Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray blows Berdych off the court 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray blows Berdych off the court

(Read 3998 times)
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 11:36 PM »

Hazybear, you got so excited you can't count - it is ONLY two finals...!  I feel very confident Andy will win here.  The scheduling has worked in his favour also, never mind the fact that Nole is going to lose the first set, and who knows after that if he can come back or not.  Nothing is guaranteed, but he will have that extra days rest, and you only have to look back to 2008 to know what a difference that can make, as it definitely took the edge off Andy for the final.

This is his best chance to win, he needs to own the situation.  He is also going to rise to number 3 in the world, so moving on up in that respect also.  It wasn't the greatest performance today, but he hasn't always handled the wind well, so overall it was a great effort.

This is his summer, he needs to crown it off now.  Lendl has made a huge difference with his consistency this year in slams.  The french will always be a special case and probably beyond reach, but on all the others he has been right there, even in Australia, he could easily have won that fifth set against Nole.

Seize the day Monday, and the US Open is yours.  So hope Ferrer wins, because Andy will not lose to Ferrer in a slam final I can tell you that right now.  If Ferrer is to lose, lets have 5 gruelling sets please.

The weather forecast is excellent for sun/mon thankfully.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 11:43 PM »

don't think Andy blew him off the court.

It was windy.
IP Logged
lgriev10
Satellite Level

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 11:45 PM »

Great Match, Love the way he kept his cool as Berdych came back in the Tie-Break.  Now he gets the day off as AA evacuated due to Tornado Warning.  Novak and Ferrer back at 4.00 p.m. UK Time.  This is Andy's time to win a Slam. C'MON ANDY!! yay

So true, he really deserved this win, not least, for staying cool when Berdych came back at him in the 4th set, and he managed to respond to take it to the tie-break.  But also, as you say, to stay cool in the tie-break when 5-2 down, well that was pure street fighting man.   yay clap
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 12:09 AM »

Great report on a match played in horrendously tricky conditions.

Hmmm - well nobody believed me when I said we shouldn't start assuming anything just because Andy raced through the 2nd and 3rd sets, and look what happened!  Tennis is so unpredictable.  The momentum can change in just a point or two.  To be fair to Berdych (although why one should be after the disgraceful hat incident) he did well to pull himself back from the brink to turn the 4th set into a contest.  Fortunately Andy went one better by coming back in the tie-break and holding his nerve to win it.  I'm proud of our man.  Very proud indeed.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 12:16 AM »

It was windy.

Okay. lol. That makes sense.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 12:23 AM »

Okay. lol. That makes sense.

And copied here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2200400/US-Open-2012-Andy-Murray-beats-Tomas-Berdych-reach-final-New-York.html
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 12:25 AM »

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2012-09-08/201209081347138224017.html

Lots of credit given by Berdych for Andy's win....NOT!
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 12:26 AM »

"..so cat-and-mouse, it was like a boxed set of Tom and Jerry."

I love your match reports.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 12:30 AM »

I did once post one eight minutes after the end of the match.
Is that the record?

I shall bare that in mind.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 12:35 AM »

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2012-09-08/201209081347138224017.html

Lots of credit given by Berdych for Andy's win....NOT!

Berdych is quite sure that he had lost the match because of the conditions. Little does he realize how smart a player Andy is and that he just wasn't going to smack the ball as hard as possible even if the conditions were perfect. It was, in fact, mesmerizing to see how well Andy adjusted everything as the time went along - even the ball toss. If anything, there's a lot to learn for players from this match.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 12:37 AM »

Andy at times has performed miracles to get through to the final. He's just so resilient at this tournament and I just hope that he can finally fulfill his potential by lifting the USO trophy come Monday.

We've seen so many times how Roger, Rafa and Novak appears to always dig themselves out of any tricky situations to come through in slams, I get the feeling Andy is starting to do the same. I just can't help but draw comparisons when Fed won the French Open when Nadal was beaten and in a similar way that Berdych smashed Federer off the court in the QF, I hope in a similar way that Andy can seize his opportunity to take the title.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 12:41 AM »

Andy at times has performed miracles to get through to the final. He's just so resilient at this tournament and I just hope that he can finally fulfill his potential by lifting the USO trophy come Monday.

We've seen so many times how Roger, Rafa and Novak appears to always dig themselves out of any tricky situations to come through in slams, I get the feeling Andy is starting to do the same. I just can't help but draw comparisons when Fed won the French Open when Nadal was beaten and in a similar way that Berdych smashed Federer off the court in the QF, I hope in a similar way that Andy can seize his opportunity to take the title.
hug  I totally hope so too.  Great observations - thank you!
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 12:46 AM »

hug  I totally hope so too.  Great observations - thank you!

You're welcome Smile

I couldn't watch the match today and resorted to following the livescore via the USO app and on these boards, I was sooo nervous but believed that Andy would pull through.

Hoping that Sky/Eurosport will rerun the whole match tomorrow so I can spend a leisurely Sunday catching up on the match with popcorn and beer in hand Very Happy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 12:48 AM »

Hi All,

The one thing Andy could learn for the future after this one is to play dumb when the umpire is doing something that helps him. With the cap situation the umpire was going to give Andy the point until Berdych got out of his pram about it. What Andy did was incredibly sporting, checking if Berdych was sure he had been hindered, but what he should have done is acted thick and said it was the umpire's decision, which it ultimately was.

I just think Berdych was really graceless about it. To my mind it doesn't even matter if it was a let or not, he didn't have to get in the umpire's face, or Andy's for that matter. Andy was being sporting and diplomatic, and ultimately it cost him, although not for long lol. I was just glad Andy was so controlled when Berdych was being mouthy at the net. I couldn't help feeling the umpire was a bit weak there. He should have told Berdych to shut his mouth and get back in his pram, or words to that effect.

The irony is that Berdych behaved in a similar manner in Dubai in February and he lost that encounter too lol.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray blows Berdych off the court « Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 12:49 AM »

Another wrong assessment by those (not here) who are now saying that Federer would have won under these conditions. Please. His 1st serve would have been just as much under trouble and Andy would have taken full advantage of his 2nd serve. People, people, people some perspective please. Also, don't forget how well Federer played under the roof at Wimbledon after the rain delay, where the conditions were controlled. Ask Mac and he will tell you that Andy is the best player out there who tends to adjust the conditions the best because of the vast variety he has to offer and a brain that he has in his head. Come on! lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »