Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray eases through Toronto opener 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray eases through Toronto opener

(Read 1303 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Murray eases through Toronto opener « on: August 08, 2012, 09:37 PM »

Olympic champion Andy Murray wasted no time in returning to competitive action, defeating Flavio Cipolla of Italy in the second round of the Rogers Cup, 6-1, 6-3.

The Briton had just one day to enjoy his Olympic triumph before jetting out to Canada on Tuesday. In spite of the extreme lack of practice on the hard court surface he made short work of the world number 96, winning through in 82 minutes with four breaks of serve.

Murray broke serve in the second game of the match and depite facing three break points in the next game, he was able to hold on to his serve for a 3-0 lead. The serve was not firing as well as it had in the Olympics, but he continued to hold out and after breaking again at 5-1, the Scot served it out with a couple of aces to take the opening set 6-1. From this point on the result never looked in danger and after squandering break points in the third game of the second set, he eventually found a way through in the fifth. Murray then broke again at 5-3 to secure the victory and his place in round three.

The world number four's response to break points was a key factor in his demolition of Federer just three days previous and once again he was supreme in the vital points. Despite serving at just 50% and facing six break points Murray didn't get broken once, whilst taking four of his nine break point opportunities.

Next up for the Brit is the 16th seed and home favourite Milos Raonic. The 21 year old defeated Murray in their only previous encounter, winning 6-4, 7-6 (3) in Barcelona earlier this year.
[ Last edit by Mark August 08, 2012, 11:23 PM ] IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray eases into third round in Toronto « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39 PM »

Just walked in the door so I missed the match, but it looks like it was straightforward. Looking forward to Andy and Milos!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray eases into third round in Toronto « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:01 PM »

I thought Andy played very well considering he was only recently off a trans-atlantic flight and he said in post match interview he's hardly slept since Sunday.  Looked like he's still on a bit of a high.  There was a bit of ragged play but he played much better than I'd expected. And how lovely that they presented him with a chocolate cake with a gold medal on it.  Looked like he was enjoying it!
The only worry is the knee but he said it was just the effect of having to change surfaces so quickly and he didn't seem too worried by it and it didn't seem to cause too much difficulty once the physio had massaged it;
I don't think we should expect too much tomorrow and in some ways it might be better if he went out and had a chance to rest before Cinci. Interesting that so many other seeds have already fallen by the wayside after the Olympics - I wonder how Nole will do.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray eases into third round in Toronto « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 10:23 PM »

i think we can be proud to be Andy fans he obviously is so tired and burnt out yet he shows up and gives 100% effort whereas others tank out or withdraw.  i dont think anyone is expecting too much this week, but I'll tell u one thing andy didnt show up to make up numbers he came to win, and I think he will bt Milos - i just hope if Andy has a good run here he considers his participation in Cincy very seriously.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray eases through Toronto Opener « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:38 PM »

Yet another nice report from TMH.

Thanks.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray eases through Toronto opener « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:02 AM »

Missed the match, so thanks to TMH for another very good report.

I thought Andy played very well considering he was only recently off a trans-atlantic flight and he said in post match interview he's hardly slept since Sunday.  Looked like he's still on a bit of a high.  There was a bit of ragged play but he played much better than I'd expected. And how lovely that they presented him with a chocolate cake with a gold medal on it.  Looked like he was enjoying it!
The only worry is the knee but he said it was just the effect of having to change surfaces so quickly and he didn't seem too worried by it and it didn't seem to cause too much difficulty once the physio had massaged it;
I don't think we should expect too much tomorrow and in some ways it might be better if he went out and had a chance to rest before Cinci. Interesting that so many other seeds have already fallen by the wayside after the Olympics - I wonder how Nole will do.
Interesting to read your post too, Ruthie.  I'm glad that Andy acquitted himself so well in the circumstances.  The poor man must have been playing in a daze and it doesn't surprise me he's had so little sleep.  I like the idea of the choc cake - a lovely touch by the tournament organisers and one which Andy would certainly appreciate.

Such a shame he has that problem with his knee, yet he never complains about it, but he's said before that it doesn't take kindly to a sudden change in surface.  Fortunately it seems to be well-managed by his team.

Raonic will be tricky, but Andy's motto surely must be "I'm in it to win it".  If he loses it won't be for want of trying - more like events having finally caught up with him. 

IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray eases through Toronto opener « Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 05:22 AM »

Good job, Andy -- yay
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray eases through Toronto opener « Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 06:08 AM »

Well done Andy but hope he loses here and gets some free time with Ivan
Still on cloud 9 tender
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: Murray eases through Toronto opener « Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:00 AM »

Missed the match, so thanks to TMH for another very good report.

Interesting to read your post too, Ruthie.  I'm glad that Andy acquitted himself so well in the circumstances.  The poor man must have been playing in a daze and it doesn't surprise me he's had so little sleep.  I like the idea of the choc cake - a lovely touch by the tournament organisers and one which Andy would certainly appreciate.

Such a shame he has that problem with his knee, yet he never complains about it, but he's said before that it doesn't take kindly to a sudden change in surface.  Fortunately it seems to be well-managed by his team.

Raonic will be tricky, but Andy's motto surely must be "I'm in it to win it".  If he loses it won't be for want of trying - more like events having finally caught up with him. 

Can't say more than what you have just posted Aileen. Must say i was surprised to see our Andy had even managed to turn up for his second round match. Andy is obviously full of confidence and belief right now, so in a way it makes sense to try and capitalise on the momentum he has built up enroute to becoming a double Olympic medalist: Olympic tennis singles champion and mixed doubles silver medalist.  If Andy is not worried about his knee then neither will i worry. While his forth coming match against Milos will be a tough one, its one i know he can win like he says "i'm in it to win it". And if he does manage to win this tourney, points wise he will pull further ahead of that chasing pack behind him and close the gap on that Number 3 spot. So a very good oppurtunity here for Andy. Conversely if things don't go his way, then at least he'll get some well earned rest before Cinci - even if it was not planned. Good Job Andy. Now go get that Canadian Boy.............. cmon yeah
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: Murray eases through Toronto opener « Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 07:04 AM »

Hey Nigel only just noticed the Gold Medal on the MurraysWorld banner, looks great, perhaps a picture of our Andy wearing the Union Flag would also be a nice touch?
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray eases through Toronto opener « Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 07:07 AM »

I really hope Andy will be completely fit to play Cincinatti...God, he is putting in so much effort!!!!
All the best Andy....show Milos that he is playing against the Gold Medallist of Olympics!!!!!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray eases through Toronto opener « Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 07:58 AM »

Murray admits he's tired and hasn't slept very much. Still adjusting to the surface change.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray eases through Toronto opener « Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 08:39 AM »

Re the chocolate cake:  perhaps he wolfed down such a big slice because his fitness people wouldn't normally let him but they couldn't stop him while on court!
Btw have checked both Guardian and Independent websites and neither has a report of the match.  Have they forgotten there's a Master 1000 going on with an olympics gold medallist playing in it?  confused
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray eases through Toronto opener « Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 09:31 AM »

Re the chocolate cake:  perhaps he wolfed down such a big slice because his fitness people wouldn't normally let him but they couldn't stop him while on court!
Btw have checked both Guardian and Independent websites and neither has a report of the match.  Have they forgotten there's a Master 1000 going on with an olympics gold medallist playing in it?  confused

Sky sports app has a clip of the interview, with an Andy who looks like now he has found his smile, is working on consolidating it's use.  He sat there like a little boy, licking his chocolate covered fingers, whilst grinning. He was just so relaxed. We all know what a nice chap he is, but a more relaxed Mr M should help consolidate his relationship with the Great British Public.

There was a cute cartoon in one of the daily papers after his win, (yes sad person that I am I bought most of the newspapers after the victory). I don't know how to put it on here, otherwise I would. It amused me.
I won't watch tonight as a win or lose is fine by me. Winning brings him closer to pushing Nadal down to 3rd in the rankings, a loss gives him time to sleep and practice without stress.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray eases through Toronto opener « Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 10:53 AM »

Sky sports app has a clip of the interview, with an Andy who looks like now he has found his smile, is working on consolidating it's use.  He sat there like a little boy, licking his chocolate covered fingers, whilst grinning. He was just so relaxed. We all know what a nice chap he is, but a more relaxed Mr M should help consolidate his relationship with the Great British Public.

There was a cute cartoon in one of the daily papers after his win, (yes sad person that I am I bought most of the newspapers after the victory). I don't know how to put it on here, otherwise I would. It amused me.
I won't watch tonight as a win or lose is fine by me. Winning brings him closer to pushing Nadal down to 3rd in the rankings, a loss gives him time to sleep and practice without stress.
Not sad at all Masaka.  I rather wish I had now.  But as well as the papers I have delivered did go out and by a Telegraph as had been tipped off it had wonderful photos. And also bought International Herald Tribune on way to station in London as had Andy as its front page lead with another nice photo.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »