Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray edged out in five-set thriller 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray edged out in five-set thriller  (Read 5339 times)
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #150 on: January 29, 2012, 05:45 AM »

The match was superb the only disappointing part that Murray should have gone on to win the fourth and not let Nole back in the match. So important to keep your momentum going.  It already shows the impact that Lendl has on Murray and as the weeks go on we will all see the improvement.

Have you seen the article on BBC Sports where Nadal states by the end of the year Murray will be NO 1 So he is seeing the improvement as well and says it is just the mental part of Andy's game and with Lendl there say no more.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #151 on: January 29, 2012, 05:47 AM »

I do not where you get the idea that Murray played Dubai last year, he did not. I should imagine he will head to Miami and meet up with Lendl there.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #152 on: January 29, 2012, 06:04 AM »

I do not where you get the idea that Murray played Dubai last year, he did not. I should imagine he will head to Miami and meet up with Lendl there.

Not sure where you read that but I did see this post, about this year.

Looking ahead folks, Andys next tournament (according to his website) is at the Barclays Dubai, 27 Feb. -3rd March.

From their site:
"The men’s draw will be finalised in the coming week, but a stellar line up including World number 1 and defending champion Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga are expected to battle it out for honours in 2012. Djokovic has been in blistering form and will be giving his all to win his fourth consecutive title here."

All thing being well, Andy will have a second chance to take down Djokovic, amongst other!
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #153 on: January 29, 2012, 11:02 AM »

Sorry.. I posted this on another thread, but thought is worthwhile to repeat because I feel pretty strongly about it:

If Andy recognisizes this is purely an adrenalin issue, then surely this is something concrete and can be addressed accordingly.  
It might not be (as some others put it) 'all in his head'... it might just simply be all in his chemicals.  If so.. then this is good news...easy to fix. If anyone has any experience of adrenaline letdown, please enlighten us as to how this feels. I don't have experience of it.. but the research I've done pretty much backs up what Andy said post-match.. and I do believe that young man is as honest as they come.  It also explains his amazing fight-back in the 5th set.
I would hope that Ivan will look at the humungous canvas of what makes up 'Andy' and help him step outside of himself to look dispassionately at his moments of weakness, but equally his moments of great strength.

When you point this out, it's plausable that is very much a biochemical issue. In which case he will need to find a way to compensate for physiological disturbances. I dont know what that might be other than to be in complete controll of the match all the time.

Two hormones, adrenaline and noradrenaline have profound effects on the body. The fight or flight response is well known. Both are stress hormones and neurotransmitters. Noradrenaline in particular affects attention and stimulates the brains' emotional and cognitive areas; which is why it's all too simplistic to tell Andy just focus and dont go walk-about. Many have suggested (on this thread) he consciously and simply decides to relax when he gets a set in front.  I think it's much more complexed than that.

The body's biochemistry is different for every individual and cannot be fully controlled by will. He cerainly needs to explain that 4th set slump. Can this be a clue?
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #154 on: January 29, 2012, 12:43 PM »

If you look on thi website under schedule you will see he did not play last year, he was a very unhappy person having lost the final again to Nole.

Differnt now.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #155 on: January 29, 2012, 03:28 PM »

I haven't seen anyone state that he played Dubai in 2011, maybe you have misunderstood?

The Barclays Dubai site states that Andy (amongst others) has confirmed his particiption this year. Smile

IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #156 on: January 29, 2012, 03:33 PM »

Look who won the final then. Amazing Djoko managed that, duration was 5 hrs 15 mins.
IP Logged
deb
ATP Level

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #157 on: January 29, 2012, 03:38 PM »

Look who won the final then. Amazing Djoko managed that, duration was 5 hrs 15 mins.
Yes and Andy had worn him out and Nadal still didn't win ' just shows how well Andy played in my opinion  !!
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #158 on: January 29, 2012, 03:45 PM »

Many have suggested (on this thread) he consciously and simply decides to relax when he gets a set in front.  I think it's much more complexed than that.

I don't think it is something 'he consciously and simply decides' to do.
 I think it is an automatic reaction which can cause a player to momentarily relax and lose focus - and a good opponent can step up and seize upon this moment of vulnerability. The momentum can very quickly get away from you.

IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #159 on: January 29, 2012, 04:33 PM »

Yes and Andy had worn him out and Nadal still didn't win ' just shows how well Andy played in my opinion  !!
Good posting!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #160 on: January 29, 2012, 04:36 PM »

Part of me feels proud that Andy pushed the eventual champion so far and before he'd been worn out.  But part of me thinks lord if Nole can win a  6 hour match after being pushed so far by Andy what hope is there for anyone else to beat him?  That said even though Rafa really pushed him today I do think Andy has worked out better than Rafa has how to play Nole and I suspect if Andy hadn't pushed Nole so far in the SF he would have beaten Rafa more easily. 
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #161 on: January 29, 2012, 04:48 PM »

Part of me feels proud that Andy pushed the eventual champion so far and before he'd been worn out.  But part of me thinks lord if Nole can win a  6 hour match after being pushed so far by Andy what hope is there for anyone else to beat him?  That said even though Rafa really pushed him today I do think Andy has worked out better than Rafa has how to play Nole and I suspect if Andy hadn't pushed Nole so far in the SF he would have beaten Rafa more easily.  
You have a good point there Ruthie. But I tell you what, Novak is off to a flying start, he's stuck off with 1st GS of 2012 and it's gonna be a helluva great player that can rope him in and bring him down in 2012. This will give him confidence that he  can somehow repeat  the full pot of 2011.

An amazing player!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #162 on: January 29, 2012, 04:51 PM »

You have a good point there Ruthie. But I tell you what, now Novak is off to a flying start and stuck off with 1st GS, it's gonna be a great player that can rope him in and bring him down in 2012. He's will help his confidence that he somehow can do a repeat of 2011.

An amazing player!
Yes I rather fear you're right lashurst.  But he'll also be aware that Andy is now on the move and who knows how his body will react to being pushed so far at AO given the problems he had with it last year.   Not sure I can cope with much more of that chest beating though however amazing he is!
IP Logged
deb
ATP Level

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #163 on: January 29, 2012, 05:08 PM »

You have a good point there Ruthie. But I tell you what, Novak is off to a flying start, he's stuck off with 1st GS of 2012 and it's gonna be a helluva great player that can rope him in and bring him down in 2012. This will give him confidence that he  can somehow repeat  the full pot of 2011.

An amazing player!
Yes I agree with you Lashurst and Ruthie, but also I would like to say Djoko beat Andy and Raffa last year more easily , and in the A.O. This year he had to fight for it, with such longer harder matches,so I think it will be much harder for him to do what he did last year, Andy will have him next time. And yes that chest beating is just so over the top hated it.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #164 on: January 29, 2012, 06:18 PM »

Epic SF and Final this year. I cannot wait to see what improvements Lendl will introduce in Andy's game come Roland Garros.

Nole and Andy are pretty much carbon copies of each other with the exception of mental strength. If Andy can work out the formula to beat Rafa in slams much like Nole has done on a regular basis then we will be seeing more GS final battles between Nole and Andy and if he knocks on the door enough times, it will open for him.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply