Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray battles into round two 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray battles into round two

(Read 3144 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #45 on: August 28, 2012, 09:26 PM »

Humidity in this country does me in too - and rain does sometimes make it even worse - so I can only imagine what it must be like in the US.

Re Andy's poor serving, I can't help but wonder if playing on hard courts is reactivating the back issue he had earlier this year.  He said he hoped the injections he had would see him through until the USO but could it be that the effects are wearing off?  Just because we've never heard about it for months doesn't mean that the core problem has gone away, and Andy has played a lot of tennis recently - in the Olympics alone he also played one doubles and four mixed in addition to his singles.

I worry about that too Aileen, the injections are just masking the underlying problem.  We just have to hope that they see him through the next fortnight and then he can have some time off to recuperate. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #46 on: August 28, 2012, 10:01 PM »

Re Andy's poor serving, I can't help but wonder if playing on hard courts is reactivating the back issue he had earlier this year.  He said he hoped the injections he had would see him through until the USO but could it be that the effects are wearing off?  Just because we've never heard about it for months doesn't mean that the core problem has gone away, and Andy has played a lot of tennis recently - in the Olympics alone he also played one doubles and four mixed in addition to his singles.

Hi Aileen and All,

I did think about his back. He did stretch out a number of times now I think of it. I took it to be tension, then the onset of cramp. I hope it is just that.

Oh sure, I'm personally under no illusion that the back is magically fixed. I think Andy has played well in spite of it, it isn't that it went away. I wonder if he is trying to play it down now too, because of all the nonsense before.

I suppose we'll see how Andy goes on. I just feel he did okay to start and can build on it. I felt much happier when I saw Fed's stats. He dropped two more games than our Andy.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 10:06 PM »

[email protected] - many thanks, very kind of you.
Aileen and tj: yes I've been wondering about the back but there was no grimacing or anything to suggest pain.  And however much he might try I just don't think Andy could not grimace if the back were hurting.
I've now watched the rest of the match that I'd recorded and I feel rather more positive about it than I did.  The serve was looking better towards the end, even if not his best, and there was some great shot-making.  So I'm hoping that it was a combination of rust, nerves and not having quite the right preparation for the humidity + dealing with the wind.  Let's hope playing at night will help him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 01:22 AM »

Aileen and tj: yes I've been wondering about the back but there was no grimacing or anything to suggest pain.  And however much he might try I just don't think Andy could not grimace if the back were hurting.
He played through the AO and beyond before there was any indication of a problem which apparently started last November/December.   In fact it was the clay court season that finally caused him to admit it because he had to take time off and (probably mercifully) miss the slippery blue clay of Madrid.

I did notice in his Olympic SF against Djoko that twice, after running down a ball, he winced and held his back briefly - something the comms also saw but were OK about - i.e. no mention of 'drama queen', etc, etc, but then it wasn't Wade & Co!

He's got an excellent team and physio though and they'll be keeping him in the best possible shape.   
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #49 on: August 29, 2012, 01:57 AM »

I do not see why people are slating Muzz for his performance. Muzz got better stats than Fed. LOL.   Do the math.   Of course whenever Feds struggles in a routine.  This is what you get  Oh so wonderful. Just magical. I want you. Just showing your made of champion material.    Then. Andys match are just like. Poor. Mug. Classless.  Blah blah. And all that sh*t.  You already know how the media works anyway.  I will be very surprised by
 media and journos   If they aren't up inside Feds arse by the end of the week

lol  Fed cruised into the next round where as Andy struggled I think it was reported here.  And as you say, Andy did it in less games Think  and also in straight sets retard  Oh the joys Very Happy
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #50 on: August 29, 2012, 02:22 AM »

Some of the things Andy said during the on-court interview:

-"I sweated a lot.. had a little bit of cramp."

- He talked about dealing with the wind :"..trying to hit a flat ball at one end...changing the shape of your shots.."

- Gave himself a mark of "6 or 7 out of 10.. didn't serve particularly well, but I won in 3 sets against a tough player. That's what I needed to do." (Loud cheer from the crowd!)

-Interviewer then spoke about the Gold Medal Win in London (and the crowd went wild!! yes

-Spoke a little about the Wimbles loss, but Andy said "To win at the Olympics kind of made up for it."

When asked about his thoughts on public perception after his Wimbledon loss speech, he said: "I'm a very emotional person. Sometimes you see the negative side of it, sometimes you see the positive... I keep getting reminded it's been like a hundred years since anyone British won it."
Big crowd applause at this!

Johnny Mac said his interview at the end of the Bogo match worked out better than the match because it gave him a chance to talk and he engaged the crowd, and it was satisfying for both Andy and the crowd.

They say a picture paints a thousand words, so I took this pic of my TV during the interview.. This was his reaction to the crowd's cheers when they spoke about his Gold Medal Olympic win. Smile

* 029.JPG (477.4 KB, 1444x1080 - viewed 35 times.)

* 030.JPG (606.84 KB, 1444x1080 - viewed 38 times.)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #51 on: August 29, 2012, 02:40 AM »

Linda - I will love you forever for posting these. hug  And I've gone all teary-eyed again.  Andy looks really happy and a bit bashful as well.  It's great that he got the chance to interact with the crowd like this.  Hopefully their support will give him another boost for this tournament.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #52 on: August 29, 2012, 03:00 AM »

Aww those are fantastic photos of Andy. Thanks so much for posting.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #53 on: August 29, 2012, 06:57 AM »

Lovely, lovely pics, thanx. Me too but in a good way yay
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #54 on: August 29, 2012, 08:53 AM »

Oh fantastic pics! I wish I'd heard the interview even more now!  I just love the look of delight in his eyes whenever it is mentioned. He's obviously still proud of what he did, and he should be.

I think it does all of them good when they can engage with the public like this, but with Andy I think it helps because so much rubbish has been spouted. Now I think a lot more people are seeing him as he is, seeing how much he wants to be as good as he can be, and they like it. I think people saw clearly what losing the final at the Wimbledon Championships did to Andy. I honestly think a lot of people willed him on to his Olympic success and feel part of it. I think he has demonstrated now, once and for all, how brilliant he is, that he is a genuine contender, and I'm sure people will get behind him in the US. I hope so.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #55 on: August 29, 2012, 09:11 AM »

Oh thanks so much for transcribing and posting those lovely pics.  So pleasing to hear Andy getting such a good reception from the crowd when his medal was mentioned.
But poor old Andy is having to get used to this new level of fame.  Apparently he was doorstepped by a photographer outside his hotel who asked him about Harry and the 'crown jewels'.   Andy replied 'no comment' and ran away he said!  I can't see him ever revelling in the media attention in the way that smugfed and nole clearly do.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #56 on: August 29, 2012, 10:12 AM »

Thanks Linda - what fantastic pictures.  Does anyone know if the interview is on the internet anywhere?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #57 on: August 29, 2012, 10:51 AM »

I'm not sure it is which is why Linda v kindly transcribed.  But I guess you could try googling it in case it's on youtube or something - if you find it could you post it Alis?
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #58 on: August 29, 2012, 01:57 PM »

These nice pics partly make up for not finding the full interview. But one thing is for sure: over the past months you could observe Andy appearing ever more relaxed in off-court situations. The commercial (?) with "This can't be Andy Murray, he is laughing" wouldn't work any longer. Yet, one thing remains, which even my newspaper mentioned concerning the warm-up press conferences: his fidgeting around (nose, ears, watch, bottle, legs hood, laces etc.).
I still love watching Andy, may he drag himself over the court, may he show a sluggish body language, of course his fist pumps and energetic "C'mon!" as well as his facial expressions in joy and anger. I'm simply used to them and aware of not interpreting too much into them as long as the outcome is positive (as in the Bogo match). If the outcome is negative (e. g. vs. Chardy) then I'm suffering with him. But nothing is more boring to me than watching an emotionless player over hours. There are plenty of examples. One is even able to do magic on the court: he can rule over win and loss and is still boring. To me, at least.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray battles into round two « Reply #59 on: August 29, 2012, 02:11 PM »

Yes I think the fidgetting and the response to being doorstopped are both reflections of his fundamental lack of ease in dealing with the media - and I love him for it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »