Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray eases past Mayer... again 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray eases past Mayer... again

(Read 1134 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Murray eases past Mayer... again « on: September 01, 2013, 09:37 PM »

Andy Murray overcame a slow start to defeat Florian Mayer – no relation of Leonardo - 7-6(2), 6-2, 6-2 in New York today.

The Brit seemed to be struggling with the conditions early on, but having stepped it up to take the first set on a tie-break he really came into his own, showing off his array of shots to move into the fourth round in impressive style. Murray hit 42 winners and wasn’t broken once, facing just the two break points all match.

A peculiar opening game saw three challenges, two over-rules and three breaks point for Murray – but the Brit was unable to take advantage, and Mayer eventually held.

Having survived that first game the German started to come into his own, and some heavy serving combined with clever net play enabled Mayer to hold onto his own service games with relative ease, allowing him the opportunity to have a go at Murray’s serve.

* MurrayFMayer-76-62-62 (2).jpg (67.94 KB. 634x410 - viewed 16865 times.)

The Brit seemed to be struggling to cope with the conditions and appeared quite lethargic, often looking like he was having problems drawing breath. Nonetheless he held firm, never really allowing Mayer a chance to break – despite only managing to find 33% of his first serves. And with neither player able to make much of an impression against the serve, the set drifted into a tie-break.

And it was the third seed that raised it up a notch, finally finding his first serve and racing through the tie-break courtesy of a couple of delightful forehands, taking it 7-2.

Murray carried this recent surge of form into the second set, breaking to 30 in Mayer’s first service game, having now won 19 of the last 24 points. The Brit was looking a lot more comfortable on Arthur Ashe court, starting to really unleash on the forehand side.

Mayer was struggling to make any form of impact on the Murray serve and found himself in more trouble when serving to stay in the set, going down 0-30. The German got it back to 30-30, but a stunning return winner from Murray on the stretch seemed to deflate him and he handed over the set with an unforced error.

The defending champion was now in complete control and there was little Mayer could do to trouble him. A couple of stunning winners at 2-1 saw Murray to more break points before another emphatic return earned him a 3-1 lead. The German was now fading quickly and Murray had more break points at 4-1, but this time Mayer was able to find his first serve to avoid the double break.

There was a slight scare for Murray in his next game as he went break point down, but the Brit responded in typical Murray fashion to fend off the danger. And as in the second set he really stepped it up at 5-2, showing off his deft touch with a beautiful flicked winner round the net before sealing the victory after Mayer netted.

Murray will now take on Denis Istomin in the fourth round as he looks to make his 11th successive quarter-final at grand slam level. The Uzbekistani has taken out the 15th seed Nicolas Almagro and the 20th seed Andreas Seppi to get to this stage.

[ Last edit by TheMadHatter September 01, 2013, 10:11 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray eases past Mayer.. again « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 10:03 PM »

Just finished watching it on PVR.

Andy looked absolutely knackered, but the end result was never in doubt.

Playing like a Solid Champ.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray eases past Mayer.. again « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:06 PM »

It looks like he has also qualified for the WTF's now as well, after Kneedal and  Djokovic.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:13 PM »

great report and so quick - thanks Luke.
I did wonder whether his back was stiff in 1st set but he says that when it is, it eases out as he plays and that did seem to happen by the time he got to the tie break and started serving better.  It felt like he left the stiff, lethargic Andy Murray in the loo when he went off for the toilet break and replaced him with Mr Magic.  yay yay yay

And Istomin next - has Andy played him before?  I don't have any recollection of him having done so.  confused
[ Last edit by Ruthie September 01, 2013, 10:22 PM ] IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 10:24 PM »

Thanks for a detailed report Luke. You didnt miss a trick. Now we know its Istomin next up!
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 10:25 PM »

great report and so quick - thanks Luke.
I did wonder whether his back was stiff in 1st set but he says that when it is, it eases out as he plays and that did seem to happen by the time he got to the tie break and started serving better.  It felt like he left the stiff, lethargic Andy Murray in the loo when he went off for the toilet break and replaced him with Mr Magic.  yay yay yay

And Istomin next - has Andy played him before?  I don't have any recollection of him having done so.  confused
Andy beat him in Brisbane this year - straight sets
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:41 PM »

Great report Luke. That was fast!

I wondered if Andy had a bit of a talk to himself in the loo, because he was a different man after the first set, but then again maybe should have been prepared for a bit of a tight start. That FSP in the first set though - ouch! It was good of his serve to join us in the tie-break Smile.

I just think Andy was trying to figure the wind out, as well as the opponent, who he has never played on hard before. The conditions were described as brutal too, so it was tough in the beginning.

The other thing is that Andy has played three very different opponents. Llodra is old school really. Leo Mayer belts the hell out of the ball. Florian Mayer is really unpredictable. Given all of that, plus playing in different conditions each time, including different times of day, I'd imagine getting into a rhythm is tough. Andy has done well from that point of view.

I just think he was awesome in the second and third sets, really magical. I love watching him play like that. It's really something.

I don't want to tempt fate, but I'm starting to get a feeling that if he can continue to find his best level, he might be very tough to stop. He's got that look about him.

The funny thing is that Djokovic had exactly the same scoreline in his last match.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:55 PM »

Playing such different type opponents in all different conditions can only be beneficial in preparing for anything that lies ahead. I didn't manage to ee any of this match other than the last game (well if you only see one game ...) but have heard nothing but high praise for Andy's play in sets 2 and 3. As for first set - Andy often takes his time to get his head around opponents and conditions (which sounded brutal). Loved his joking about, telling folk to you tube his hitting of Lendl. Think he's pretty keen to remain the reigning US Open champ!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 11:05 PM »

Istomin was quite a cheeky boy at the net in Brisbane, played some pretty good stuff.

I haven't got a good memory. I just youtubed the highlights!
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 03:46 AM »

Nice article very detailed. Hope Andy gets a night match next where it will be humid but not as hot.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 07:01 AM »

Thanx for the report. clap
 Looks as if after the almost normal, Andy early slow start, Mr Magic showed up again yahooo
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 07:47 AM »

Murray will now take on Denis Istomin in the fourth round as he looks to make his 11th successive quarter-final at grand slam level.

Unfortunately Andy missed the French so this stat will never find its way into the official tennis records.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 08:05 AM »

A very good report, and Andy certainly showed his determination to win despite the humid and hot conditions and a tricky opponent.
I find it very difficult to understand the media, if we look at the opponents Andy has faced to those Nada, Nole and Fed have faced. No wonder they have won easily,also having the added help of the organisers of playing on AA and nowhere else. Once Andy is on a level playing field we will see how easily they get through their coming matches. Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 08:55 AM »

A very good report, and Andy certainly showed his determination to win despite the humid and hot conditions and a tricky opponent.
I find it very difficult to understand the media, if we look at the opponents Andy has faced to those Nada, Nole and Fed have faced. No wonder they have won easily,also having the added help of the organisers of playing on AA and nowhere else. Once Andy is on a level playing field we will see how easily they get through their coming matches. Whistle

Exactly.

To be honest I think Andy has won easily enough. Sure, it took him a little while to subdue Leo Mayer, but I think you can almost discount anything he does on Armstrong providing he wins. Andy hates Armstrong, it makes him nervous and that has a bearing on his tennis, but as long as he gets through its fine and dandy.

Andy has played three very different opponents on two different courts (I will flip if he has to play on Armstrong again this year) and in different conditions. It's almost like the organisers have tried to make it hard. On the other hand, the others three have played no one who could threaten, even allowing for Dodig putting up a bit of a fight against Nadal. The amount of night matches they have played compared to Andy strikes me as unfair as well.

I just think the media gets carried away. Andy looks in great form to me.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray eases past Mayer... again « Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 09:07 AM »

Exactly.

To be honest I think Andy has won easily enough. Sure, it took him a little while to subdue Leo Mayer, but I think you can almost discount anything he does on Armstrong providing he wins. Andy hates Armstrong, it makes him nervous and that has a bearing on his tennis, but as long as he gets through its fine and dandy.

Andy has played three very different opponents on two different courts (I will flip if he has to play on Armstrong again this year) and in different conditions. It's almost like the organisers have tried to make it hard. On the other hand, the others three have played no one who could threaten, even allowing for Dodig putting up a bit of a fight against Nadal. The amount of night matches they have played compared to Andy strikes me as unfair as well.

I just think the media gets carried away. Andy looks in great form to me.

Night match count:

Djokovic: 2 (Berankis, Sousa)
Nadal: 2 (Harrison, Dutra Silva)
Federer: 1 (Mannarino)
Murray: 1 (Llodra)

There isn't much difference.

PS: You have also proven my point, you complained heavily about the timing of the Llodra match, saying it should have been a day match, now you are complaining about the amount of night matches Andy has had. It was inevitable it would happen, so thank you for proving me right.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »