Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray dismisses sports psychology 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray dismisses sports psychology

(Read 6792 times)
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Murray dismisses sports psychology « on: November 28, 2011, 12:55 PM »

Andy Murray has banished the idea of using sports psychologists again, MurraysWorld.com can exclusively reveal.

Many have raised the question of whether he could benefit from a sports psychologist. However, Murray hired one in the earlier, more mentally frail part of his career, and has opened up about his disdain for using them.

Murray lamented: “I used sports psychologists when I was younger and all of them used to say the same thing.”

“Sometimes you need something different for the situation. You can’t always just say: “Breathe, count to 10.” I find it more beneficial talking to people who have played a sport at the top level.”

There were doubts over Murray’s mental qualities after a few particularly damning grand slam losses, such as Marin Cilic at the 2009 US Open, and Tomas Berdych at the 2010 French Open.

Since then Murray has built on his mental fibre and, in doing so, reached the semi-final of every grand slam this season.

Murray said: “I’ve spoken to ex-players about various situations on the court – the feelings they have whilst playing, how you feel in the build-up to big matches.”

“I always speak to different people for advice about how to play certain aspects of the game.”
[ Last edit by Mark November 28, 2011, 12:59 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:37 PM »

Hmmm... Well I guess if having a Sports Psychologist doesn't help him (which by his own admission, it hasn't) then that is that.  However, I can't help but feel that he's maybe not receptive to the kind of advice offered.  You can lead a horse to water... etc.

I think the telling comment from Andy is the 'I always speak to different people for advice about how to play certain aspects of the game'.  Too many cooks spoil the broth!
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 02:54 PM »

He should use Hypnosis I think, or maybe TM.
Its all about relaxation & improving your mentality.
Yes i believe it might do the trick
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:34 PM »

At the end of the day, If he doesn't believe that anything psychological will help, it won't. 
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:42 PM »

At the end of the day,when all the dust settles Andy will do as he pleases..thats  the way it sould be.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:11 PM »

At the end of the day
At the end of the day
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 04:31 PM »

That's exactly what I've always said! Hypnosis would definately help, though I feel he has improved considerably this year!
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 04:49 PM »

Listen hear young mark ,I did not post that grubby little man  Whistle
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 05:33 PM »

"At the end of the day,when all the dust settles Andy will do as he pleases..thats  the way it sould be"

Well, I agree but clearly he needs a bit of help about his mentality. Sports Psychologists are very different from Hypnotherapists, its not about giving out advice etc its about being relaxed & open & improving your sense of well being & mental discipline, when he gets to finals he is clearly too nervous, or subdued. But of-course its all up to Andy.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 05:48 PM »

Piss off!  Smile
IP Logged
Lejla Federer

I love Andy, and Andy loves me!

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 08:08 PM »

I really believe that Andy needs some help with his mental qualities. He is definitely very good player, but when he's playing against players who are better ranked then him I feel like he is scared and even when he is better than his opponent he need a lot of chances (break or match points) to finally win the match. :O
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 11:02 PM »

I think Andy is more scared of the man on his own side of the net than of anyone on the other side.   
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 11:05 PM »

That's exactly what I've always said! Hypnosis would definately help, though I feel he has improved considerably this year!

In what has he improved? In his play? In his mental approach? In what else? Please be specific. This is not like you to be so vague!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 06:10 AM »

And it's not like you to be so grumpy! Now let's see.........What were we talking about? Oh yes......hypnosis! now what do you suppose that would help him with?
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 08:35 PM »

He only needs to consult with the following people for mental toughness: Sampras, Agassi or Lendl.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »