Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray breezes past Dodig 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray breezes past Dodig  (Read 2703 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 10:58 AM »

Thanks for the reports. I'm away in France at the moment with only the most frustrating little computer, so missing most of the action on court and in MW. I managed to find a bit of commentary but no picture for the end of Laura's match - what a win! Relieved to see this morning that Andy had a comfortable win. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 11:06 AM »

Thanks for the update Bev and others - all v encouraging.  And glad to hear Andy congratulated Dodig on his play at the net.  I think I'm going to keep my eye open for this guy in future and looking forward to watching what sounds like an entertaining match.

Oh and I take it no signs of the injury worries some MW members were expressing after his 1st match?
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 11:19 AM »

From what I remember, Andy's first serve percentage wasn't great in the gold medal match but he still wiped the floor with Fed.

No it wasn't but his 2nd serve was much better that day and that distracted us from the 1st serve. Very Happy  Today's serve was much improved on Monday's serve, which I think was 28% in the first set
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20 AM »

Thanks for the update Bev and others - all v encouraging.  And glad to hear Andy congratulated Dodig on his play at the net.  I think I'm going to keep my eye open for this guy in future and looking forward to watching what sounds like an entertaining match.

Oh and I take it no signs of the injury worries some MW members were expressing after his 1st match?

No injuries - he was taking on lots of fluids. Very Happy
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 11:24 AM »

Good to hear on both counts

Here's a section of the match report on the USO website:
Murray was nearly as ruthlessly efficient in his second-round match, impressively dispatching the 118th-ranked Croat Ivan Dodig, 6-2, 6-1, 6-3. Murray was smacked 10 aces and won 16 of 21 points at net.

The third seed demonstrated the new and improved all-court game – now as aggressive as it is wily – that led him to crush Roger Federer in the gold-medal match at Wimbledon. He showed no signs of the let-down he appeared to have after a walkover with a knee injury at Toronto and a disappointing third-round lost at Cincinatti.

Asked about his newfound popularity after his Olympic triumph, Murray said, “Yeah, it’s been a bit weird, with people hanging out in front of my hotel room, taking pictures. Some ask strange questions: What did I think of Prince Harry’s hotel photos? What do I think about the Crown Jewels?”

“I said, no comment. It’s a little different than what I’m used to, but it’s fun.”

Murray is the first man to advance to the third Round. And the Scot, in the past known for being occasionally irascible on court, is having fun.
[ Last edit by Ruthie August 30, 2012, 12:53 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 01:20 PM »

Hi All,

Andy is back on form, definitely. He looked fabulous last night, and played superbly. At 57% for the match his FSP was a vast improvement on Monday, and once again his returns were right on the money.

One thing was said in commentary that I think is pertinent to the way Andy's game has been shaping up through the summer. Petch and Shiras were talking a lot about Andy's serve, and then they talked about Lendl. They said that Lendl used to tell people not to tell him what his FSP was for the match, just what it was on big points. That rang a bell with me straight away. Look at the Olympic final, where Andy's FSP was 53% or something, yet every time there was a big point, break points and so on, he would deliver a great serve. He did similarly well when it mattered on Monday.

To my mind the most important thing about Monday was that Andy got through with minimal fuss, without dropping a set. Now he is beginning to lift his game again, and looks great. Sure, there will be tougher tests ahead, but he is definitely looking good. Did I detect the beginnings of some excitement in Petch's voice as well?

Must also say well done to Dodig for playing his part in a great match. It was fun to watch.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 01:35 PM »

Was well worth staying up for.

As for Dodig, he'll (probably) never have a better year than he did last year, rising as high as 32 in the world. His ranking belies his ability for sure. He's one of those guys who have had their breakthrough later on though (he was 26), and is now 27 (28 in January). I think he'll find himself back in the top 100 before long and maybe float above 50 but he's never going to achieve much more.

Him and Gulbis are great examples as to how far you can fall when your form fall away. Like Andreas Beck, Andrey Golubev and Simone Bolelli before them, they've had really impressive seasons, rising to the top 35, then after a bad spell they have fallen well beyond the top 100.

Anyway back to Andy. It the best he's played since the Olympics, without a doubt. His serve percentage is still a little too low though, but his return was excellent yet again and in the rallies was excellent, looking to dictate, not getting fazed by Dodig's defence, pummeling him into submission.

Next match will be a bit tougher though. Andy generally has Feli's number though.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 01:38 PM »

Watched the whole match this morning (just woke up an hour ago!) and it was a big improvement from Monday's performance. There was certainly a lot of heavy hitting throughout and dictated the match from the get go.

Agree with teejay1 that as long as Andy is clutch with serves on the important points, then you could get away with a slightly lower FSP.

Dodig definately played some decent tennis and has a massive serve but Andy returned well so it serves as a good practice should Andy get far enough to meet Raonic in R4.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 01:51 PM »

Good solid game by Andy.He looked so confident on the court.Dodig played good tennis but Andy was too good for him. Well done Andy.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 02:52 PM »

The match is on Eurosport at the moment until 4pm
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 03:59 PM »

yay yay Great match by Andy, he played some stunning shots, loved his net play!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 04:05 PM »

Great match.  Andy seemed so relaxed against a fairly talented Dodig.  His usual stunning shots etc. Just his serve which has improved since Monday although I do not think he served brilliantly against Smugfed in the Olympics. It was his arsenal of shots that came to the rescue partnered with aggression and belief.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 05:31 PM »

Watched edited version of match on Sky earlier but will watch whole thing tomorrow if have time.  Thought Andy looked great.  Castle kept saying how thrilling his tennis is at present.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 05:37 PM »

Despite Dodig's recent fall of form, he played really well last night but as Dodig's coach mentioned to Pam S. while shaking his head that, Andy was just on another dimension.

It was a night match and I guess Andy liked playing Dodig, so it all worked out for him. It was a terrific match to watch; that is, if you watched it live. The next match is going to be a day match I have a feeling (and the next probably again a night match if Andy makes it to 3rd round) and it’s most probably Lopez judging by the current score. Andy likes playing Lopez as well but which Andy will show up is still a matter of pure guessing. We probably shouldn’t expect that he’s going to be super aggressive in each match from this point on, but if he is then it’s all good but perhaps best to expect more of a mixed performance.

BTW, I didn’t think Andy was super aggressive last night but just enough to win comfortably. Personally I don’t like being mindless aggressive, which I thought Dodig was at first.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray breezes past Dodig « Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 05:43 PM »

I'll say it again for this thread, in so many words -- Smashing result Andy!  cmon yeah

& Great going, Laura!  yay

Great day!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply