Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray dismantles Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray dismantles Raonic

(Read 2769 times)
sengamac
Challenger Level

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 11:07 AM »

Thanks for the report Phil, it was a great match from Andy and a masterclass for Milos.  Maybe now he realises that to be a great tennis player and beat the best you need more than a big serve, big mouth and big head.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 11:25 AM »

Gr8 report again Boogers. clap  Good to see your happy face. Wink
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 11:30 AM »

A top top performance from Murray and an honor to watch.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 11:45 AM »

Hi All,

I know I am going to tempt fate, but it feels to me as if Andy is hitting his Olympics form again, and at the right time. There was something in the way he played last night that reminded me so much of the way he was at the Olympics, calm, efficient, with the right game plan that he executed perfectly.

What I do feel is interesting, I said as much yesterday, is that there seems to be consensus across the more knowledgable comms that Andy's issues before last night were not with his game, but with the conditions, indeed, there have been comments about how well Andy has played so far. I'm not saying the Lopez match wasn't tricky, and I'm not saying Andy didn't seem nervous in the first round, but he has responded to threats so well throughout so far, lifting his game when he needed to and playing some magical stuff. When he has struggled it has been with the heat and humidity, not his tennis really. If it is going to be a bit cooler over the next few days I think he'll be fine. To be truthful, and also tempting fate, it feels like he has whethered that particular storm anyway. I hope so.

Having watched the match now, I have to say that Andy was superb, really fantastic. He served really well, returned brilliantly, and was focused and calm throughout. It must be tempting when playing someone like Raonic to get frustrated and impatient, but Andy didn't. He said before the match that he had to be patient, and he was. As ever for me though, the highlight of the match was Andy's shot-making skills. His passing shots were.....Well, words fail. Miraculous might just about get close.

I think Raonic might well have been taught a lesson. Part of it is don't muck with Murray lol. However, more importantly, it's that one day he may well challenge in the business end of slams, but that day is a way off yet. He is young, he does have time, but the challenge he faces is the one they all face at some point. To not get blown up by his own publicity. Raonic has been touted for a while now as the next big thing, and to be fair, though I don't like his game particularly, I think it's a bit one-dimensional, he has some of the tools needed to go far. What he needs to do is learn and grow as a player, and balance self belief with just a dash of humility, although credit to him for the way he was in defeat, because that was gracious.

I do think this one was important for Andy moving forward, beyond this tournament. Another loss to Raonic, in a slam no less, would have fed Raonic's confidence no end, irrespective of Andy's ability to beat him in other situations. It would have been a psychological advantage to Raonic, who could have built on it to become Andy's bogeyman. Now Andy has sent a clear signal out that he isn't going away, and certainly not to a new boy. I think it has also sent a clear signal out to the locker room of where Andy's mind and game are now, and his intentions over the days ahead.
Anyway, I haven't looked at all the stats yet, but the fact that Andy made just 12 unforced errors and something like 31 winners says it all for me. He was brilliant. clap clap clap clap clap clap.
IP Logged
Patsy
Satellite Level

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 12:05 PM »

Hi All,

I know I am going to tempt fate, but it feels to me as if Andy is hitting his Olympics form again, and at the right time. There was something in the way he played last night that reminded me so much of the way he was at the Olympics, calm, efficient, with the right game plan that he executed perfectly.

What I do feel is interesting, I said as much yesterday, is that there seems to be consensus across the more knowledgable comms that Andy's issues before last night were not with his game, but with the conditions, indeed, there have been comments about how well Andy has played so far. I'm not saying the Lopez match wasn't tricky, and I'm not saying Andy didn't seem nervous in the first round, but he has responded to threats so well throughout so far, lifting his game when he needed to and playing some magical stuff. When he has struggled it has been with the heat and humidity, not his tennis really. If it is going to be a bit cooler over the next few days I think he'll be fine. To be truthful, and also tempting fate, it feels like he has whethered that particular storm anyway. I hope so.

Having watched the match now, I have to say that Andy was superb, really fantastic. He served really well, returned brilliantly, and was focused and calm throughout. It must be tempting when playing someone like Raonic to get frustrated and impatient, but Andy didn't. He said before the match that he had to be patient, and he was. As ever for me though, the highlight of the match was Andy's shot-making skills. His passing shots were.....Well, words fail. Miraculous might just about get close.

I think Raonic might well have been taught a lesson. Part of it is don't muck with Murray lol. However, more importantly, it's that one day he may well challenge in the business end of slams, but that day is a way off yet. He is young, he does have time, but the challenge he faces is the one they all face at some point. To not get blown up by his own publicity. Raonic has been touted for a while now as the next big thing, and to be fair, though I don't like his game particularly, I think it's a bit one-dimensional, he has some of the tools needed to go far. What he needs to do is learn and grow as a player, and balance self belief with just a dash of humility, although credit to him for the way he was in defeat, because that was gracious.

I do think this one was important for Andy moving forward, beyond this tournament. Another loss to Raonic, in a slam no less, would have fed Raonic's confidence no end, irrespective of Andy's ability to beat him in other situations. It would have been a psychological advantage to Raonic, who could have built on it to become Andy's bogeyman. Now Andy has sent a clear signal out that he isn't going away, and certainly not to a new boy. I think it has also sent a clear signal out to the locker room of where Andy's mind and game are now, and his intentions over the days ahead.
Anyway, I haven't looked at all the stats yet, but the fact that Andy made just 12 unforced errors and something like 31 winners says it all for me. He was brilliant. clap clap clap clap clap clap.
Hi Teejay, couldn't agree more re your assessment of this match. Andy played a blinder and as you rightly say has sent a clear message not only to Raonic but to the other players. I always enjoy reading your posts Teejay, they are warm,witty and very insightful. You always seem to" put the nail on the head" as to Andy's performances. He seemed to carry an aura last night that said"I have an answer for anything you care to dish up". Not quite an air of invincibility but pretty close. It was also great to see Ivan smiling at Andy's brilliant shot-making, he looked like a proud father!
IP Logged
bes03_philippines
Satellite Level

game, set, match!

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 12:09 PM »

Anyone has a link where I can watch the whole match? Please. Missed it because I was on hospital duty.
IP Logged
alisonfiner

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 12:12 PM »

Fantastic 3 set win from Andy! Reading all comments he played awesome! Majestic Murray!   cmon yeah cmon yeah yay yay I was in bed reading till nearly 3am, could not watch, I was so nervous, had a bad stomach, and feeling sick. I just could not bring myself to watch I was just so worried, after watching Raonic's video about how Andy would have to play his game to suit HIM, I was so scared, I did say lots of prayers for Andy during the night, could not stop thinking about the match, but just could not bring myself to watch it, I was a mess. Will watch it today in a calm state.

I was just like you ChrisMac, but managed to conquer my nerves and stay up to watch the match live.  Really glad I did, it was a brilliant display of how to dismantle your opponent's game and nullify his one big weapon.  Andy's whole game was quite simply awesome.  Hope you enjoy watching the replay.  Bring on Cilic!!
IP Logged
WishIWasKim

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 12:18 PM »

Hi all - my first post on MW although I have been lurking for a while.

I was unable to stay up and watch last night and woke up with a sick feeling in my stomach while I checked the result - delighted for Andy - especially as a Scot living in England and having to put up with the anti-Murray baiting  Rolling Eyes

Can't wait for him to win his first Grand Slam - no doubt in my mind it is going to happen - and soon.....
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 12:59 PM »

Hi Teejay, couldn't agree more re your assessment of this match. Andy played a blinder and as you rightly say has sent a clear message not only to Raonic but to the other players. I always enjoy reading your posts Teejay, they are warm,witty and very insightful. You always seem to" put the nail on the head" as to Andy's performances. He seemed to carry an aura last night that said"I have an answer for anything you care to dish up". Not quite an air of invincibility but pretty close. It was also great to see Ivan smiling at Andy's brilliant shot-making, he looked like a proud father!

Thanks Patsy, you're very kind. In all honesty you reminded me of the news I meant to break about the match. Mr. L cracked a smile, more than one lol. He did look like a proud father, I agree!

It's funny, early on when Andy teamed up with Mr. L, some of the pundits said they didn't think Mr. L would invest anything in to Andy, because he doesn't need to coach, having already proved himself in the game. However, though Mr. L does manage to be objective about Andy's performances, I think he has invested a great deal in terms of doing everything he can to help Andy get to where he wants to be. I think the faith he has in Andy, his mere presence in Andy's corner, as someone who has been there and done it and had similar struggles, has done Andy the power of good, and performances like last night's show it. I loved the match to bits.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 01:03 PM »

I wonder if Raonic will now feel that perhaps Andy has his 'aura' back again, that he supposedly had lost when Raonic beat him the first time.

Great report Boogers.

I want to watch all the winners again but I can't really be arsed to watch the whole match again, bit of a dilemma really. lol

Also welcome to WishIWasKim.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 01:05 PM »

What an absolute stunner of a match from Andy!
I think I might have been the only one who wasn't a bit nervous. There was no way Milos was winning this.

Andy's game is a Rembrandt, whereas Milos is still painting by numbers.

Thanks for the brill report too Boogers. I can see you grinning from here. Very Happy
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 01:12 PM »

The BBC reckon Murray is 26. doh
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 01:21 PM »

Super report Boogers, thanks very much. Just watching the play back as I got up in time to watch the third set. Didn't realise that Raonic as well as Tomic had made a few unfortunate remarks, Tomic has certainly upset Pat Cash re Davis cup.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 01:25 PM »

Super report Boogers, thanks very much. Just watching the play back as I got up in time to watch the third set. Didn't realise that Raonic as well as Tomic had made a few unfortunate remarks, Tomic has certainly upset Pat Cash re Davis cup.

Think it was Pat Rafter, Jan. Smile But yes, Tomic does seem to be a bit of a loose cannon by the looks of it.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray dismantles Raonic « Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 01:39 PM »

Welcome "wish I was Kim". Please stop lurking and post your views and opinions.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »