Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes

(Read 1974 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 11:25 PM »

Thanks Nigel for the report, and thanks Andy for the win - all the sweeter for the dodgy first set. I thought the booing was hilarious, as was Gasquet (and AK) getting bothered that Andy sometimes rubbed his back! At least the crowd (what there was of it) cared, and Andy clearly enjoyed it.
“It was almost like playing a football match. And I like football. Today was the most fun I’ve had on the court in a while, so I wasn’t shying away from the fact that the crowd wanted me to lose.”
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 11:28 PM »

Thanks Nigel.  I knew this match would be a great one to watch.  Unfortunately I was not able to.  Well done, Andy   yay
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 11:29 PM »

To be honest, I think that report is unduly harsh on Gasquet. He played pretty well - Murray was simple too strong in the third and fourth sets. Hard to do much when your opponent is crashing winners from all parts of the court, as Murray fans know all too well...
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 11:34 PM »

To be honest, I think that report is unduly harsh on Gasquet. He played pretty well - Murray was simple too strong in the third and fourth sets. Hard to do much when your opponent is crashing winners from all parts of the court, as Murray fans know all too well...
Unduly harsh? Pot, kettle etc
It's just not going to happen today. Story of every slam he's played in. Boogers at 5.43
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 11:42 PM »

blueberryhill - that french crowd is nasty!!

Great win by Andy today, so focused and aggressive especially in the last two sets. Nice variety too - some great drop shots and lobs, offence and defence, it was all on display.

Tough one coming versus Daveed, but maybe Andy can get his first clay win since it's over 5 sets this time? Hope so!
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 12:09 AM »

I saw this on twitter.

As Murray left the court the FFT official said, "Sorry about the booing from the crowd, it's wrong and I hate it".  Murray responded, "no problem".
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 12:27 AM »

For me, the biggest unanswered question from today is why the stadium was half-full (half-empty?) for a top 20 French player playing in the last 16 of the French Open. I know they tend to saunter in slowly around lunchtime, but this was the height of the evening schedule.

You used to have to be a registered tennis player to watch at Roland Garros. There was never an empty seat in the house.

They might have 11 players in the top 100, but something's sadly amiss with French tennis.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 12:29 AM »

Murray dug in at the start of the 2nd set, Gasquet wilted and from there Andy had free rein to show off his skills. He knew he'd broken Reechard's weak heart.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 04:10 AM »

"He obviously started the match well but I started to use the energy from the crowd in a positive way and obviously turned it around and played very well the last few sets," added Murray.

"It's the most fun I've had on the court in a while, so I wasn't shying away from the fact that the crowd wanted me to lose.

"I've played Davis Cup a few times away from home but that was probably one of the most hostile atmospheres that I've played in."

cmon yeah
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 06:28 AM »

Forged in the fire of Davis Cup, our man turns to steel. Smile
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 07:56 AM »

roflmao Excellent report Nigel.........You had be falling down laughing.........or was that the wine! confused  nah Just kidding!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 08:16 AM »

If you love the most poetic  journalist around read this:
http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/06/pictures-from-a-cold-island.html
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 09:09 AM »

lmao   A great read BBH......Brilliant! Thanks.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 09:37 AM »

Enjoyed that bbh.  I hadn't realised that at the end the crowd were booing Gasquet and cheering Andy; difficult to tell when you're not there.  Apparently Andy attributed the poor first set to nerves rather than racquet tension.  According to I think Frew Macmillan who I heard commentating when I watched again on eurotrash match of the day, Henri Laconte [who I've never liked] did a Virginia Creeper in L'Equipe so perhaps many of the crowd were convinced Andy was faking, when he clutched his back, which he said had been stiff which is not surprising in those weather conditions.   I too was surprised that there were so many empty seats.  Perhaps the Parisians didn't want to watch their guy baguetted  by Andy yet again.
Thinking about Gasquet - he's clearly an incredibly talented player and apparently at the outset was the most talented of that cohort ie Andy, Nole, Rafa.  I wonder whether his failure to stay up in the top 10 is not just due to his mental frailty but because he's not done the hard graft physical work that the others have done - or at least it looks like it to me.  And the mental/physical strength seem to be linked to some extent anyway.  
Oh and one last thought about Andy.  Yesterday's conditions were the kind he has tended to come unstuck in in the past - cold and damp. And yet he played some scintillating tennis.  I think that shows a real step forwards.  Very exciting.  And perhaps the Lendl effect really is showing now esp in those fh winners.
[ Last edit by Ruthie June 05, 2012, 09:53 AM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Murray capitalises as Gasquet flakes « Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 09:56 AM »

And the mental/physical strength seem to be linked to some extent anyway. 

Yes, mental strength is linked to physical, and Gasquet spends the off-season in nightclubs while Murray and co are running on the beach. He's basically the archetypal playboy who wastes his talent. He was famously on the cover of Tennis magazine when he was nine and I think it's left him with a sort of everything-will-come-easy, showbiz feel about it all.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »