Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray beats Cilic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray beats Cilic

(Read 1534 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray beats Cilic « on: March 28, 2013, 09:00 PM »

Andy Murray advanced to the semi-finals of the Sony Open Masters in Miami with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Marin Cilic. The Croat has caused Murray trouble in the past, most recently at the US Open where he played lights out tennis before contriving to blow a set and 5-1 lead.

A visibly nervous Cilic opted to serve first and promptly offered up three break points. Murray was unable to convert and the Croat held, before earning break points of his own. Cilic did convert, and established a 2-0 lead.

Both players continued to struggling on serve, and more breaks of followed. Murray eventually grabbed the decisive break at 4-4, before holding to take the set.

The second set was a less tumultuous affair. The Scot broke in the opening game, before scraping through a 15 minute service game to extend his lead to 3-1. Cilic continued to fight, but Murray broke again and served for the match at 5-2.

Some brave net play from Cilic pegged the Scot back to 5-3, but Murray struck back and sealed the deal on his 8th match point.

Next up is Gasquet or Berdych in the semi-final.
[ Last edit by boogers March 28, 2013, 10:37 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:06 PM »

Is Tommy Haas the only player actually playing well this week? None of the other quarter-finalists have been in particularly good form. Gasquet quietly going about his business under the radar, will be interesting to see if he can damage Berdych later.
IP Logged
mags10

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:12 PM »

I predicted, see previous posts on other subjects, that Andy would beat Marin Cillic.  I further predict Andy will win the tournament,  Marin has a lovely touch, but Andy was confident and it worked, Andy is very hungry to win this. He has the belief of his fans behind him and more important He believes it this time.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:26 PM »

Hi mags10, welcome to MW!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 09:31 PM »

I predicted, see previous posts on other subjects, that Andy would beat Marin Cillic.  I further predict Andy will win the tournament,  Marin has a lovely touch, but Andy was confident and it worked, Andy is very hungry to win this. He has the belief of his fans behind him and more important He believes it this time.

Hi mags  wave welcome, hope your prediction of Andy winning comes true.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 09:51 PM »

Well done Andy, through to the semi-finals. Will play not before 7pm (11pm  UK time) tomorrow.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 10:09 PM »

Well done Andy but that sure was a nervy match from start to finish.  Can't say I enjoyed it.  A few flashes of brilliance and he had Cilic worked out but feels like Andy is still working his way back into form.   Hope he finds it for tomorrow as likely to be considerably tougher and he'll have to adapt to his first night match while his opponent will have the experience of having played at night tonight.  So while it might have been to Andy's advantage today to have played the QF in the afternoon, it might prove less advantageous tomorrow unless the other QF is a long slug fest, which tires out the victor.
Anyway a win is a win and here's hoping that you're right about the tournament mags10 - and welcome!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 10:16 PM »

I predicted, see previous posts on other subjects, that Andy would beat Marin Cillic.  I further predict Andy will win the tournament

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 10:48 PM »

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 12:52 AM »

Looks like boogers is very disappointed Cilic didn't get to win. Oh well. Better luck next time. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 02:01 AM »

Looks like boogers is very disappointed Cilic didn't get to win. Oh well. Better luck next time. 
Boogers did what he had to, same as Andy has done what he's had to to win his matches here, including this one.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 02:02 AM »

Boogers did what he had to, same as Andy has done what he's had to to win his matches here.

I'm doing this for your own good. Go to bed.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 02:06 AM »

I'm doing this for your own good. Go to bed.
I'd forgotten I hadn't read the match report, but now I will go to bed cos Andy's matches knacker me.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 03:21 AM »

yay ANDY - go go go! yay
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray beats Cilic « Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 03:48 AM »

Good job, Andy. Another smooth victory.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply