Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai

(Read 2671 times)
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 06:04 PM »

I also used the expression "choked", but you are correct PT. He's nervous guy at times but dont you think he will master his nerves one day soon?

Lashurst, he will master these nerves, was he nervous at this crucial moment of the match? I personally don't think he was and so look for another explanation for this dip in form. I believe for a brief moment in this instance he may have got slightly ahead of him self, a set and 5-3 up and serving for the match he probably thought he'd got the match sewn up. So rather than staying in the moment, he allowed his mind to wander to the final.

Joe, don't you think crumbled is too strong a word to describe our andy's slight mental walk about which is in my opinion what it was?
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #46 on: March 02, 2012, 06:07 PM »

Lashurst, he will master these nerves, was he nervous at this crucial moment of the match. I personally don't think he was and so look for another explanation for this dip in form. I believe for a brief moment in this instance he may have got slightly ahead of him self, a set and 5-3 up and serving
for the match he probably thought he'd got the match sewn up. So rather than staying in the moment, he allowed his mind to wander to the final.

Joe, don't you think crumbled is too strong a word to describe our andy's slight mental walk about which is in my opinion what it was?

Not really - he wasn't putting a foot wrong, then he threw in a double fault and some tame errors. Why's it so wrong to question his mental state in that moment? I'm delighted he won, just wish he'd toughen up a bit because it could well have cost him.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Not really - he wasn't putting a foot wrong, then he threw in a double fault and some tame errors. Why's it so wrong to question his mental state in that moment? I'm delighted he won, just wish he'd toughen up a bit because it could well have cost him.

It's fairly normal to choke a little. Even Nadal and Federer aren't immune to it. Federer makes a habit of it in five-setters, when his groundshots go walkabout. It's just because we're Muzza fans that we notice it when it happens to Andy. There are far bigger chokers out there.

The trouble for Andy is that he doesn't have a particular strength to fall back on when it happens. For example, Federer has that mechanised serve that virtually guarantees he'll win his service games, even when he can't find the right postcode with his shanky groundies.
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #48 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20 PM »

Rather than glass half empty i see it as glass half full. It takes greater courage and mental strength to change a particular course of action that affects the body at its psychological and physiological levels, than it does to succumb to these inner pressures.When you say Andy needs to toughen up, doing what he did in that passage of play, lost his focus, allowed his opponent back in then promptly broke his opponent and then attempt to serve out the match again, only this time successfully, took an enormous amount of mental strength. Andy is mentally tough already. Andy recognized the danger he was in and took the correct course (keeping his nerves at bay, and refocusing his mind - staying in the here and now). While i understand why you say what you say Joe, i just don't agree with it. Sometimes things on the surface don't always reflect whats really going on inside.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #49 on: March 02, 2012, 06:21 PM »

I think Andy may well have got nervous when serving for the match.  After all to beat Nole is quite something given the latter's record now and after that great AO match.  But I agree with PT insofar as at that moment Andy was no longer in the moment but was thinking about the result - and that is fatal.  I'm sure he will have learned from that. And as I said in an earlier post, while I accept we shouldn't ignore that rather bad wobble, I think we should be focusing more on the way he turned it round because as PT, I think, said the Andy of old could well have lost it at that point.
What a pity that delpo and smugfed didn't slug it out to a 3rd tie break - now there is someone who threw it away in that tiebreak.

Oh and just read your latest PT, which must have gone up while I was typing this.  Absolutely agree that this is a glass half full moment - actually more than half full I'd say! yay
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 06:26 PM »

Just seen Delpotro do a massive choke in second set tie break. Other players do do it and of course we do notice Andy more.....but am with joe on this one, mentally Andy's still got work to do....but today his game was blooming brilliant  clap
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 06:26 PM »

Oh and just read your latest PT, which must have gone up while I was typing this.  Absolutely agree that this is a glass half full moment - actually more than half full I'd say! yay
your right Ruthie its a glass full full moment, over flowing actually!! yay
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 06:29 PM »

Just seen Delpotro do a massive choke in second set tie break. Other players do do it and of course we do notice Andy more.....but am with joe on this one, mentally Andy's still got work to do....but today his game was blooming brilliant  clap

all the more reason why we here on MW should cut him some slack from time to time, i for one could definitely not do what our Andy does, i'd be chucking up all over the place under all that external pressure and my legs would more than likely just feel like two lead weights rooted to the court.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #53 on: March 02, 2012, 06:37 PM »

Well said Alis.  I agree and Aileen yes let's accentuate the positive rather than dwell on the negative.  Who knows this experience might make it easier for Andy to serve out a rather more important match in the future. yay yay

I agree, thinking that beating Novak for the first time must have been nerve racking, it wont be so next time hopefully during a slam.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 06:41 PM »

A "choke" is when you give away a winning position due to nerves.
So in my view he did choke, it could have cost him dearly and did in Rome.
And that is why, i believe, he did it again. What was different is that he came through and that shall stand him in good stead should a similar circumstance arise.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 06:46 PM »

^^^But when all is said and done he really delivered today.
That serve is out of this world!
And to think I ever doubted it.
Well actually there was good reason to but the consitency is really starting to be, well, consistent.
He was also much more aggressive than yesterday less nervous and so I personally give him a 9 out of 10.
Great Stuff.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #56 on: March 02, 2012, 06:57 PM »

I agree, thinking that beating Novak for the first time must have been nerve racking, it wont be so next time hopefully during a slam.

Tessie, it's not the first time but it's the first time since Novak became #1 and first time for a while.  I remember my excitement the first time he beat him in I think final of Cincinatti; I felt something similar today. So yes in some ways it feels like the first time.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 06:59 PM »

Early year report for Andrew Murray:
Second serve improving steadily,
On court behaviour much improved,
Forehand much improved,
Consistency of first serve much improved
Keeping boot on throat....still needs work
All in all a very satisfactory start to the year, Andrew well done. Wink
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 07:04 PM »

Andrew Murray has asked me to pass his thanks on to bbh who he knows is a hard taskmistress.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 07:05 PM »

Andrew who?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »