Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray disposes of rueful Tomic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray disposes of rueful Tomic

(Read 1166 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « on: March 23, 2013, 08:30 PM »

Andy Murray faced few problems in his opening match of the Sony Open Tennis tournament, seeing off Bernard Tomic with a routine 6-3, 6-1 victory.

It was a solid performance from the Brit who started slow but finished strong; reeling off 10 of the last 12 games to breeze into the third round against an opponent who lacked any real fight or grit.

The second seed found himself in danger early on, having to fend off a handful of break points in the fourth game as he tried to work his way into the match. But after a passive start it was Murray who secured the first break, aided somewhat by four consecutive errors from the Aussie.

Tomic was struggling to keep the ball in play, and as Murray began to get into his stride he broke again for the first set; a perplexed Tomic netting on set point, bringing his unforced error count in to the 20’s.

Read more (118 words)
The Aussie number one was struggling to cause the Scot any real problems and at 2-1 he found himself in more trouble. A missed overhead that caught the net cord appeared to throw his concentration, and he followed that with a double fault before netting to gift the second seed the break.

A relaxed Murray was now in complete control and a couple of aces helped him to 4-1, before breaking again, with Tomic looking totally uninterested. And he sealed it with his eighth ace, booking his place in round three after just 56 minutes.

Next up for Murray is the high-flying Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov, who the Brit defeated 7-6, 6-4 in the Brisbane final earlier this year.
[ Last edit by Mark March 23, 2013, 08:50 PM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 08:39 PM »

That was quick work!Fitting,considering the match was too Very Happy
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 08:40 PM »

Good win for Andy, but diabolical stuff from Tomic. 

At least Andy didn't have to break much of a sweat, and he kept his focus well while the train-wreck was unfolding over the other side of the net.

Dimitrov should be either hot or cold.

Thanks for the report, MH.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 08:43 PM »

Thanks for the report MH. Great that Andy got the easy win, but it could not have been easy playing such a strange opponent, glad Andy kept his focus.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:04 PM »

Absolutely disgraceful performance from Tomic. Fair play to Murray though - he did exactly what he needed to do.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 09:05 PM »

Thanks for the report Luke.  Not much anyone can say about a match like that!  It wasn't a satisfying one to watch and it's debatable how much satisfaction Andy got from playing it.  He probably gets more excitement on the practice court.  Good to see him maintaining his focus though after a shaky start.  Impressive serving from Andy too.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 09:06 PM »

Blink and u missed it....makes a nice change say I....Wink
Ta 4 report.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 09:40 PM »

Well that was uneventful! Can't say I'm bothered, don't like Tomic. Do like Andy's next opponent though, the current Mr Sharapova. Hope he puts up a good fight against Andy.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:41 PM »

Good report you penned out from a quick and dirty match.  Thanks Luke!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 02:03 AM »

From The Guardian -

Murray knew he had not played anywhere near his peak but it was a job done satisfactorily.
He told Sky Sports: "No matter how you start your match you need to make your opponent work hard.
I didn't hit it unbelievable today but I worked hard. Once I got the breakthrough he made mistakes.
But it is unbelievably hot and windy."

Training in Florida was an aid to Murray, who added: "It's tough to feel comfortable, maybe more for my
opponent because I am used to the court and the wind and the humidity."

And from BBC 5 Live -

Once I got ahead, I played consistently.  I served pretty well and didn't give him too
many opportunities.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 08:41 AM »

Thanks for the good report. I wish Tomic wouldn't come out with the excuse of having Flu, if he had flu he wouldn't have been able to get to the court. If it was a cold no evidence as he wan't sniffing or spluttering. When Andy had a virus in Tokyo and Shanghai it was very noticeble as he was coughing and having difficulty getting his breath. As far as I could see once Tomic didn't break Andy's serve he gave up and didn't even run to get some of the shots. I'm sure the players will have noticed his lack of effort as will the coaches. Pat Rafter won't be too pleased.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 02:21 PM »

Thanks for the good report. I wish Tomic wouldn't come out with the excuse of having Flu, if he had flu he wouldn't have been able to get to the court. If it was a cold no evidence as he wan't sniffing or spluttering. When Andy had a virus in Tokyo and Shanghai it was very noticeble as he was coughing and having difficulty getting his breath. As far as I could see once Tomic didn't break Andy's serve he gave up and didn't even run to get some of the shots. I'm sure the players will have noticed his lack of effort as will the coaches. Pat Rafter won't be too pleased.
  Thought Andy walked a nice line between diplomacy and disdain in his pc - favourable  comments about his opponents power and tennis IQ, but generally dismissive of his fitness and movement.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 02:58 PM »

Nicely done, Andy.  Thanks MH. 
I thought some excellent shots by Andy & as said already above, he did what he needed to do.  Well done.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 07:01 PM »

Sounds like I didn't miss much but glad it was an easy win and that Andy didn't have to expend too much energy.  I know a tougher match might have been useful in some ways but if it was as hot and humid as he suggests, then to get off court quickly can't be a bad thing even if he's used to such conditions.  I don't buy the flu excuse.  If you have genuine flu you'd not be able even to start a match.  OK he may have been feeling off colour but sounds like a convenient excuse for a lacklustre performance to me.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray disposes of rueful Tomic « Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 07:23 PM »

Sounds like I didn't miss much but glad it was an easy win and that Andy didn't have to expend too much energy.  I know a tougher match might have been useful in some ways but if it was as hot and humid as he suggests, then to get off court quickly can't be a bad thing even if he's used to such conditions.  I don't buy the flu excuse.  If you have genuine flu you'd not be able even to start a match.  OK he may have been feeling off colour but sounds like a convenient excuse for a lacklustre performance to me.

Tomic looked remarkably healthy for somebody supposedly suffering from flu.  Also most players can feel off-colour but at least try to make a fist of things.  Andy's slow, nervy start was fair game but Tomic failed to take advantage of it, and things just seemed to go downhill after that.  I don't blame the spectators for whistling and booing.  I felt cheated too because I'd been expecting something better, but at least it hadn't cost me anything.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »