Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray cruises into the quarters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray cruises into the quarters

(Read 2792 times)
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 12:07 PM »

Hewitt has just held serve. While on the subject of Aussie players interesting to learn that Tomic is 21 and not 19yrs old changes the whole complection re this young man.

Is this confirmed?
Not sticking up for the lad as I don't like what I've seen so far, but I read a quote earlier which stated that 'he was always much taller than everyone else his age'. I was too, all the way from playschool until the present day - I'm pretty sure that I'm the age that my birth certificate suggests! wink
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 12:34 PM »

I am not a fan of Tomic, but if the ATP website says he is 19, you can bet he is.  I am sure checks are done on eligibility etc.  He has had some negative press, but he is something new on the tour, which is never a bad thing.

He could really push on.  People talk up Raonic, dolgopolov etc, but with them I can't see it really when it comes to potentially competing right at the top.

Del Potro is the one on the rise again. He could well push Fed down to #5 this year. 
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 01:20 PM »

Hewitt wins third set against Nole. Nole leads 2 1
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 01:23 PM »

Hewit wins third set against Nole.

Amazing stuff really, what an effort by Hewitt.  Andy and David must be watching this and thinking that Nole isn't as imperious after all.  This is what we wanted to see, a whiff of weakness to drive everyone on this side of the draw on.

Hope Hewitt can somehow keep it going, not likely though!
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 01:55 PM »

Can't see Hewitt doing anything else but at least it shows that Nole is susceptible and Ferrer is playing awesome tennis just now and might just push him that bit further.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 02:03 PM »

Amazing stuff really, what an effort by Hewitt.  Andy and David must be watching this and thinking that Nole isn't as imperious after all.  This is what we wanted to see, a whiff of weakness to drive everyone on this side of the draw on.

Hope Hewitt can somehow keep it going, not likely though!
Exactly, good play from Hewitt, but he wont win i dont think . But Fererer could just but Djoko out who knows!!!
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 02:06 PM »

I really think that a match up between Andy and Djoko will not be the same roll-over that it was in the final last year.  But as Andy always says "One match at a time" he has to get past Nikishori first!!!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 02:33 PM »

Hope Mr Lendl was there taking lots of notes Wink Novak's serve was off, broken loads of times.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 02:57 PM »

I really think that a match up between Andy and Djoko will not be the same roll-over that it was in the final last year.  But as Andy always says "One match at a time" he has to get past Nikishori first!!!
For sure m.m. you can never count your chickens, fingers crossed Andy will come through that match, but for me as it gets nearer the final, the expectation on Djoko,will begin to tell, i think, and if pushed he could just start making a few mistakes!! the match with David will be interesting.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 03:27 PM »

For sure m.m. you can never count your chickens, fingers crossed Andy will come through that match, but for me as it gets nearer the final, the expectation on Djoko,will begin to tell, i think, and if pushed he could just start making a few mistakes!! the match with David will be interesting.

The worry I have is that Andy gets rid of Novak only to have him choke in the final yet again with Nadal or whoever taking it. I will have a lot of problems living with that.
If he does get through Nishikori & then Novak all of this no British player for a 100 years rubbish better be put to the side. He's a big boy now, there should be no excuses.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme January 23, 2012, 03:31 PM ] IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 03:29 PM »

The worry I have is that Andy gets rid of Novak only to have him choke in the final yet again with Nadal or whoever taking it. I will have a lot of problems living with that.
If does get through Nishikori & then Novak all of this no British player for a 100 years rubbish better be put to the side. He's a big boy now, there should be no excuses.

Should he get to the final, I'd like to think that Lendl's pearls of wisdom on how to win your first Slam at the 4th attempt would help to settle his mind.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 03:40 PM »

It better.
Lendl is like the Tennis dad he never had. For too long he surrounded himself with subordinates. Andy seems more centered now but it has also come from within, it had to. His behaviour has been exemplary so far. Perhaps Lendl was the external influence he needed to finally push on like a grown up.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 03:52 PM »

If he does get through Nishikori & then Novak all of this no British player for a 100 years rubbish better be put to the side. He's a big boy now, there should be no excuses.
I don't think I have ever heard Andy making an excuse. He is always very honest about his game.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 03:57 PM »

I liked the fact he joked about the "100 years" thing in his interview on court afterwards, without even being asked about it.  I think when it comes to a final that is when Lendl can make a huge difference.  That is what he has been hired for really.  Murray doesn't need him to get to a slam final, he has done that himself, it is the extra bit he needs direction for.

I think if say a Berdych got to the final, Andy would simply blitz him and take the title easily.  Only Nadal on that side of the draw could deny Andy really, so I will be very happy if he loses later.  He likes playing Del Potro, and Fed is not at the level where he denied Andy twice in the past.

I am only worried about Nole.  For me that is the final.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 04:23 PM »

I don't think I have ever heard Andy making an excuse. He is always very honest about his game.

No he's too classy to not give all the credit to his opponent. Unlike some.
But that's not what I meant.
To me being too nervous to play your best is an excuse. He really needs to embrace his destiny now.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »