Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray breezes past Dodig 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray breezes past Dodig

(Read 2823 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray breezes past Dodig « on: August 30, 2012, 07:24 AM »

Andy Murray is through to the third round of the US Open after a comfortable 6-2 6-1 6-3 victory over Ivan Dodig. The British number one improved considerably on his first round performance, producing an aggressive display of ballstriking to overwhelm his less illustrious opponent.

Murray has been working with Ivan Lendl for nine months now and the Scot's game continues to evolve into something quite special. A year ago Murray would have been perfectly content to sit back and wait for his lower ranked opponent to commit errors. Not so now. He played with a controlled aggression throughout and overwhelmed Dodig with pace and variety.

This game plan is undeniably more risky - as demonstrated in Cincinati a few weeks ago, where an off colour Murray fell apart against Chardy. In that instance the game plan was undone by Murray's own lack of form. This risk aside, playing aggressively in the opening rounds means that it becomes a habit - a handy thing when facing the likes of Federer or Djokovic.

Murray will play Pablo Andujar or Feliciano Lopez in the last 32, some time on Saturday.
[ Last edit by boogers August 30, 2012, 08:54 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:08 AM »

Just watching the match now. Andy's serve still not firing on all cylinders and Dodig won some good points but just couldn't keep the momentum going.

Good going for Andy so far. goodjob
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:34 AM »

Well Done  Andy, just going to watch now.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:36 AM »

Well played Laura, good girl.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:06 AM »

Will watch later today.  Good to read that Andy played so well.  But worrying that serve still not quite there - does anyone have the serve percentages?  Couldn't glean anything other than score line from radio reports as quite rightly they were focused on Laura's amazing victory, which I saw end of when I came in.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 09:14 AM »

Will watch later today.  Good to read that Andy played so well.  But worrying that serve still not quite there - does anyone have the serve percentages?  Couldn't glean anything other than score line from radio reports as quite rightly they were focused on Laura's amazing victory, which I saw end of when I came in.

1st set ended up 50% (only set I've watched so far). 

Yes, great win for Laura and a tad sad to see Kim go wave 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 09:25 AM »

1st set ended up 50% (only set I've watched so far).  

Yes, great win for Laura and a tad sad to see Kim go wave  
Thanks Bev. Well better than 1st set in 1st match but hope it improved as match went on.  Yes it was a bitter sweet triumph for Laura who said Kim had been a role model to her.  In the studio she called it a bummer,

Here are the match stats pasted from bbc website.  abit jumbled up I'm afraid but they show 57% 1st serve which not too bad but he really needs to get over 60%.  Good to see he went to the net 21 times and good number of winners and aces.  V positive comments on BBC site.   Ovarend made the point also about Lendly wanting him to play aggressively against lesser opponents so that it's habit by the time he meets the top guys.

Match stats
Murray   Dodig  
 Aces

133mph
 Fastest serve
 129mph

57%
 First serves
 56%

Winners

Unforced errors

6/9
 Break points
 0/3

16/21
 Net pts
 22/35

[ Last edit by Ruthie August 30, 2012, 09:37 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:43 AM »

67% 2nd set Ruthie.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 09:47 AM »

My comms are Luke Jensen and Al Trautwig. They were quite funny commenting on how Lendl was during the match - he's excited and thrilled with how the match is going lol
[ Last edit by Bevc August 30, 2012, 09:58 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 09:49 AM »

This night owl did watch the match and was impressed with Andy's solid, aggressive performance throughout.  His serve may have been erratic but he did manage to fire down the occasional ace and he also held his nerve when it came to playing the big points.  His composure too was impeccable.

Dodig however played his part in making the match an entertaining one for the night-time NY crowd and the score doesn't quite reflect the quality of his game, so credit where credit's due, but if Andy can maintain this level of play there's no reason why he shouldn't go far into this tournament.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 09:50 AM »

Come on yay
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 10:41 AM »

Good report, Boogers. I watched the first two sets before I succumbed to sleep, but it seemed a small risk to expect him to win with the confidence and skill Andy was exhibiting last night. There seem to have been some tough 5 setters so far with severaL players coming from 2 sets down to finally win the match. I will watch again when they repeat it, I love watching him play with this aggression, reminds me of Olympic Gold all over again.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 10:42 AM »

67% 2nd set Ruthie.

55% 3rd set.

88% of points won on 1st serve.  Andy had a lower average 1st and 2nd serve than Dodig.

Dodig however played his part in making the match an entertaining one for the night-time NY crowd and the score doesn't quite reflect the quality of his game, so credit where credit's due, but if Andy can maintain this level of play there's no reason why he shouldn't go far into this tournament.

My comms said that you could have put a montage together of his great shots and you'd wonder how he lost.

As Andy said at the net, you played a great game.  Hard luck Ivan. hug 
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 10:48 AM »

From what I remember, Andy's first serve percentage wasn't great in the gold medal match but he still wiped the floor with Fed.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 10:55 AM »

As I have said before it seems to me that the % won on serves is the most important not just the % in  I also remember reading somewhere in the past that Lendl did not have the best serve and made up for it with aggressive and well placed shots.  Andy does have a good serve most of the time and also has great shots.

I haven't seen the match but it feels like he is slowly building up and doing just what he has to in order to peak at the right time as at Wimby and the Olympics.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »