Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray cruises into the quarters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray cruises into the quarters

(Read 2682 times)
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #60 on: January 23, 2012, 10:02 PM »

An interview with Mr Lendl on 5 Live, after todays match:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/16681540.stm
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #61 on: January 23, 2012, 10:03 PM »

Hi did anyone see the interview with Andy when Annabel croft did mastermind with him on boxing, it was very good,It was on this afternoon on Eurosport,. but don't know we're to find it to post on here, but I know one of you cleaver people can,!!!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #62 on: January 23, 2012, 10:05 PM »

An interview with Mr Lendl on 5 Live, after todays match:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/16681540.stm
That was great Lashurst, I think it's going to be such a great relationship for Andy, he seems to really care already about Andy and his next steps needed in his tennis.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #63 on: January 23, 2012, 10:23 PM »

Hi did anyone see the interview with Andy when Annabel croft did mastermind with him on boxing, it was very good,It was on this afternoon on Eurosport,. but don't know we're to find it to post on here, but I know one of you cleaver people can,!!!

Here it is! Enjoy.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/23012012/58/murray-ve-changed-game.html

Correction: Its todays interview, but doesnt show anything about boxing. Sorry.
[ Last edit by lashurst January 23, 2012, 10:28 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 01:02 AM »

I am quietly hopeful for Andy.  The stars have really aligned for Andy this year.

Vasselin had no weapon to hurt Andy
Llodra was knackered and slightly injured after having played 9 sets (5 singles, 4 doubles) before meeting Andy
Kuku was injured from playing two 5 sets matches so gave up after 49 minutes so Andy energy level will be at its maximum comes the QF
Nishikori played 5 sets in brutal heat today and has his ankle strapped and playing doubles tomorrow so he won't be able to compete properly comes the QF
Hewitt took a set off Djokovic and kept him on court past midnight meaning Djokovic won't sleep until past 2 a.m. (food, ice bath, massage, ...) reducing Djokovic recovery time

Hopefully Ferrer will do Andy a favour and tire Djokovic out for Andy to finish him off in the SF lol
I love your optimism, Philip. Smile  Unfortunately the stars have aligned in Andy's favour before at the AO and he's still come unstuck in the final, but I'd be a very happy person if I was proved wrong.  However, I see you don't make any prediction as to just who Andy might meet in the final.  Federer could be bad news, for obvious reasons - but if Del Potro could beat him, it would be wonderful if he made the final.

Well I did already say I didn't mean he made excuses after the losses, although I clearly remember him saying after the first AO final that he had lost to the 'greatest player of all time' suggesting there was nothing he could have done about it when there obviously was. Im saying that letting your nerves get to you is an excuse. He really is letting something that should be dealt with take over & that's not good enough. A professional tennis player of his stature & experience shouldn't give in to fear he should fight.
That extra % in his performance that he will need to be a true contender shall come after he wins his first slam. That's why he needs a little bit of luck to get that first one in. And from what I've seen he is starting to have that little bit of luck right now. Andy can beat Novak he just has to let himself believe it.
What you've said is going back to that old argument which has already been done to death on this forum, i.e. should Andy see a sports psychologist?  The general consensus was that he should in order to help him overcome his nervousness and also to help him discover the self-belief necessary to win a Slam.  Andy has beaten all three top players, so what goes wrong when he gets to GS finals?  Hopefully, as Andy refuses to seek help from a psychologist, Lendl can somehow manage to get inside his head and provide that vital missing piece of the jigsaw.  However, I see this as being a long-term process (but not too long), rather than a short-term one.  I know from my own experience just how hard resolving psychological problems can be.  You have to keep working at them all the time - they don't just simply vanish overnight never to return.  

IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 01:33 AM »

Actually I think Lendl WAS hired as a "psychologist" for all intents & purposes.
What can you tell one of the most skillful tennis players in the history of the sport about technique at this stage? Not enough to justify the appointment.
Although clearly some tweaking needs done with the 2nd serve & maybe the forehand. Any good coach shall assist with the mental side of a player or he cannot be described as one. TM! Hypnosis all of these mental options can also help, it's important when you perform to be relaxed & so should be considered as well but what Lendl can do that a certified shrink could never do is relate to what he's going through. And that's priceless. It might even give him the edge in this tournament as he has been getting there for a while before Lendl, although he hasn't really been tested yet. Let's hope for it.
But as you say it may take some time.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme January 24, 2012, 01:37 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 02:08 AM »

Actually I think Lendl WAS hired as a "psychologist" for all intents & purposes.
What can you tell one of the most skillful tennis players in the history of the sport about technique at this stage? Not enough to justify the appointment.
Although clearly some tweaking needs done with the 2nd serve & maybe the forehand. Any good coach shall assist with the mental side of a player or he cannot be described as one. TM! Hypnosis all of these mental options can also help, it's important when you perform to be relaxed & so should be considered as well but what Lendl can do that a certified shrink could never do is relate to what he's going through. And that's priceless. It might even give him the edge in this tournament as he has been getting there for a while before Lendl, although he hasn't really been tested yet. Let's hope for it.
But as you say it may take some time.
I'm sure that that is the case, which is what I was trying to say in my post.  Unfortunately until Lendl came on board Andy really had no coach of any substance, apart from Brad Gilbert - and you know what happened there.  I also agree that Lendl's own experience will be invaluable, although why Andy didn't accept his offer way back last spring is a bit of a mystery.  Maybe he genuinely thought he could go it on his own?  However, I still maintain that this tournament is possibly a bit too soon for Lendl's influence to take full effect, although as I said in my post to Philip I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

By the way, I'm a great advocate of TM, having practised the technique for years.  Many sports personalities use it and find it beneficial not only from the point of view of making them feel more relaxed, but also because it makes them sharper since the mind is freer from stressful and negative thoughts, and it would certainly help Andy.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 02:19 AM »

I don't know - I just have a feeling about this one.  When the tournie started, I would have been glad for Andy to make semis and play a good match even if he lost.  Now, with the draw opening up as it has, I'm really beginning to wonder if this is Andy's time.  He deserves a bit of luck - who knows Daveed might even take Novak out and, if he doesn't, he will certainly give him the run around.  On the other side of the draw both quarter finals are likely to be long, drawn out affairs - so is the semi whoever is in it.  If Andy does make the final, hopefully his opponent will be more knackered than he is.  Somebody said they had dreamed of an Andy/Delpo final - I could see that happening - with Andy as the eventual winner of course!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 03:30 AM »

I don't know - I just have a feeling about this one.  When the tournie started, I would have been glad for Andy to make semis and play a good match even if he lost.  Now, with the draw opening up as it has, I'm really beginning to wonder if this is Andy's time.  He deserves a bit of luck - who knows Daveed might even take Novak out and, if he doesn't, he will certainly give him the run around.  On the other side of the draw both quarter finals are likely to be long, drawn out affairs - so is the semi whoever is in it.  If Andy does make the final, hopefully his opponent will be more knackered than he is.  Somebody said they had dreamed of an Andy/Delpo final - I could see that happening - with Andy as the eventual winner of course!
That was me. Smile  I didn't actually dream about it though, only that it would be a wonderful dream if this happened - with Andy winning!  I agree with you about the other players as I reckon Nishikori shouldn't pose too much of a problem for Andy.  I think this tournament really could be wide open now.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #69 on: January 24, 2012, 05:38 PM »

Andy/Delpo final - I could see that happening...

Alas, that has gone out of the window now.  Didn't even get a flippin' set off the Fed.  Very disappointing.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #70 on: January 24, 2012, 05:59 PM »

Yes, it was disappointing - Delpo just isn't back to where he was yet and his poor showing made Smugfed look so much better than he actually is.  Never mind - hopefully Rafa and Fed will knock the living daylights out of one another in an epic 5 setter in their semi while Andy will cruise through against an exhausted Djoko or Fed!
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #71 on: January 24, 2012, 07:22 PM »

Sorry,it is not luck. it will be his mental performance. he has changed, all his interviews have been so much more confident no humming or harring, great news.
he is very happy far more relaxed , and Lendl is not there for nothing. He will get Andy there

IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #72 on: January 24, 2012, 08:12 PM »

Sorry,it is not luck. it will be his mental performance. he has changed, all his interviews have been so much more confident no humming or harring, great news.
he is very happy far more relaxed , and Lendl is not there for nothing. He will get Andy there

Agree cheers
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #73 on: January 24, 2012, 08:54 PM »

Maybe not this time, but certainly some time this year.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Murray cruises into the quarters « Reply #74 on: January 24, 2012, 09:12 PM »

Although clearly some tweaking needs done with the 2nd serve & maybe the forehand. Any good coach shall assist with the mental side of a player or he
cannot be described as one. TM! Hypnosis all of these mental options can also help, it's important when you perform to be relaxed & so should be considered as well but what Lendl can do that a certified shrink could never do is relate to what he's going through. And that's priceless. It might even
give him the edge in this tournament as he has been getting there for a
while before Lendl, although he hasn't really been tested yet. Let's hope for it.

I too believe that Lendl was hired for the psychological reason. Instead of digging deep into Andy's mind to find the answer, we have someone who can tell Andy what he went through and how he managed to overcome his fears.

Mod NoticeFixed your broken quote.
[ Last edit by Mark January 24, 2012, 11:24 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »