Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray beaten in Memphis quarters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray beaten in Memphis quarters

(Read 815 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray beaten in Memphis quarters « on: February 24, 2006, 07:53 PM »

Andy Murray's fine run of form ended with a heavy defeat to Sweden's Robin Soderling in Memphis on Friday.

The 18-year-old will take over from Tim Henman as British number one on Monday following last week's win in San Jose.

Andy Murray went into his quarter-final on the back of seven straight wins and with a 2-0 record against Soderling.
Guess this result was always on the cards. Rest up Andy, re-group and digest your achievements against Roddick and Hewitt.
- ellyb (mw member)

But the punishing schedule finally caught up with the Scot and Soderling powered to a 6-1 6-4 victory and a place in the semi-finals.

Murray said:
I fought until the end of my match, just mentally it wasn't quite there today.

I was a little bit tired mentally. It's really difficult to keep a run going, especially after the week I had last week

- Full Story (bbc.co.uk) | ATP Audio: 1 / 2 / 3

IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Murray beaten in Memphis quarters « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 07:57 PM »

isn't it taking over from Rusedski as number 1?  confused
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray beaten in Memphis quarters « Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 08:00 PM »

No because Tim Henman is currently no1. If Greg took number one next week and then Murray officially became no1, THEN that would be the case. But on the ranking it will simply go from Henman to Murray.

BUT unofficially you are right.
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Murray beaten in Memphis quarters « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 08:03 PM »

Rusedski must be gutted.  For years he has been trying to overtake Henman, then he finally does it, and some teengage Scot jumps ahead of him at the same time.  To make it worse, the young Scot then says he doesn't really care about being no1, while Rusedski went to a Challenger in Ukraine to acheive it. roflmao
IP Logged
brighton babe
Challenger Level

Neue Jaffageschmack kuchen schlager Andy?

Murray beaten in Memphis quarters « Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 08:42 PM »

It's a shame he lost, but it had to end somewhere! he has done so well over the past few weeks, maybe it's best he has a bit of a break and do some training.
by the look of livescore Soderling's  seemed to have served really well shocking  
Andy has had some great matches latley and must have come away with more experience and confidence to help him on his way to that vital top 20!
well done andy! goodjob
IP Logged
wotnopimms
Futures Level

Murray beaten in Memphis quarters « Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 08:57 PM »

There's an audio interview - or bits of one - on the Memphis website. Andy speaking after the Soderling match. I think I have posted the links in the Submit news thread.  ( not v technical but learning!)
He sounds quite good and says he's looking forward to playing next week..... So Las Vegas is on then??!!
IP Logged
MadSkaDude
Satellite Level

Murray-Federer-Gasquet

Murray beaten in Memphis quarters « Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 09:39 PM »

Playing Vegas may not be a bad thing - I actually thought he'd make it to the final this week, I mean compare this weeks draw with last week's. He has a few days to rest up, get used to the court etc - hopefully another decent run will get him seeded for the masters Very Happy
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Murray beaten in Memphis quarters « Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 10:29 PM »

another article on the match:

Soderling Match
IP Logged
richie c
Futures Level

Murray beaten in Memphis quarters « Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 10:33 PM »

Congratulations Murray on a fantastic 2 wks. Not only did you play top class tennis, you exceeded your own expectations as well as ours. Not only myself but all the people here at MW ARE VERY PROUD OF YOU AND YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS SO FAR. You really have arrived on the big stage in stunning fashion. Long may you rule their
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Murray beaten in Memphis quarters « Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 12:25 AM »

Just been catching up on the match - he saved 7 match points?! Incredible - one thing you can say about Andy is that he never ever gives up!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5205-2057992,00.html

HE SAVED seven match points in seven minutes
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »