Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray eases to victory over Youzhny 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray eases to victory over Youzhny

(Read 640 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « on: August 14, 2013, 06:27 PM »

Andy Murray has advanced to the third round of the Cincinnati Masters with a comfortable 6-2, 6-3 win over Mikhail Youzhny.

Compared to last week in Montreal, this was an altogether sharper Murray. He played very solid and efficient tennis throughout, breaking Youzhny a total of five times and only conceding serve once.

Youzhny made an inauspicious start to the match, serving up two double faults and dropping serve with a netted backhand. Taking advantage of the Russian’s increasingly error-prone tennis, Murray raced to a double break advantage.

* murray_2643192b.jpg (51.56 KB. 620x387 - viewed 9131 times.)

The world number 25 displayed more proactive, aggressive tennis in the next game, earning himself a break point opportunity but Murray held serve with good play including a well-struck forehand down the line followed by a smash.

Murray claimed the first set with strong serving; a 128 MPH ace brought up a set point, which he converted with another impressive delivery.

The world number 2 was able to put pressure on the Russian straight away in the second set, breaking serve after an excellent crosscourt backhand return forced a sliced backhand approach which slipped over the baseline.

With Youzhny serving at 1-3, Murray gained another chance to break after Youzhny hit his sixth double fault of the match. As the Russian’s forehand fell wide of the tramlines, the world number 2 broke again.

Although Youzhny broke back in the next game, his fightback was shortlived. Murray broke again as the Russian served to stay in the match, claiming a comfortable victory in one hour and ten minutes.

Murray will play Frenchman Julien Benneteau in the third round, who yesterday beat Radek Stepanek in three sets.

[ Last edit by Katie August 15, 2013, 01:30 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:37 PM »

A good, efficient, report Katie - thanks! Good to see Andy playing such a solid and intelligent match - with plenty more gears to move up.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 06:46 PM »

jumping-w00t
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Nice one Katie! Informative and I liked the touch with the photo :-)
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:06 PM »

Great game .His interview after the game was great to watch,very confident and relaxed.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:29 PM »

Thanks, Katie. Solid and intelligent. Just like Andy today.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 07:56 PM »

Great game .His interview after the game was great to watch,very confident and relaxed.
Totally agree. Another very good match report, Katie, thanks.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 08:26 PM »

Very good report Katie.  Andy certainly seems to have benefited from his doubles matches in Montreal, which is encouraging to see.

I'm still waiting to see an interview, which hopefully someone will post on here, because TennisTV only show on-court interviews, and then usually from the QF onwards.

[ Last edit by Aileen August 14, 2013, 08:33 PM ] IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:48 PM »

Very good report Katie.  Andy certainly seems to have benefited from his doubles matches in Montreal, which is encouraging to see.

I'm still waiting to see an interview, which hopefully someone will post on here, because TennisTV only show on-court interviews, and then usually from the QF onwards.

Try SportLemon next time, Aileen.    They do pre and post interviews.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:14 PM »

I found the Sky one on their website Aileen http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8870377/murray-eases-past-youzhny
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 10:28 PM »

Try SportLemon next time, Aileen.    They do pre and post interviews.
Thanks for the info.  I'll try that.

Thanks for posting that one.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 11:16 PM »

Nice one Katie! Informative and I liked the touch with the photo :-)
  Yes - excellent photo. Andy's racket looks just like a blade. Fits perfectly with the Fiverings philosophy!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 07:35 AM »

Good match report Katie......liked the pic too, so thanks for that! Thanks for posting the link ScotJules.....I missed it too, so much appreciated!
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 08:42 AM »

Nice Katie.  Well done, Andy!
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray eases to victory over Youzhny « Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 10:23 AM »

Great report Katie, exactly how I saw it!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »