Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray eases past Heuberger 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray eases past Heuberger

(Read 1510 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray eases past Heuberger « on: October 05, 2005, 07:46 PM »

UPDATE: Andy Murray will take on Frenchman Gregory Carraz this evening.
- Live Scores!

Andy Murray has defeated Ivo Heuberger 6-4 6-4 to go through the second round of the Ethias Trophy challenger event.

Report from Sky News:
Seventh seed Andrew Murray claimed a 6-4 6-4 victory over Ivo Heuberger in the first round of the Ethias Trohy in Belgium.

The Briton, fresh from his maiden ATP tour final at last week's Thailand Open, is continuing his tennis education by competing on the Challenger Tour.

Murray claimed breaks in the first and fifth games to race into a 4-1 lead.

Heuberger responded with a break of his own on the seventh game, but Murray had enough in reserve to claim the opening set 6-4.

Murray broke in the fifth game of the second set and closed out the match 6-4 against an increasingly frustrated opponent.

The 18-year old now faces Frenchman Gregory Carraz in the second round.

Related:
- Ethias Trophy: Order of Play
- Ethias Trophy: Main Draw
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Murray eases past Heuberger « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:21 PM »

Sounds like it was a pretty good match for Andy, given how he must have been feeling.   Smile  It's frustrating not being able to see him play - but I guess we'll have all that to look forward to in the future when he's finally up where he belongs with the big boys.  What's the opinion on the Madrid Masters.  Does anyone think he'll try to qualify?
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Elly « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 09:42 PM »

I personally think he was wasting his time entering the Mons competition and should have rested and tried for wild cards or qualifying for the Kremlin Cup, or the Stockholm Open. Many more points available there.

He should now rest next week and go for the qualification into the Madrid Masters, but of course cannot get a wild card now!

If knocked out early at Mons, he can still change and try for the former competitions.

Who knows what's going through his mind!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

David « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 10:11 PM »

I've been trying to follow the logic in the decision to enter Mons too.  Perhaps Andy's camp feel it's important for him to ground himself after the Thailand Open.  It would have been easy for him to get carried away with his success there.  At first I thought along exactly the same lines as you.. but maybe it's right for him to get back down to earth again for a spell.  Oh, who knows.  I just hope that it all goes right for him.  The general opinion seems to be that it will be a few years before we see him up there - but I don't know.  I have this feeling that there are more revelations to come from Mr. Murray before the year is out.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray eases past Heuberger « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 10:30 PM »

I also thought along the lines of what David just said, I would love to know the reasons why the murray camp persuaded him to do the tourny. I can only think it's to keep the momentum and for him to stay focused.
IP Logged
kundalini

Murray eases past Heuberger « Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 12:49 AM »

The rules do not allow Andy to enter Stockholm, Moscow or Vienna as he is already on the direct entry list for Sacramento Challenger.

These tournaments were not an option available to him.

Similarly, Madrid Masters is not an option for Andy as he is already on the direct entry list for Kolding Challenger that week. He is not allowed to withdraw from one tournament to enter another if he is on the direct entry list. If he were on the alernate list or the list for qualifying things would be different.

Andy planned to enter 5 Challengers on the assumption that he wouldn't be able to play Bangkok (wildcard assumed to go to Andy went to Hewitt), that he was too far down the list of alternates for Madrid and Paris Masters.

When Udomchoke got into the Bangkok draw directly when lots of players withdrew, it meant there was a free wildcard for Andy and his run to the final changed everything. However, they had already put his name down for 3 Challengers and the deadline date (3 weeks in advance) had passed. Therefore he was committed to these tournaments. His only option was to withdraw and take a week's rest.

For the final 2 challengers the deadline date had not passed so the direct entry lists have not appeared and Andy is free to play ATP Basel/St Petersberg and Paris Masters qualifying should he wish to.
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Good morning « Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 07:38 AM »

Similarly, Madrid Masters is not an option for Andy as he is already on the direct entry list for Kolding Challenger that week.

I presume that he could have accepted a wild card for the Madrid Masters then, as he applied for one and dropped out of any challenger?

Sounds like he didn't expect the result he got from Bangkok. In retrospect I think he would have planned differently.
IP Logged
kevster6969
Junior

High-flying Murray back in the small time « Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 11:35 AM »

another article on murray to be found here

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article317437.ece
IP Logged
kevster6969
Junior

Murray rolls a Swiss on much quieter stage « Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 11:41 AM »

And another article on his win in Mons

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/story/0,10069,1585965,00.html#article_continue
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

kevster « Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 12:16 PM »

Do we really need to see that picture?
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Murray eases past Heuberger « Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 12:24 PM »

David you have just echoed my thoughts.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: kevster « Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 12:38 PM »

Quote from: "David"
Do we really need to see that picture?

ditto Very Happy *averts eyes*
IP Logged
kevster6969
Junior

My Avatar « Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 01:03 PM »

Well seeing as so many are against my "Hardcore Andy Pic" i will endevour to change it
 Very Happy
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: My Avatar « Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 03:41 PM »

Quote from: "kevster6969"
Well seeing as so many are against my "Hardcore Andy Pic" i will endevour to change it
 Very Happy

cheers mdears Very Happy thats much better!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »