Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray dismisses sports psychology 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray dismisses sports psychology

(Read 6709 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #195 on: December 22, 2011, 03:04 AM »

Aileen, I can't remember ever having seen 'The Sunday Post' on general sale here in England, but I've been having it delivered here for nigh on 40 years now! Years ago, I had to wait till Monday morning before I seen it, but for quite a few years now, it's hit the mat every Sunday morning, as regular as clockwork! Can't say I'm too happy about the new format though......It's beginning to look like all the other Sunday papers, but at least, it's kept up it's standard of journalistic excellence!
That's odd, because when I was in London in the early 1960s I used to buy it every Sunday - but maybe it was only on sale in the cities then.

I don't like the new format either.  A lot of the good old stuff has gone and it's awash with pages of adverts - presumably to keep the price down.  OK, so the cost is well below that of other Sundays, and it does have a magazine, but I'd happily pay more just to get the old "Post" back.  Still, as you say, it's kept up it's standards of being a family newspaper.

I agree, there were really no good excuses for him to choke the way he did on those occasions. Particularly at Wimbledon where he had Nadal on the ropes.
But he is not a choker, he just doesn't show up when it really matters. So far.
Fortune favours the brave, and its time for Andy to step up to the plate.
As it stands right now I can't help thinking that the other 3 believe they will have it in the bag if they meet Andy in a slam final. He must now dissapoint them.
Surely he's going to be more confident next year, he's been doing this now for 7 years.
I'm hoperful for him to gain a positive momentum, picking up from where he left off in Asia. But I shall be at the end of my tether if i have to endure anymore nonsense.
And i won't be alone, but next year I'm hoping for more pleasant surprises a better attitude, better luck & that long awaited breakthrough.
That easy shot against Nadal which Andy fluffed should have been put to the back of his mind immediately.  Unfortunately one of his greatest failings has been that he dwells too much on these things, and instead of just accepting his mistakes and getting on with the game, he's still thinking about them several points later, and that's disastrous.  However, he claims he's getting on top of this aspect too.

Re his momentum following on from Asia - what a great pity that he was forced to pull out of Basel due to a freak injury, and then again having to pull out of the WTF.  I truly cannot see how that momentum can have been kept going.  The only thing in his favour is that, as a result of these withdrawals, he should be very fresh and rested by the time he gets to Australia, and hopefully the time spent with Cahill in Miami, brief though it is, will have paid some dividends, particuarly as Cahill is a man who won't stand for any nonsense from players.  It was certainly obvious this year that when either Cahill or Groeneveld were around, Andy's attitude and behaviour were almost impeccable, and, apart from a few blips, he showed in Asia that he's capable of self-control, but I think it's definitely a case of "work in progress".

My big question therefore is that, given his fairly long "to do" list, both mentally and with regards to his game, can we realistically expect to see big improvements next year, and that all-important breakthrough?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #196 on: December 22, 2011, 04:16 AM »

Anybody who thinks Andy's self-flagellation is bad should have a look at this.  Makes him a mere novice!  This incident happened in a match between Youzhny and Almagro at the 2008 Miami Master.  Incredibly Youznhy went on to win the match. The expression on his coach's face is priceless.

Not for the squeamish, by the way!

IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #197 on: December 22, 2011, 08:01 AM »

Although as a youngster I always liked and read the Sunday Post. In particular The Broons, Oor Wullie and its football coverage. Subsequently, I found it an intellectual disaster and stopped reading it.

Incidentally, the paper is obtainable in London and I have seen it in several suburban newsagents.

Merry Xmas and happy 2012 when it comes to all MW members.
IP Logged
kel3350
Junior

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #198 on: December 22, 2011, 11:40 AM »

Anybody who thinks Andy's self-flagellation is bad should have a look at this.  Makes him a mere novice!  This incident happened in a match between Youzhny and Almagro at the 2008 Miami Master.  Incredibly Youznhy went on to win the match. The expression on his coach's face is priceless.

I remember it well. Youzhny is nuts!
IP Logged
kel3350
Junior

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #199 on: December 22, 2011, 11:41 AM »

Although as a youngster I always liked and read the Sunday Post. In particular The Broons, Oor Wullie and its football coverage. Subsequently, I found it an intellectual disaster and stopped reading it.

Incidentally, the paper is obtainable in London and I have seen it in several suburban newsagents.

Merry Christmas, mate.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #200 on: December 22, 2011, 12:03 PM »

well well Andy is a mere pussy cat , not in Youzhny"s league  thats for sure!!! what a nutter.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #201 on: December 22, 2011, 12:05 PM »

merry christmas to OSS.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #202 on: December 23, 2011, 12:40 AM »

well well Andy is a mere pussy cat , not in Youzhny"s league  thats for sure!!! what a nutter.
And this is the player who's just obtained a PhD in philosophy ... Whistle  Quite frankly I'd have said from that behaviour that there was very little between his ears!

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all MW members too.
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #203 on: December 23, 2011, 01:17 AM »

And this is the player who's just obtained a PhD in philosophy ... Whistle  Quite frankly I'd have said from that behaviour that there was very little between his ears!

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all MW members too.

Well, Aileen, I would have said that he had waaaaaaay too much between his ears! So much so, that he felt a raging desire to relieve himself of some of it!

Merry Xmas, Murray Worlders and I hope you all find what your looking for in 2012.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #204 on: December 23, 2011, 01:37 AM »

Well, Aileen, I would have said that he had waaaaaaay too much between his ears! So much so, that he felt a raging desire to relieve himself of some of it!
You could be right.  His brain may well have been over-stocked! Very Happy
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #205 on: December 23, 2011, 02:14 AM »

lol
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #206 on: December 23, 2011, 04:41 AM »

My big question therefore is that, given his fairly long "to do" list, both mentally and with regards to his game, can we realistically expect to see big improvements next year, and that all-important breakthrough?

It's not that long, game wise, the forehand now penetrates and the serve has become very reliable and could become great at some point soon.
Mentally however is where most of the real estate still exists to be developed.
But no one knows how far he's come,  until we see how far he's come, (soon).
Improvements in his game will affect his mentality for the better, so looking at his stats for the year,  then yes I would say he is definitely there or at least on the verge of something special.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #207 on: December 23, 2011, 09:57 AM »

It's not that long, game wise, the forehand now penetrates and the serve has become very reliable and could become great at some point soon.
Mentally however is where most of the real estate still exists to be developed.
But no one knows how far he's come,  until we see how far he's come, (soon).
Improvements in his game will affect his mentality for the better, so looking at his stats for the year,  then yes I would say he is definitely there or at least on the verge of something special.
And I'm sure being able to train with Cahill during his training block (and hopefully be able to seek his advice at least during GSs) could help him over that verge and make the ultimate breakthrough [don't let's forget he has already broken through quite a bit just to be where he is and to have been there so long].
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #208 on: December 23, 2011, 11:44 AM »

What is so encouraging about Andy right now is that he appears to have become less of an open book.  In previous off-seasons we've been privvy to his various twitterings/pics and vids which has been great for the fans but probably not for Andy and the team.  He is such a down to earth natural guy and up to now has had no problem sharing details of his fitness workouts and training blocks, his fantasy soccer exploits and even some of his thoughts about the comms.

He appears to have wised-up and shut up shop, focusing solely on serious preparation for 2012.  Andy has come of age and seems to me to have become much more aware of his place in tennis.  He is a naturally gifted sportsman who finds himself having to dig real deep into his bodily resources to somehow come up with that super-human extraordinary effort in the big moments of the really big matches.  The conundrum for Andy is producing the magic at the crunch time.  The exciting thing is that he is a work of art just a brush stroke away from becoming a masterpiece. 

The others all know how good he is and every time the top guns play him at the highest level they raise their game to mind-blowing heights to thwart his talent.  So far they've got away with it, but Andy's moment is a heartbeat away.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #209 on: December 23, 2011, 12:04 PM »

What is so encouraging about Andy right now is that he appears to have become less of an open book.  In previous off-seasons we've been privvy to his various twitterings/pics and vids which has been great for the fans but probably not for Andy and the team.  He is such a down to earth natural guy and up to now has had no problem sharing details of his fitness workouts and training blocks, his fantasy soccer exploits and even some of his thoughts about the comms.

He appears to have wised-up and shut up shop, focusing solely on serious preparation for 2012.  Andy has come of age and seems to me to have become much more aware of his place in tennis.  He is a naturally gifted sportsman who finds himself having to dig real deep into his bodily resources to somehow come up with that super-human extraordinary effort in the big moments of the really big matches.  The conundrum for Andy is producing the magic at the crunch time.  The exciting thing is that he is a work of art just a brush stroke away from becoming a masterpiece. 

The others all know how good he is and every time the top guns play him at the highest level they raise their game to mind-blowing heights to thwart his talent.  So far they've got away with it, but Andy's moment is a heartbeat away.
Beautifully put as always Clementine, couldnt agree more.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »