Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray confirms he will play in Mons 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray confirms he will play in Mons

(Read 1006 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray confirms he will play in Mons « on: October 04, 2005, 12:13 AM »

UPDATE: Andy Murray will take on Ivo Heuberger of Switzerland fourth on Center Court today, play starts at 10:00AM BST. - http://users.telenet.be/PatatRiek/male/challengerbergen/live.htm" target="_blank">Live Scores!

It's confirmed, Andy Murray will play in this week's Ethias Trophy in the Belgian city of Mons, a Challenger Tour event that he earlier said he would probably skip after his success at Bangkok.  

BBC reports:
Britain's Andy Murray has confirmed he will play in this week's Ethias Trophy in the Belgian city of Mons.

The world number 72 had said he was likely to skip the Challenger Tour event after reaching the Thailand Open final at the weekend.

But the 18-year-old has gone back on that decision and is due to open his campaign on Wednesday against Swiss player Ivo Heuberger, ranked 192nd.

Murray is the seventh seed but is the fourth highest ranked player in Mons.

Only the Belgian trio of Olivier and Christophe Rochus and Xavier Malisse, who Murray could face in the last eight, are rated above him by the ATP.

Murray will arrive in Mons, Belgium, on Tuesday, prior to his match the following day.

Related:
- Ethias Trophy: Main Draw
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Good morning « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 08:41 AM »

I'm a little worried about Andy playing too much. I know he's young, but you can over do it. I hope he takes at least a weeks rest soon.

I don't think there's anyone in the draw to frighten him, except that in the second round he could come up against Antony Dupuis, who has beaten him before. He'll be hoping that Gregory Carraz will beat Dupuis. He'll be full of confidence, but tired from jet lag. It's always worse travelling east to west I find.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Murray confirms he will play in Mons « Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 09:49 AM »

I was really surprised to hear he was going to play in this tournament.  I hope it's the right thing to do - he must be feeling exhausted, surely - I am quite concerned that it's going to be too much Frown
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray confirms he will play in Mons « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 09:54 AM »

Andy isn't easily pushed around and I don't think he would agree to do a tournament if he didn't feel physically up for it. I think Petchey probably persuaded him to go ahead and do this to keep the momentum going and ofcourse for those extra ranking points.
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Murray confirms he will play in Mons « Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 04:41 PM »

I read somewhere that he will only improve in the rankings if he gets to the semis, which isn't that easy
IP Logged
alansk
Satellite Level

Murray confirms he will play in Mons « Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 05:23 PM »

Even if he won the thing he'd only rise 5-or-so places.
IP Logged
Eric

Murray confirms he will play in Mons « Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 09:32 PM »

well he smply won't rise that quickly anymore, folks.
to compare: if he would gain the same amount of points this week as he did last week in thailand (I know it's not possible, but work with me here :P) he would rise about 11 places, whereas last week he was +37.
Winning this challenger would give him 90 entry points, and he'd rise about 8 places. Winning one round could give him +1 or +2 already, though.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »