Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai

(Read 2817 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « on: March 02, 2012, 02:39 PM »

Hitting to an extraordinary length in Dubai today, Andy Murray completely dismantled the game of the man who has dominated world tennis for the last 14 months. The Scot, who recovered from a wobble when serving for the match, outplayed Novak Djokovic 6-2 7-5 to reach the final of the Desert Classic.

Murray got off to a great start, converting for 4-2 with some mix-and-match slice and topspin that consistently caught the world number one off guard.

The Scot survived a mini crisis on serve, but then forced the issue at 0-40 on the Serb's delivery with some agile movement. Searing groundshots of astonishing, Lendl-esque length then sealed the first set.

In the early part of the match, it was Murray's first serve that did most of the damage, with a 71% success rate backed up with 94% of first-serve points won. That trend continued in the second set, with powerhouse deliveries constantly forcing Djokovic onto his back foot and allowing the Scot to dictate the rallies.

Read more (226 words)
Murray's defence was equally outstanding, though. After breaking serve immediately at the start of the second set, the world number four began to produce recoveries, such as the one at 15-40 in the second game, that simply defied the known laws of physics.

With the Serb's game looser than a bucket of fishing worms, the British number one's imperious groundshots powered him onwards to a 5-3 lead.

But, earlier this week, Murray had suggested that he rarely had issues serving out matches and, when he hooked three routine groundshots into the net to concede the game, he might have wished he'd kept quiet.

Djokovic took full advantage, but a solid service game from Murray at 5-5 steadied the ship and, when he dug deep in game 12 to wring the errors from the world number one's racket, it was all over and Djokovic's embrace at the net seemed warm and sincere.

This result may well owe much to his recent spell with new coach Ivan Lendl in Miami. However, just as a break of serve means nothing until it's consolidated, the win might need to be rubber-stamped in a probable meeting with Roger Federer in the final over the weekend.

Nevertheless, this remains an astonishing victory that will surely open up the eyes of the tennis establishment to new and intriguing possibilities at the top of the men's game.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy March 02, 2012, 04:41 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:43 PM »

I have to admit that when he failed to serve it out I thought that would be it.  Nole would be charged up and would turn it round.  But so much to Andy's credit that he didn't let it get to him and just kept on pushing Nole.
I also was afraid we might have a repeat of Wimbledon when he sent that easy ball long early in the 2nd set but again he just got on with it. I think this match suggests Andy really has turned a major corner. And the first serve stats were quite something. Onwards and upwards Andy.
I was screaming at the end - was afraid neighbours might call police who I saw were down the street for some reason.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 02:49 PM »

I am so gutted I missed this, but I can't say I am surprised he won.  I always felt was just easing himself through this week, mindful of what is to come.

Let's hope he can own Federer tomorrow, and then carry that confidence forward into the bigger events to come.  That should give him a huge boost.  From what I read he was nothing short of magical in the first set and most of the second.

A fantastic win, and hopefully many more to come over the top three this year!!!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:51 PM »

Amazing win. One of the best matches ,  sooooo happy.  yay
IP Logged
Big V

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:52 PM »

Well done Andy!
1st serve has improved so much and calm attitude shows great promise for the months to come.
I think working with Mr L is bringing out all the Andy magic, and given him much greater confidence. 
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:56 PM »

Happily, ecstatically completely wrong. Yay  toot Andy was in the zone today, so much so I kinda wished he was playing Fed.  Whistle
However, those bloody nerves must be conquered somehow and hopefully wins like this will help.
Baby done good Super
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 02:59 PM »

Sorry, had to write quickly - on school run. Probably full of typos.

Mark, can you put the word-break thing in? Ta. See ya later.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 03:01 PM »

One thought about tomorrow - will Andy be at a disadvantage as the only one not to have played an evening match when it will be cooler and presumably slower?  OK this match went into early evening but the match won't start till 7pm their time and both Fed and Delpo have played that slot.  So while I'm sure the organisers didn't expect Andy to be in the final it looks like their bias, giving him the hot spot everyday, might have consequences?

Just read your full report Nigel - excellent and entertaining as ever.  But unless Andy really messes up tomorrow I don't think even a loss then is as significant as beating Novak and Berdych back 2 back.  That said it's going to be another anxious, nerve-wracking afternoon I fear. cmon yeah
[ Last edit by Ruthie March 02, 2012, 03:04 PM ] IP Logged
Adrian
Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 03:03 PM »

I managed to watch the match on an obscure middle eastern website, through live stream. Aside of the buffering, good coverage. Andy played very well, deep,   powerful groundstrokes and more impressively, a first serve percentage of 71%. Great performance from Andy, however Djokovic did make a number of unforced errors, not normally evident in his game. If Andy continues in this manner, then Federer of Del-potro should not hold too much fear for Andy.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 03:08 PM »

yay yay yay  A great match and a fantastic win for Andy.  He just couldn't resist the Murraycoaster but in some ways it was even better that he could take that break of serve without any histrionics and go on to close out the match.  Onwards and upwards Andy!!!!   yay yay yay
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 03:17 PM »

Am sure the comms said that Andy's the 1st Brit to reach the final clap
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 03:19 PM »

I managed to watch the match on an obscure middle eastern website, through live stream. Aside of the buffering, good coverage. Andy played very well, deep,   powerful groundstrokes and more impressively, a first serve percentage of 71%. Great performance from Andy, however Djokovic did make a number of unforced errors, not normally evident in his game. If Andy continues in this manner, then Federer of Del-potro should not hold too much fear for Andy.

I think that's the one I was watching - understood Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and dropshot but very excitable commentator.  Wasn't unpleasant viewing at all Very Happy
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 03:26 PM »

One thought about tomorrow - will Andy be at a disadvantage as the only one not to have played an evening match when it will be cooler and presumably slower?  OK this match went into early evening but the match won't start till 7pm their time and both Fed and Delpo have played that slot.  So while I'm sure the organisers didn't expect Andy to be in the final it looks like their bias, giving him the hot spot everyday, might have consequences?

Just read your full report Nigel - excellent and entertaining as ever.  But unless Andy really messes up tomorrow I don't think even a loss then is as significant as beating Novak and Berdych back 2 back.  That said it's going to be another anxious, nerve-wracking afternoon I fear. cmon yeah

How?
The slower the conditions the more they favour Andy against fed at least.
Im feeling bullish about a Murray Federer match up.
I think we shall see that there really is going to be a Top 3 soon.
Unless he implodes of course but at this level i doubt it.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 03:28 PM »

Oh, that's what Andy was saying in the interview with Annabel, that the fast court suited him and if you got a particularly good serve in, then you'd get the cheap points. Very Happy
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 03:29 PM »

Another thing Murray won most of the long rallies, and that is good for his confidence.
I also enjoy the Murray-Novak contests much more than the Novak nadal matches. They are all so f**king artless, particularly as nadal is so one dimensional. He needs a versatile player to make him look good.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »