Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray dismantles Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray dismantles Raonic

(Read 3493 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray dismantles Raonic « on: September 04, 2012, 08:00 AM »

Andy Murray produced a superb display of all court tennis to nullify Milos Raonic and reach the quarter finals of the US Open. The Scot won 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 in just over two hours.

Ranoic's huge serve and equally big forehand form the nucleus of his game. The Canadian has hit a staggering 733 aces so far this year, second only to John Isner, and leads the way in terms of points won on first serve. If an opponent does manage to neutralise the first serve (easier said than done!) the Canadian often struggles. His ground game lacks consistency and his net play can, at times, be reminiscent of Roddick in net rushing mode.

So, nullifying the first serve was key... and boy did Murray do just that. Time and time again the Scot got on the end of serves which by rights should have been outright winners. Without his key stroke, Raonic's Plan B appeared to consist mostly of rushing to the net and watching agape as Murray threaded yet another pin point pass down the line.

Murray's own service games were oases of calm by comparison. Raonic failed to create any break point chances and the Scot was rarely under any sort of pressure. Mild moments of concern in the third set (not that dropping to 15-30 down is especially concerning) were averted with big serves.

This was a pleasing performance from Murray, especially when contrasted with his fourth round struggles against Lopez. Tactics and execution were perfect and a dangerous opponent was dispatched quickly and efficiently. His opponents press conference comments summed it up nicely: "He did things I had no answer for, something I had not really experienced before" and  "it was simply amazing".

Next up is Marin Cilic, scheduled for some time on Wednesday.
[ Last edit by boogers September 04, 2012, 09:57 AM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:38 AM »

Just brilliant.  OH YES  Very Happy   Bring on Cilic!!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:45 AM »

Have only read accounts of the match, I'm looking forward to watching it the afternoon. Having been very annoyed with Milos and his pre match comments, he has redeemed himself with post match comments, where he admitted that he was in awe of the way Andy played and how he had completely out played him even though he was playing his best. I do think he now has great respect for Andy and I hope he will never come out with similar comments again against any of his opponents.
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:36 AM »

What skills! Mesmerising at times. I could not take my eyes from the screen throughout the first two sets -- totally locked in! What a variety of shots!

MON' ANDY!
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:52 AM »

Can't wait to see the replay when I get home tonight.  This can be your year Andy, woohoo, so happy,  yay
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:07 AM »

Good and fair report, Phil.

Andy handed out a masterclass of supreme tennis. Well done our man!

Incidentally, noted that Andy varied his pre-serving bounce; from his usual 3 up to maximum of 6.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:19 AM »

Although I've not yet watched it, the report reads well and conveys the efficiency with which Andy appears to have dispatched someone who could have been a troubling opponent.  I too have warmed to Raonic abit having heard the honesty of his response to being utterly outclassed.  I think he may have learned a lesson about how to talk about your opponents.  For me this victory is significant more for what it augurs for the future than necessarily this tournament.  Had Raonic won he could have become one of those bogeymen who can plague Andy and you can imagine just how he'd have reminded Andy of that the next time they met.
I love the fact that Andy sounds to have used the variety in his game to outsmart the big server.  Those who were worried that he'd lost that side of his game in the pursuit of more aggression need worry no more it sounds like.  I think Andy has well and truly emerged from a tricky period of transition to become a pretty complete player.  The next trick is to be able to maintain that level or something close to it match in match out.
In the mean time all I can do is  clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 10:22 AM »

Not one break point for Milos during the whole match.  Didn't even look like getting one - my comms, not me saying that.

Well done Andy!

Nice to see you got out of the right side of the bed today Phil goodjob (yeah, I guess the result helps too).
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 10:23 AM »

Yes not one break point is pretty phenomenal isn't it.  And the stats generally look good - I posted the bbc report, which has them, on the other thread.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 10:37 AM »

Yes not one break point is pretty phenomenal isn't it.  And the stats generally look good - I posted the bbc report, which has them, on the other thread.

I may be wrong but I think Raonic only got to deuce once on Andy's serve.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 10:39 AM »

Wow, that's pretty amazing.
Here are some more match stats from USO website
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/stats/day14/1403ms.html?promo=sumscores
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 10:44 AM »

Fantastic 3 set win from Andy! Reading all comments he played awesome! Majestic Murray!   cmon yeah cmon yeah yay yay I was in bed reading till nearly 3am, could not watch, I was so nervous, had a bad stomach, and feeling sick. I just could not bring myself to watch I was just so worried, after watching Raonic's video about how Andy would have to play his game to suit HIM, I was so scared, I did say lots of prayers for Andy during the night, could not stop thinking about the match, but just could not bring myself to watch it, I was a mess. Will watch it today in a calm state.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:48 AM »

Thanks for those stats Ruthie. They really show how well Murray played.How is it that he can reach such heights and then sometimes be almost unable to serve at all?  I shall remember his match against Raonic for a long time to come
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 10:49 AM »

Fantastic 3 set win from Andy! Reading all comments he played awesome! Majestic Murray!   cmon yeah cmon yeah yay yay I was in bed reading till nearly 3am, could not watch, I was so nervous, had a bad stomach, and feeling sick. I just could not bring myself to watch I was just so worried, after watching Raonic's video about how Andy would have to play his game to suit HIM, I was so scared, I did say lots of prayers for Andy during the night, could not stop thinking about the match, but just could not bring myself to watch it, I was a mess. Will watch it today in a calm state.

I think this teaches us that this sort of pre-match talk is just bluster, from any player. I'm glad that Andy doesn't engage in it because it just serves to fire up your opponent and makes you look silly when you get whacked.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 10:50 AM »

I may be wrong but I think Raonic only got to deuce once on Andy's serve.

Yep, I think you are right, just to deuce the once.

Fantastic 3 set win from Andy! Reading all comments he played awesome! Majestic Murray!   cmon yeah cmon yeah yay yay I was in bed reading till nearly 3am, could not watch, I was so nervous, had a bad stomach, and feeling sick. I just could not bring myself to watch I was just so worried, after watching Raonic's video about how Andy would have to play his game to suit HIM, I was so scared, I did say lots of prayers for Andy during the night, could not stop thinking about the match, but just could not bring myself to watch it, I was a mess. Will watch it today in a calm state.

My American comms just loved the match!

How Andy nullified the one weapon Milos had, his serve.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »