Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt

(Read 1837 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « on: October 14, 2011, 03:07 PM »

Andy Murray moved into the semi finals of the Shanghai Masters with a workmanlike 6-3 6-2 victory over Matthew Ebden.

The Australian, a qualifier ranked outside of the top 100, had scored the biggest victory of his career in the previous round by defeating Gilles Simon in a third set tiebreak. He was competitive but rarely posed a threat to Murray, who was content to motor along in second gear.

The Scot apparently took to the court expecting to quickly overpower Ebden and was visibly frustrated after spurning multiple break points in the first three service games. Previously this might have resulted in a loss of concentration followed by an all too predictable break of serve, but the calmer Murray of recent times reasserted himself and swiftly took control of the match.

It's difficult to give a true appraisal of this match. Murray was clearly playing far below his best, but this was still more than enough to dispatch a player who was clearly inferior in all aspects of the game.

Next up is Kei Nishikori, the protege of Brad Gilbert. A fascinating matchup by any measure...
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 03:14 PM »

Good report Boogers......Andy usually only ever plays as good as he has to! True to form today!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 03:25 PM »

Good report Boogers......Andy usually only ever plays as good as he has to! True to form today!

Unfortunately, our Sky picture deserted us at the beginning of the second set and we only had the sound but it seems as though Andy did enough to get through fairly comfortably.  He did say in interview that he was very nervous and quite tentative - didn't know why!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 03:27 PM »

Andy did say he was very nervous at the beginning, that was why his play was so tentative at the start. Thought he wrapped it up well. Not easy to play someone you've not played before and one who will play all out as they have nothing to lose.
[ Last edit by michelle October 14, 2011, 04:01 PM ] IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 03:58 PM »

I think when you are winning, that you get nervous because you don't want the wininng to stop.  And so I can understand the adrenalin flowing playing an opponent you haven't played before.  I think he will have the same nerves tomorrow.  I'm sure his team will advise him well before tomorrows match.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:16 PM »

SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS 2011

In-Form Murray To Face Nishikori In SFs
Shanghai, China
by ATP Staff

© Getty Images
Andy Murray will play Kei Nishikori on Saturday.
 Andy Murray remained on course to complete an Asian title treble on Friday, after the second seed beat Australian qualifier Matthew Ebden 6-3, 6-2 for a place in the Shanghai Rolex Masters semi-finals.

The match swung in Murray's favour at 2-3 in the first set, when he went onto win seven games in a row against Ebden, who is projected to rise from World No. 124 to around No. 80 in the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings on Friday.

Ebden earned his first break point opportunity in the seventh game of the second set, but Murray fired down an ace. Murray hit seven aces in total and won 77 per cent of his service points for victory in 85 minutes at the Qi Zhong Stadium.

Murray is on a 13-match winning streak since losing in the US Open semi-finals (l. to Nadal). In recent weeks, he has lifted ATP World Tour trophies at the PTT Thailand Open in Bangkok (d. Young) and the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships (d. Nadal).

The 24-year-old Scot, who has already qualified for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, added 180 South African Airways 2011 ATP Year-To-Date Rankings points and now has 6,560 total points, which is 1,375 points ahead of No. 4-ranked Swiss Roger Federer.

Murray has a 52-11 match record on the season and has won 23 of his past 24 matches since mid-August. He will be attempting to reach his sixth final of the year against Japan's Kei Nishikori on Saturday
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 04:22 PM »

STADIUM start 2:00 pm
[4] M Bhupathi (IND) / L Paes (IND) vs [2] M Mirnyi (BLR) / D Nestor (CAN)

Not Before 4:30 PM
F Lopez (ESP) vs [3] D Ferrer (ESP)

Not Before 8:00 PM
K Nishikori (JPN) vs [2] A Murray (GBR)

IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 04:40 PM »

Thank you boogers, & Appollo. Good for Andy, was feeling nervous & did very well!. Resting well, now best policy. Keep it up, Andy, you are almost there! Deep breathing & relaxation when not playing. We are all rooting for you and cheering you on!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 04:45 PM »

Couldn't see match but checking the score...our boy done good Super
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 05:02 PM »

A very accurate and fair account of todays match.

We were perhaps anticipating an even quicker victory, but this match just shows how a players frame of mind affects a match, even when up against a qualifier.

Thanks Boogers!
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 05:03 PM »

Couldn't see match but checking the score...our boy done good Super

Yes, Indeed!    yay
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 05:08 PM »

Also, Andy's game exists on such an exquisitely fine line between success and failure most of the time, it takes him ages to adjust to new court conditions/temperature/humidity etc. I feel people expect too much too soon in his matches. eg His serve is so tight to the net, I bet humidity effects it. Cut him some slack people, he's not a Soderling, God forbid.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 05:10 PM »

Boogers I'm not sure at all that he came out expecting a quick win.  On the contrary as others have noted, he said he felt inexplicably nervous.  He couldn't really explain why and said it happens sometimes. But I can understand it very well - you don't want to go out to a giant-killing qualifier.
The Sky comms were rather more positive about Andy's play than many on MW have been.  And Andy himself was first to criticise himself for being tentative for a while.  
Hey, sorry it was your turn to miss it bbh.  Hope you'll be able to watch tomorrow and, fingers crossed, Sunday.  hug
And just read your last post, which crossed mine and v much agree.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 05:12 PM »

Ruthie wave
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray dispatches mini-Hewitt « Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 05:34 PM »

:
Boogers I'm not sure at all that he came out expecting a quick win.  On the contrary as others have noted, he said he felt inexplicably nervous.  He couldn't really explain why and said it happens sometimes. But I can understand it very well - you don't want to go out to a giant-killing qualifier.
The Sky comms were rather more positive about Andy's play than many on MW have been.  And Andy himself was first to criticise himself for being tentative for a while. 
Hey, sorry it was your turn to miss it bbh.  Hope you'll be able to watch tomorrow and, fingers crossed, Sunday.  hug
And just read your last post, which crossed mine and v much agree.
Well said Ruthie, it takes time to acclimatise, yesterday he played indoors, roof over because of rain and today it was open. He will be fine tomorrow, will be more used to the conditions, and I'm sure got the potential banana skin behind him he will feel more comfortable against Kei. He will have seen more of him, and will be aware of what BG will have said to him. There is quite a difference between hearing what to expect and actually playing against the shots. I have a feeling we will see a more aggressive Andy, playing all his shots in the book. More like the play we saw last week in the semi's and final. yay cmon yeah
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »