Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray dismisses sports psychology 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 16 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray dismisses sports psychology

(Read 6212 times)
Big V

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 11:40 PM »

I agree with Cas, Andy has improved considerably this year. The game and mental toughness go together. He would never have had the results this year and the year end winning streak on technique and strategy alone. He started believing in himself and stayed present again lesser players much more than in the past, when he tended to drift off for entire games.  He's been playing recently with more purpose and mental strength.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 06:15 AM »

Exactly! Thanks Big V!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 12:44 PM »

That's odd I thought I'd posted a comment in this thread but it seems to have disappeared.  So I'll say it again.  While I'm disappointed that Andy has dismissed sports psychology, I'm heartened that he does seem to be taking this side of things seriously. OK a psychologist hasn't worked for him.  If he thinks he can get more help from other players who have been there fine.  And I agree that I think that is beginning to show.  I'd now like him to spend some time with Agassi while he's in the States.  Agassi was his hero when growing up and is someone who would understand Andy I feel.  He showed real warmth towards him at that ceremony to mark the Wimby roof. 
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 02:52 PM »

Yes odd indeed, it said you had posted on my computer Ruthie  but nothing, and i posted yesterday and that didnt come up!! Any way i totally agree spending  time with Agassi would be so good for Andy. What i said yesterday was lets all vote for Andy on BBC sports personaity , and that Andy was on sky sports 1 25th nov on James Corden League of their own, it was very interesting what Andy said very funny and well worth watching, i am sure they repeat it.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 03:53 PM »

Sorry Ruthie, I assume your missing post is the one which was moved to here: http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/t19782/msg683590/#msg683590

Everyone: Please can we keep the BBC sports talk in the thread linked in this post rather than here. Thanks.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 05:07 PM »

Sorry Ruthie, I assume your missing post is the one which was moved to here: http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/t19782/msg683590/#msg683590

Everyone: Please can we keep the BBC sports talk in the thread linked in this post rather than here. Thanks.
sorry Mark didnt see it.  doh
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 07:16 PM »

Ah at least I know I'm not losing it Mark!  Sorry that I mixed up items in one posting but I think I was going with the flow.  Deb I think the James Corden appearance was a repeat - and I too enjoyed it.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 11:01 AM »

Ah at least I know I'm not losing it Mark!  Sorry that I mixed up items in one posting but I think I was going with the flow.  Deb I think the James Corden appearance was a repeat - and I too enjoyed it.
OH was it, sorry i thought it was a new one.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 11:54 AM »

The one comment I pick up on, was McEnroe's interview stating that Andy MUST control his oncourt emotions.

This is far more important than requiring a sports psychologist. Andy gives too much away to his opponents, who take advantage of Andy's self oncourt-flagellation. Once he can do that the rest will probably be history.

I know Andy has made enormous strides in this direction during the past year, but there is more improvement needed.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 12:23 PM »

The one comment I pick up on, was McEnroe's interview stating that Andy MUST control his oncourt emotions.

This is far more important than requiring a sports psychologist. Andy gives too much away to his opponents, who take advantage of Andy's self oncourt-flagellation. Once he can do that the rest will probably be history.

I know Andy has made enormous strides in this direction during the past year, but there is more improvement needed.
But surely he needs someone to help him control those emotions?  I totally agree, he gives far too much away, and he needs to reign that in.  It doesn't look like he is capable of doing that by himself, and it doesn't seem he is open to any psychological help.  This, I feel, is his downfall.

Having said all that, I do think this is why his fans engage with him.  He is human, and always shows the vulnerable side of himself.  He is true to himself at all times, and that counts for a lot as a person, maybe not so much for a ruthless Champion though.
[ Last edit by Elly December 03, 2011, 12:31 PM ] IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 01:59 PM »

He can learn to be more ruthless.
Look how well he has improved over just the last 6 months since the US,
I don't know about you but it I thought it was eye opening not just in temperament but in the serve and forehand. Who'd bet against him not getting it together in the coming months. As I have said before it is a factual reality that Andy is the youngest of the 4 stats wise, you might not want
Bet your house on it either, but surely his time is nigh & when he wins that first slam. Well, the whole thing might just finally come together take off into uncharted levels and we could be witnessing one of the greats of the sport in action.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 02:06 PM »

^ Am sorry, but I don't agree that he can learn to be more ruthless.  I'm really hoping to see him win a Slam - he deserves it, what with all the talent he has displayed.  However, for whatever reason, he seems always to be the bridesmaid and never the bride. I don't see that changing now.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 02:17 PM »

Well he's had 3 finals and 3 spankings so I see where your coming from.
My point is he is a better player even than recently and still has the most to potentially improve.
He needs a bit of luck to begin with too.
Novak didn't have an on fire Federer to deal with in his first AO final,
Nor did Roger have a blazing Novak to contend with.
But this idea he can't learn and improve and so the outcome is a foregone conclusion is just pessimistic nonsense.
Already a lot of Murrays games stats are like a multiple slam winner and when he puts himself in contention again and again hell get his chance to breakthrough.
Unless he has the worst luck ever of someone who hasn't died in a plane crash.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 02:38 PM »

Well Ivanisevic lost his first 3 Wimbledon finals and then won on his 4th attempt as a WC so don't write Andy off just yet.

He'll be holding one of the 4 GS trophy aloft at least once before his career is over, I'm sure of it.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 03:06 PM »

Why just the once or twice even?
No way are the other 3 much better than Andy that they can have double figures of slams when he gets to be the one slam wonder.
In fact in my view he's just as talented & in some ways more so.
If he gets to the AO final, I'll be happy if he at least loses well this time ie
Gets to 5 sets or a very close 4 setter.
That will show that he is getting there, regardless if he wins it (although I hope he does)
And then we shall see.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »