was horrendous never heard a bloke grunt like that.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 01:22 PM »

Thanks for the report. I also thought it was an exciting match, with all its twists and turns, and a bit of personal animosity thrown in. Glad it was over in two sets though.

You can hear Andy talking about the grunting here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21782218
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
Challenger Level

Re: Murray battles into quarters « Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 02:05 PM »

I know that it's early days, but any possibility of putting on the match as I failed to record it and did not watch it.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply