Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray edged out in five-set thriller 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray edged out in five-set thriller

(Read 6044 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #135 on: January 28, 2012, 09:54 PM »

It's because you are usually so positive that it is hard to understand your take on this one Nigel but - hey ho- you're just as entitiled to your opinion as any of the rest of us.  It's a little ironic that this time you seem to be taking a different tack to every journo out there though - perhaps it's just in your makeup to play devil's advocate - don't take it to heart!

Steve Tignor, who I rate as the best of the best, agreed with me.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #136 on: January 28, 2012, 09:55 PM »

I would rather that Andy didn't play Dubai and went straight to Miami to spend time training with Lendl after the DC.  He would probably have to take a hit on the points but I can't help but think that a long training session with Lendl must be more beneficial than trugging half way across the world and back for one tournament.
[ Last edit by Alis January 28, 2012, 10:08 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #137 on: January 28, 2012, 09:58 PM »

And Rafa said:

"You cannot start the fourth set like this. It's the moment to play with more intensity than ever, not start with 3-0 down and two breaks in five minutes. That way you lose the match."
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #138 on: January 28, 2012, 09:59 PM »

Sorry I don't agree that Nigel's report was one of the most negative on the site and I also don't agree that just because people express a different opinion to yours makes them "negative" and "moaners".     We are all Andy fans at the end of the day and laying into someone just because they dare to say Andy isn't perfect and could have done better is akin to bullying.

I was not having a go at Nigel exclusively nor was I saying he is not entitled to his opinion, but expressing my disappointment with some negativity on this site (cant see the world moaners anywhere) does not make me a bully!
Andy did not play a perfect match but then neither did Novak and that was my point. I am and always will be an Andy fan win or loose and I know the same goes for Nigel.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #139 on: January 28, 2012, 10:02 PM »

Coincidentally, Steve Tignor's match report had almost identical sentiments to mine. (And he published it after mine. Honest, guv.) I made all these points in my report:

'For a good three hours, the semifinal between Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray here was, to put it bluntly, a mess. Both players were fighting themselves as much as the guy across the net. Djokovic was battling his body, his nose, his allergies, his nerves. He was trying, with intermittent success, to settle down and let the athleticism flow like it had last year. It took him until the fourth set to shed all of his burdens and start looking like the best player in the world again.

As for Murray, he was fighting against his instincts toward safety and counter-punching, while trying his best to implement the more aggressive game plan that new coach Ivan Lendl wanted him to use. It made for a match that neither guy seemed prepared to step up and grab.'

Here's the full text:

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/01/some-pain-some-gain.html
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #140 on: January 28, 2012, 10:02 PM »

Steve Tignor, who I rate as the best of the best, agreed with me.

Yes, I did read that comment Nigel but Tignor also seems to be a voice crying in the wilderness.  Even the die-hard ex-tennis pros seem to be coming out on the side of the match being an 'epic' and Andy having taken a giant step!  Maybe you're right and at the end of the day the AO will just be a ripple on the pond as far as Andy is concerned and we'll all go back to biting our finger nails and waiting for better things.  I for one am quite happy to wallow in a warm bath of rekindled hope until the next GS.
IP Logged
sengamac
Challenger Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #141 on: January 28, 2012, 10:04 PM »

Cheers. Yep, I wouldn't say my match report was negative. I tried to reflect the common view and to convey some of the excitement that I did actually feel. Some of my comments in this thread might have been a little negative, however.

My reservations were that a) four-fifths of the match was fairly forgettable (86 UEs from Andy) b) I'm not sure it would have been that close had it been the final, and c) I'm still shocked about that 4th set. That was the time to break your body going for the jugular - Nadal would have, Fed would have and Novak would have.

But I'm usually pretty positive about Andy. So don't give me a hard time.

I won't give you a hard time Nigel.  Like you I'm 100 per cent an Andy fan but as far as I'm concerned that doesn't mean I have to go into raptures every time he plays.   He did put up a hell of a fight but he lost the match in the 4th set not the 5th and I don't see anything wrong in saying that.   I'm not "negative" nor a "moaner" he is improving but there is still a way to go and I'm as entitled to my opinion as anyone else on here without being told to go and be a Novak/Rafa/Federer fan if I can't worship at Andy's feet.   Your report was excellent as usual and I look forward to reading many more. Very Happy
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #142 on: January 28, 2012, 10:05 PM »

I was not having a go at Nigel exclusively nor was I saying he is not entitled to his opinion, but expressing my disappointment with some negativity on this site (cant see the world moaners anywhere) does not make me a bully!
Andy did not play a perfect match but then neither did Novak and that was my point. I am and always will be an Andy fan win or loose and I know the same goes for Nigel.

I'm with you Tessie - no player ever plays the perfect match - it's impossible - particularly over 5 sets and 5 hours.  I think we'll just have to agree to differ on our perceptions of this one.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #143 on: January 28, 2012, 10:14 PM »

I won't give you a hard time Nigel.  Like you I'm 100 per cent an Andy fan but as far as I'm concerned that doesn't mean I have to go into raptures every time he plays.   He did put up a hell of a fight but he lost the match in the 4th set not the 5th and I don't see anything wrong in saying that.   I'm not "negative" nor a "moaner" he is improving but there is still a way to go and I'm as entitled to my opinion as anyone else on here without being told to go and be a Novak/Rafa/Federer fan if I can't worship at Andy's feet.   Your report was excellent as usual and I look forward to reading many more. Very Happy

I don't think I can be accused of negativity - I went on Five Live, shaking in my boots, to be positive about Andy on Thursday.

Constructively critical, maybe.

And not a classic match, but maybe an epic.
IP Logged
sengamac
Challenger Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #144 on: January 28, 2012, 10:19 PM »

Andy - from the post-match interview ...

"Yeah, it was tough at the end 'cause, you know, obviously you come back, then you get close to breaking.  To lose, yeah, it's tough."

"But a different player, a different attitude to this time last year.  Yeah, I'm proud of the way I fought."

yay  yay  yay
thumb up  This match truly was a great epic.  Djokovic wasn't exactly perfect.  Can't believe I was hearing the same old negativity from the usual moaners.  What sad people they are.  Must admit though I'm relieved Andy didn't win.  He isn't quite ready for a Slam yet, but getting very close.  We've seen noticeable improvements after only 3 weeks of working with Lendl, but Andy can only take a few steps at a time and this, after all, is only January! 

It was stated in the above from Aileen.  By the way I'm not sad either
IP Logged
sengamac
Challenger Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #145 on: January 28, 2012, 10:22 PM »

I don't think I can be accused of negativity - I went on Five Live, shaking in my boots, to be positive about Andy on Thursday.

Constructively critical, maybe.

And not a classic match, but maybe an epic.]

No you're definitely not negative.  Would agree the match was epic.

IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #146 on: January 28, 2012, 10:32 PM »

I'm with you Tessie - no player ever plays the perfect match - it's impossible - particularly over 5 sets and 5 hours.  I think we'll just have to agree to differ on our perceptions of this one.

Thanks Alis, Afraid I am now out of this stream because its beginning to feel personal.  Looking forward to Davis Cup (with or without Andy) See you during Dubai.
IP Logged
sengamac
Challenger Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #147 on: January 28, 2012, 11:22 PM »

Thanks Alis, Afraid I am now out of this stream because its beginning to feel personal.  Looking forward to Davis Cup (with or without Andy) See you during Dubai.

I was not being personal - you agreed with Aileen's opinion and I was stating mine that is all. My apologies if I upset you that was not my intention.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #148 on: January 28, 2012, 11:37 PM »

I so hope he plays in this.  I have quarter final and final tickets! 
That's fantastic.. to chances to watch him play then. cmon yeah
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #149 on: January 29, 2012, 03:40 AM »

Sorry.. I posted this on another thread, but thought is worthwhile to repeat because I feel pretty strongly about it:

Andy says it was adrenalin let-down (this is transcript of post match interview on AO website) :-

Q. It's a match of almost five hours. Novak said it was one of the hardest matches he ever played. How did you feel physically towards the end of the match?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, that's the thing. I actually felt okay towards the end. You know, I was tired. You have the huge adrenaline rush at the end of the third set. Then you have a bit of a letdown and things start aching and are sore.

Towards the end of the fifth set I was actually feeling okay because the adrenaline gets back up and everything feels all right.

I'm sure that when I stand up from this seat, my body's going to be pretty painful.
[/b]

If Andy recognisizes this is purely an adrenalin issue, then surely this is something concrete and can be addressed accordingly. 
It might not be (as some others put it) 'all in his head'... it might just simply be all in his chemicals.  If so.. then this is good news...easy to fix. If anyone has any experience of adrenaline letdown, please enlighten us as to how this feels. I don't have experience of it.. but the research I've done pretty much backs up what Andy said post-match.. and I do believe that young man is as honest as they come.  It also explains his amazing fight-back in the 5th set.
I would hope that Ivan will look at the humungous canvas of what makes up 'Andy' and help him step outside of himself to look dispassionately at his moments of weakness, but equally his moments of great strength.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »