Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai

(Read 2771 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #75 on: March 02, 2012, 11:03 PM »

Yeah, great game, great result. Andy's also coming over much better in the press interviews - much more controlled and assertive. He's beginning to look and sound  like a real champion, but there's a ways to go yet.
Your avatar should be the Olympic symbol.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #76 on: March 02, 2012, 11:20 PM »

Haven't read all the posts yet on this thread but I did watch the Fed/delPotro match and it was delPotros match so many times - second set tie break 5-0 in Potros favour and Fed still won it. I don't think Andy would have let that happen and del Potro played well too, just couldn't play it out. If Andy plays at his best form he will have an excellent chance.
Didn't it go to 4-1 before Delpo began to crack?  Anyway I was very impressed with Delpo's game.  At this rate he is definitely heading towards the top 5.  I didn't see the 1st set TB, but, as the 2nd set one showed, he still needs to grab hold of his belief that he can do it and hang onto it.  I did feel sorry for him because you could see that inwardly he was kicking himself for letting that lead slide.  Had the match gone to a 3rd I'm almost sure Delpo would have won because Federer of late has been fading in deciders.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #77 on: March 02, 2012, 11:23 PM »

Delpo,s a big lump of lard.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #78 on: March 02, 2012, 11:26 PM »

Sorry Robbie, the Olympics don't float my boat. Although this year the tennis will provide interest.  You'll have to dig deeper for the five rings analogy!!
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #79 on: March 02, 2012, 11:29 PM »

You,be been married 5 times......eh, lord of the rings?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #80 on: March 02, 2012, 11:41 PM »

Delpo,s a big lump of lard.
Prime Argentian beef, imo. Smile

Sorry Robbie, the Olympics don't float my boat. Although this year the tennis will provide interest.  You'll have to dig deeper for the five rings analogy!!
The Book of Five Rings, perhaps?  That would kind of make sense.
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #81 on: March 03, 2012, 12:20 AM »

so happy he won . I can see a difference in him . Self assurance I think .
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #82 on: March 03, 2012, 12:33 AM »

Many congratulations Andy on the great win.  Brilliant serving and excellent tennis, the result of 11 days non stop tennis training at Miami.

Today's result is wonderful for many reasons but the main one must be that Andy now knows that Lendl's training is on the right track to help him achieve that first GS.  This will help keep Andy focused during the upcoming sessions to iron out the kinks (e.g. more speed on the 2nd serve), and also to master clay where Lendl won his first GS.  Andy mentioned that he definitely needs to improve a lot on clay.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #83 on: March 03, 2012, 01:08 AM »

I don't think it's inconceivable that Andy can win his maiden slam at Roland Garros - especially if he keeps improving at a steady rate under Ivan. Beating Djokovic will give him more confidence and if Andy were to draw Rafa in the French, I would fancy his chances this time round.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #84 on: March 03, 2012, 03:57 AM »

Extract from The Telegraph's match report, which shows just how much Andy's mental attitude has changed -

“The last couple of times we played each other, in Australia and in Rome, I might have lost the match but I fought for every single point and made it really, really tough for him,” Murray said. “I think that’s why he started going for more in the second set tonight, and making mistakes because of that.

“I’m sure Novak knows that if he wants to beat me, he is going to have to fight 110 per cent and play long, long points. That’s why you need to go in against the top guys every time with that attitude.”

Coach Ivan Lendl might be on the other side of the world right now, following his charge’s progress on TV, but that could have been him speaking.

And on Lendl himself

Since the two men teamed up at the start of the year, Lendl has stressed that there are no magic bullets that will transform a nearly man into a grand slam winner. Rather, it is an accumulation of small things: no free points, no easy games, no weak matches, whether you are playing an outside court in Zagreb or the Wimbledon final.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #85 on: March 03, 2012, 07:19 AM »

Rather than glass half empty i see it as glass half full. It takes greater courage and mental strength to change a particular course of action that affects the body at its psychological and physiological levels, than it does to succumb to these inner pressures.When you say Andy needs to toughen up, doing what he did in that passage of play, lost his focus, allowed his opponent back in then promptly broke his opponent and then attempt to serve out the match again, only this time successfully, took an enormous amount of mental strength. Andy is mentally tough already. Andy recognized the danger he was in and took the correct course (keeping his nerves at bay, and refocusing his mind - staying in the here and now). While i understand why you say what you say Joe, i just don't agree with it. Sometimes things on the surface don't always reflect whats really going on inside.
That really is the bottom line PT that would-be-analysts like myself should remember.
It's just that, as fans we find it hard to see him nearly lose or actually lose a match because of this phenomenon when he clearly should win and often with a good margin. Other players suffer from this too, look at Del Potro yesterday, what a shame that was.

Andy is a particularly sensitive young man (IMO) who is still developing in all respects. We'll see him tackle these situations better as his self belief improves.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #86 on: March 03, 2012, 08:16 AM »

The first time I typed this I did put beating Novak as no 1 but went back to correct a spelling error and messed it up. You are right Ruthie especially as the win in Cincinnati was due to Novak retiring. Very glad Andy got the win and hope he destroys Federer tommorrow.
Tessie just to clarify: I meant the first time he beat Nole at Cinci some years ago - I realise that was unclear given the more recent Cinci victory when Nole retired but I think that still counts as a win even if not so satisfying.  The two have leap frogged over each other and I'm just hoping that it's now Andy's turn to leap to the top where he deserves to be on the basis of his talent .
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #87 on: March 03, 2012, 09:50 AM »

Tessie just to clarify: I meant the first time he beat Nole at Cinci some years ago - I realise that was unclear given the more recent Cinci victory when Nole retired but I think that still counts as a win even if not so satisfying.  The two have leap frogged over each other and I'm just hoping that it's now Andy's turn to leap to the top where he deserves to be on the basis of his talent .

I'm convinced, as I was at the time, that Novak only retired in Cincinnati last year because he didn't want to be beaten by Andy before the US Open.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #88 on: March 03, 2012, 10:12 AM »

Prime Argentian beef, imo. Smile
The Book of Five Rings, perhaps?  That would kind of make sense.

You,be been married 5 times......eh, lord of the rings?
Actually you're both right - apart from the married bit!  I'm happy to stick with the original model. Now let's move on...
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray bursts Djokovic's bubble in Dubai « Reply #89 on: March 03, 2012, 10:39 AM »

all the more reason why we here on MW should cut him some slack from time to time, i for one could definitely not do what our Andy does, i'd be chucking up all over the place under all that external pressure and my legs would more than likely just feel like two lead weights rooted to the court.
  clap clap
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »