Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray dismisses sports psychology 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray dismisses sports psychology

(Read 6242 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #180 on: December 20, 2011, 10:19 AM »

Hear, hear Aileen and Deb!!
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #181 on: December 20, 2011, 10:49 AM »

Thanks for the article Aileen, what John Inverdale said is exactly how is fans see it, and it's so nice an encouraging to see it printed in a newspaper. I too am very proud of what Andy has achieved, and wish him every success for the 2012. If anyone deserves to be a the top it's definitely Andy Murray.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #182 on: December 20, 2011, 12:45 PM »

Thanks for the article Aileen, what John Inverdale said is exactly how is fans see it, and it's so nice an encouraging to see it printed in a newspaper. I too am very proud of what Andy has achieved, and wish him every success for the 2012. If anyone deserves to be a the top it's definitely Andy Murray.
clap
IP Logged
araminta
Futures Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #183 on: December 20, 2011, 02:10 PM »

I expect people will think I am being terribly naive but here are a few observations.
Andy should remember
1. He is only human and will not win every point, game or match.
2. His opponent will hit aces and brilliant shots that even he cannot retrieve.
3. That getting angry and frustrated with his team and himself wastes energy and destroys concentration.

He could also remember that
1. He has all the shots in the book plus those unbelievable ones that defy explanantion
2. He can turn matches around when all looks lost
3. He can win when not playing his best when he stays calm and fights
4. He can beat anyone playing today

It all seems so simple, if only.
IP Logged
kel3350
Junior

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #184 on: December 20, 2011, 02:19 PM »

Totally agree with that Aileen, thank goodness for John Inverdale, i am very proud of Andy, and hope all his dreams come true in 2012, and i am sure they will.
Yes, John Inverdale is one of the best sport  broadcasters we have in the UK, in my opinion. Does anyone really care about SPOTY, though?
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #185 on: December 20, 2011, 03:31 PM »

I expect people will think I am being terribly naive but here are a few observations.
Andy should remember
3. That getting angry and frustrated with his team and himself wastes energy and destroys concentration.

1. He has all the shots in the book plus those unbelievable ones that defy explanantion

Good post,
I couldn't have said any of it better myself. I do believe maturity shall solve these issues for the most part.
Lets just hope its sooner rather than later.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #186 on: December 20, 2011, 03:44 PM »

Andy training in Miami today.   (Thanks Aileen I managed to post this from facebook.)

* ANDY MURRAY TRAINING.jpg (15.16 KB, 320x240 - viewed 244 times.)
[ Last edit by michelle December 20, 2011, 05:16 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #187 on: December 21, 2011, 04:22 AM »

Aye - oor very ain "Sunday Post"!  Pity it's a paper with such a limited readership because I'd like to let the whole of Britain read it, especially as Inverdale is an Englishman born and bred!  However, he covers rugby union as well and I've always found him to be an unbiased commentator both in that and in tennis and he's always had a high regard for Andy, although he's not blinkered to his weaknesses.

Andy should remember

Nothing naive about that Araminta because I believe it all to be true.  Just wish that somebody would hammer it into Andy's brain!

Andy training in Miami today.   (Thanks Aileen I managed to post this from facebook.)
Thanks for pic.  Well done!

This is not a criticism by the way, just curiosity, because I'm not quite sure how you managed to post it as, when I clicked on "quote", all that appeared on the screen was the image signs with no URL in beween. Think   What should happen is that when you click on "insert image", the URL should be pasted between these two where the cursor is and so should appear on screen between these signs.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #188 on: December 21, 2011, 07:57 AM »

Aye - oor very ain "Sunday Post"!  Pity it's a paper with such a limited readership because I'd like to let the whole of Britain read it, especially as Inverdale is an Englishman born and bred!  However, he covers rugby union as well and I've always found him to be an unbiased commentator both in that and in tennis and he's always had a high regard for Andy, although he's not blinkered to his weaknesses.
Nothing naive about that Araminta because I believe it all to be true.  Just wish that somebody would hammer it into Andy's brain!
Thanks for pic.  Well done!

This is not a criticism by the way, just curiosity, because I'm not quite sure how you managed to post it as, when I clicked on "quote", all that appeared on the screen was the image signs with no URL in beween. Think   What should happen is that when you click on "insert image", the URL should be pasted between these two where the cursor is and so should appear on screen between these signs.
Aileen, I can't remember ever having seen 'The Sunday Post' on general sale here in England, but I've been having it delivered here for nigh on 40 years now! Years ago, I had to wait till Monday morning before I seen it, but for quite a few years now, it's hit the mat every Sunday morning, as regular as clockwork! Can't say I'm too happy about the new format though......It's beginning to look like all the other Sunday papers, but at least, it's kept up it's standard of journalistic excellence!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #189 on: December 21, 2011, 02:37 PM »

Very fair point, it is one thing Andy losing to Roger in the final of a major, you know someone who has won a Slam 16 times, that is the expected result.

However when he faced Novak this year they were ranked 3 and 4 not a whole lot to chose between them on paper, Novak was perhaps the slight favourite because of his win over Roger in the Semis in straight sets, on refelction Murray can look upon that run and the result as a decent one against a guy who had one of the best seasons ever.

The fact that Andy lost in the major finals to both Federer and Novak in the same fashion has  more to do with Andy's inability to play uninhibited tennis (as he normally plays in Masters level against the same bunch) than to do with, let's say, a guy who's won 16 Slams or whatever.

But if that were true though, let's say for the argument's sake, Novak also beat Federer in three straight sets. Out of 4 meetings in Grand Slams since last year's USO, Nole has beaten Federer 3 times. See, it's all in the mindset; that is, if you have the game to do it all. Nole used to be his puppet once upon a time but he finally shrugged it off though that semi-final win at AO in 2008 sort of set the tone for the upcoming future. I guess those match points at USOs against him must have reminded him how things were in the past. You don't wanna be his puppet of all people. I don't think there's a turning point from here. 5 wins in the last 6 meetings. I'll take it.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #190 on: December 21, 2011, 03:08 PM »

Yes, John Inverdale is one of the best sport  broadcasters we have in the UK, in my opinion. Does anyone really care about SPOTY, though?

I absolutely don't care. I wasn't even aware of it. I'd like to see Andy in the big picture, in the big scheme of things. I want him to win Slams and that's all that matters to me now. I want big things for him. I want him to shut his naysayers off once and for all. There's nothing else that will please me more. But more importantly though, tennis, for me, is an individual game and it will always be that way. I follow this sport strictly for that reason. So it wouldn't have mattered to me if Andy was from somewhere else, Mars, Ethiopia, who cares - I would have loved him just as much and would have wanted big things for him just as much.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #191 on: December 21, 2011, 03:38 PM »

And from ESPN's Peter Bodo, one of the most respected bloggers in the tennis world -

It's not so bad for Andy Murray after all [19 Dec]

Although Andy Murray's late-season surge ensures that he won't be left off too many of the "best of" or "most memorable" lists, he'll more likely be cited for less glorious achievements, including:

• That wretched performance against Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open final.

• That February/March swoon, including those cringe-inducing losses to a pair of "Jrs," Donald Young and Alex Bogomolov.

• His stall -- once again -- at Wimbledon, this time in the semis.

• The four spankings he endured at the Grand Slam events.

But if you look at the big picture, there were mitigating circumstances attached to all those disappointments, and 2011 may go down as a year in which Murray took a huge step forward -- and set the stage for a potential breakthrough in 2012.

Read more - http://espn.go.com/tennis/blog/_/name/bodo_peter/id/7368413/tennis-not-bad-andy-murray-all

Thanks for that Bodo Article, Aileen. It’s very well written and gives a very good insight to what seemed like an otherwise disappointing year. It’s also very nice to see someone outside the normal fandom taking the time to put a different perspective on Andy’s achievements this year.

Biggest achievement for him this year was the fact that he didn’t go out early in all majors like the previous years and fought really hard to come back both times when he was almost down and out (RG and USO).

His matches against Nadal in Monte Carlo and Nole in Rome on clay will be memorable when all things end. He just may have set the landmark there who knows.

Winning 4 (including doubles) tournaments in three weeks was another noteworthy performance, especially reducing Nadal to only 4 points in the final set at the Tokyo Open and bageling him in the process.

Having said that, his mental aspects of things are still a very big question mark and no virtual improvement there. AO final and Rome semi-final against Nole, where he almost had the match but let it slip and then the Wimbledon semi-final against Nadal, where he had the match again in control but only to collapse wretchedly after that forehand miss, were all the big moments for him and should he had captured, it could have set the tone for the forthcoming years in a more assuring way. There are absolutely no excuses there for him to falter like that. So if you consider all that, one might feel, we are still in the same dark as before and this was just the silver lining to all that. Thankfully future is always unknown and never too predictable. Andy is known to be unpredictable.  
[ Last edit by -Emma- December 21, 2011, 03:56 PM ] IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #192 on: December 21, 2011, 05:24 PM »

"Having said that, his mental aspects of things are still a very big question mark and no virtual improvement there. AO final and Rome semi-final against Nole, where he almost had the match but let it slip and then the Wimbledon semi-final against Nadal, where he had the match again in control but only to collapse wretchedly after that forehand miss.."

I agree, there were really no good excuses for him to choke the way he did on those occasions. Particularly at Wimbledon where he had Nadal on the ropes.
But he is not a choker, he just doesn't show up when it really matters. So far.
Fortune favours the brave, and its time for Andy to step up to the plate.
As it stands right now I can't help thinking that the other 3 believe they will have it in the bag if they meet Andy in a slam final. He must now dissapoint them.
Surely he's going to be more confident next year, he's been doing this now for 7 years.
I'm hoperful for him to gain a positive momentum, picking up from where he left off in Asia. But I shall be at the end of my tether if i have to endure anymore nonsense.
And i won't be alone, but next year I'm hoping for more pleasant surprises a better attitude, better luck & that long awaited breakthrough.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #193 on: December 21, 2011, 07:10 PM »

Andy is not your typical choker I agree. He plays well until he makes the final and then he starts to think a bit too much perhaps and gets completely distracted. I’ve often said that, unless you want it, you can't win it. You have to want it without a shred of a doubt and you have to believe in yourself to the fullest. There can't be any ifs or buts about it; there can’t be any inner conflicts. He has to remove all doubts once he makes it to the final. Nobody is going to give to him. Think about Federer, Nadal and now Nole etc. You can see how much they want it and they fight until the very end. It has to be that way for Andy as well. One time he has to make that extra effort. He has to go all the way.

But on the flip side, I have a feeling that, all has to fall into places for Andy to finally come together. We can't force it and neither can he.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #194 on: December 21, 2011, 11:27 PM »

For sure, when you see the momentum the others have attained in the final week of a slam, you know when they are on the verge of taking the whole thing. Case in point: Novak this year at the AO. You could see he had grown into a position of unasailabilty caused by his own belief and the purity of his will.
He looked like he was going to win because you could see he believed it himself.
There's so much going on with Andy so it's more difficult for him to harness
His 'essence', but if he does manage it, well hang on to your britches that's all I'll say.
But he needs to keep his eye on the prize, he must believe its his & nothing else should exist until he's reached it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »