Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray dismisses sports psychology 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray dismisses sports psychology

(Read 6357 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #210 on: December 23, 2011, 12:06 PM »

Merry Christmas and happy new year everyone. Hope 2012 is good for us all, especially Andy!! I hope all your dreams come true. yay
IP Logged
kel3350
Junior

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #211 on: December 23, 2011, 12:26 PM »

What is so encouraging about Andy right now is that he appears to have become less of an open book.  In previous off-seasons we've been privvy to his various twitterings/pics and vids which has been great for the fans but probably not for Andy and the team.  He is such a down to earth natural guy and up to now has had no problem sharing details of his fitness workouts and training blocks, his fantasy soccer exploits and even some of his thoughts about the comms.

He appears to have wised-up and shut up shop, focusing solely on serious preparation for 2012.  Andy has come of age and seems to me to have become much more aware of his place in tennis.  He is a naturally gifted sportsman who finds himself having to dig real deep into his bodily resources to somehow come up with that super-human extraordinary effort in the big moments of the really big matches.  The conundrum for Andy is producing the magic at the crunch time.  The exciting thing is that he is a work of art just a brush stroke away from becoming a masterpiece. 

The others all know how good he is and every time the top guns play him at the highest level they raise their game to mind-blowing heights to thwart his talent.  So far they've got away with it, but Andy's moment is a heartbeat away.
Nice post, clementine. Merry Christmas.
IP Logged
kel3350
Junior

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #212 on: December 23, 2011, 12:27 PM »

Merry Christmas and happy new year everyone. Hope 2012 is good for us all, especially Andy!! I hope all your dreams come true. yay
Have a good one, deb.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #213 on: December 23, 2011, 12:36 PM »

What is so encouraging about Andy right now is that he appears to have become less of an open book.  In previous off-seasons we've been privvy to his various twitterings/pics and vids which has been great for the fans but probably not for Andy and the team.  He is such a down to earth natural guy and up to now has had no problem sharing details of his fitness workouts and training blocks, his fantasy soccer exploits and even some of his thoughts about the comms.

He appears to have wised-up and shut up shop, focusing solely on serious preparation for 2012.  Andy has come of age and seems to me to have become much more aware of his place in tennis.  He is a naturally gifted sportsman who finds himself having to dig real deep into his bodily resources to somehow come up with that super-human extraordinary effort in the big moments of the really big matches.  The conundrum for Andy is producing the magic at the crunch time.  The exciting thing is that he is a work of art just a brush stroke away from becoming a masterpiece. 

The others all know how good he is and every time the top guns play him at the highest level they raise their game to mind-blowing heights to thwart his talent.  So far they've got away with it, but Andy's moment is a heartbeat away.
great post Clementine.  I love the image of Andy as a brush stroke away from being a masterpiece.  Perhaps Cahill will help provide that final lick of brilliance.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #214 on: December 23, 2011, 01:17 PM »

Putting Andy into “musical terms” – when the others come out you know what you are going to get:-
Rafa – Hard Rock – In your face, no getting away from it……
Smug – Easy Listening, laid back, supermarket music……….
Djoko – Euro Pop – bouncy, upbeat and you just know after a while it’s going to bug you………..

When Andy comes on court it’s a whole compilation album – you just don’t know what Is coming next until you look at the cover sleeve.

The guy has an amazing array of shotmaking – he can pull anything out of the bag as he has so much at his disposal.  (Although Smug had a good run of form towards the end of last season – he does play the same way and Andy has the game to match and better him).
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #215 on: December 23, 2011, 03:25 PM »

Putting Andy into “musical terms” – when the others come out you know what you are going to get:-
Rafa – Hard Rock – In your face, no getting away from it……
Smug – Easy Listening, laid back, supermarket music……….
Djoko – Euro Pop – bouncy, upbeat and you just know after a while it’s going to bug you………..

When Andy comes on court it’s a whole compilation album – you just don’t know what Is coming next until you look at the cover sleeve.

The guy has an amazing array of shotmaking – he can pull anything out of the bag as he has so much at his disposal.  (Although Smug had a good run of form towards the end of last season – he does play the same way and Andy has the game to match and better him).

Love it MM - esp the image of smugfed as 'easy listening' musical wallpaper though I guess I have to acknowledge it's him rather than his tennis which does rise well above that.  Perhaps we should put together the Andy Murray compilation album?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #216 on: December 24, 2011, 06:06 AM »

My big question therefore is that, given his fairly long "to do" list, both mentally and with regards to his game, can we realistically expect to see big improvements next year, and that all-important breakthrough?

It's not that long, game wise, the forehand now penetrates and the serve has become very reliable and could become great at some point soon.
Mentally however is where most of the real estate still exists to be developed.
But no one knows how far he's come,  until we see how far he's come, (soon).
Improvements in his game will affect his mentality for the better, so looking at his stats for the year,  then yes I would say he is definitely there or at least on the verge of something special.
Thanks for that assessment, which I find reassuring, but the reason I still find the mental side of things worrying is because I fear they may take longer than just a few months to sort out.  Has he left it too late?  I don't know.  Agassi certainly improved under Brad Gilbert when he was Andy's age, but he'd already won a Slam by then - ironically the one he wasn't expected to win, having reached the finals of the USO once and the FO twice.

What I am sure of, though, is that Andy won't suddenly "do a Djokovic".  Yes, I know he's impressed by what Djoko has achieved (who isn't?) and has obviously got inspiration from it, but Andy is who he is - he can't possibly become a Djokovic clone.  Apart from anything else, he's careful, some critics might say too careful, about his body to play with Djoko's intensity for months on end, and then suffer for it. 

The place where Andy has to become less of an open book is on the tennis court, and until he overcomes that, that beautiful analogy about a work of art is, sadly, less likely to become a reality.  Like everyone else I'm hoping and praying that his times with Cahill, brief though they may be, will be enough to provide that vital brush stroke.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #217 on: December 24, 2011, 10:09 AM »

Good posting! Clementine loved your post, that is exactly how we, Andy's fans see it.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #218 on: December 24, 2011, 11:14 AM »

Well said Clementine!
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #219 on: December 24, 2011, 01:40 PM »

Good one, Clementine!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #220 on: December 24, 2011, 02:29 PM »

murray is just good enough to win a grandslam.....he doesnt have any mental problems u know...he will surely win one in 2012!!!!
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #221 on: December 24, 2011, 02:54 PM »

"  Has he left it too late?  I don't know.  Agassi certainly improved under Brad Gilbert when he was Andy's age, but he'd already won a Slam by then - ironically the one he wasn't expected to win, having reached the finals of the USO once and the FO twice."

Left what too late, a winning mentality? 
He already has that it just needs to evolve a bit more. It's only in slam finals were this problem still exists.
Andy is 11 in the all time finals performances ahead of Rafa and 2 behind 
Roger who's career is coming to an end.  And was the third most reliable, slam wise, for the year.
The new number one has only been there, for what, 10 minutes, has 18 mths and 75 tour matches more under his belt, and Andy already has him figured out. And  I don't believe the reason Novak went on a tear was down to him winning the AO 3 years ago, or it would have happened 3 years ago. It was because he was finally maturing as a player finding a way to dominate Rafa.
Only 2 (soon not to be) teenagers in the entire top 100. Much more physicality & fitness demanded etc. I've said all this before, but really the times have changed. Everyone's going to be 'too late' going on if you make a direct comparison to the tour even 5 years ago. It's the way the tour has evolved.
As long as his games is still improving (which it most certainly is), he's still on track I think.
He's already almost there & no one shall be able to hold him back, even himself soon. And he can't be unlucky or unprepared forever.
I mean, what else is he going to be doing for the next 5 years anyway?
Anyway, Andy for the AO 2012!
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #222 on: December 24, 2011, 03:19 PM »

Oh and Merry XMAS & a happy 'Hogmanay' (?) to all of Andys fans here!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #223 on: December 24, 2011, 04:45 PM »

"  Has he left it too late?  I don't know.  Agassi certainly improved under Brad Gilbert when he was Andy's age, but he'd already won a Slam by then - ironically the one he wasn't expected to win, having reached the finals of the USO once and the FO twice."

Left what too late, a winning mentality?
He already has that it just needs to evolve a bit more. It's only in slam finals were this problem still exists.
Andy is 11 in the all time finals performances ahead of Rafa and 2 behind
Roger who's career is coming to an end.  And was the third most reliable, slam wise, for the year.
The new number one has only been there, for what, 10 minutes, has 18 mths and 75 tour matches more under his belt, and Andy already has him figured out. And  I don't believe the reason Novak went on a tear was down to him winning the AO 3 years ago, or it would have happened 3 years ago. It was because he was finally maturing as a player finding a way to dominate Rafa.
Only 2 (soon not to be) teenagers in the entire top 100. Much more physicality & fitness demanded etc. I've said all this before, but really the times have changed. Everyone's going to be 'too late' going on if you make a direct comparison to the tour even 5 years ago. It's the way the tour has evolved.
As long as his games is still improving (which it most certainly is), he's still on track I think.
He's already almost there & no one shall be able to hold him back, even himself soon. And he can't be unlucky or unprepared forever.
I mean, what else is he going to be doing for the next 5 years anyway?
Anyway, Andy for the AO 2012!
Interesting assessment theycanbillme.  Hadn't seen that stat about all time finals before.  Trouble is ultimately Andy will be judged by and will judge himself by whether he makes that elusive GS.  So while I wish I could not mind whether or not he wins a GS and just enjoy his tennis when he is on form, it's difficult not to have that ultimate test looming over everything.  Anyway, here's wishing and hoping that 2012 is the year.   
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray dismisses sports psychology « Reply #224 on: December 25, 2011, 10:38 AM »

Each year Andy has shown improvement over the previous one, except when he was injured. Therefore, on that basis, 2012 should be an exceptional year.

No predictions. I shall keep them to myself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »