Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray edged out in five-set thriller 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray edged out in five-set thriller

(Read 5398 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #165 on: January 29, 2012, 06:30 PM »

'Scotland on Sunday' today quotes a comment from Andy the gist of which is that he has 10 days prior to Dubai when he intends to go to Miami to train with Lendl.  It sounds from that as though he is intending to play both Davis Cup and Dubai.  Davis Cup 10 -12th Feb and Dubai beginning 27th I think.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #166 on: January 29, 2012, 06:32 PM »

Epic SF and Final this year. I cannot wait to see what improvements Lendl will introduce in Andy's game come Roland Garros.

Nole and Andy are pretty much carbon copies of each other with the exception of mental strength. If Andy can work out the formula to beat Rafa in slams much like Nole has done on a regular basis then we will be seeing more GS final battles between Nole and Andy and if he knocks on the door enough times, it will open for him.

I think Rafa will find it very difficult to come back from this defeat.  Maybe he will take comfort from the fact that he came so close but somehow I doubt it.  If he doesn't win the French I think there is a distinct possibility that he may walk away altogether - he hates being on the road and how much more punishment can his body take?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #167 on: January 29, 2012, 06:49 PM »

Rafa is taking a positive view:

"So very happy for everything.  Very happy with my level during both weeks.  Is the moment when I realize the whole tournament did I well.  I did a lot of very positive things, much more than in 2011 for the most of the time. 

I played more aggressive.  I played with more winners than ever.  My serve worked well.  The mentality and the passion was there another time better than probably never another time. 

So that's very positive aspects on whole game that I am very happy, no?  So I just lost the final of a Grand Slam.  I am not happy to lose the final, yes, but that's one of the loses that I am more happy in my career".

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2012-01-30/201201291327853403275.html

IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #168 on: January 29, 2012, 09:20 PM »

I think Rafa will find it very difficult to come back from this defeat.  Maybe he will take comfort from the fact that he came so close but somehow I doubt it.  If he doesn't win the French I think there is a distinct possibility that he may walk away altogether - he hates being on the road and how much more punishment can his body take?

How close did he come when he dragged it on for 6 hours and still came off without the win with an opponent who was almost dead on his feet?
I agree with you if he loses FO he'll probably give it up. That's why he's taking Feb off, to make his last stand.
He's been on the road for over 10 years now despite being just 25.
The reality is Novak does a better version of Rafa than Rafa does.
But despite being often in the way of Andy I hope he does find a solution and I'm sure we would all miss him if he quit.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme January 29, 2012, 09:38 PM ] IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #169 on: January 29, 2012, 09:37 PM »

Epic SF and Final this year. I cannot wait to see what improvements Lendl will introduce in Andy's game come Roland Garros.

Nole and Andy are pretty much carbon copies of each other with the exception of mental strength. If Andy can work out the formula to beat Rafa in slams much like Nole has done on a regular basis then we will be seeing more GS final battles between Nole and Andy and if he knocks on the door enough times, it will open for him.

I agree that it always is Rafa standing in the way of Andy getting to slam finals, in a way it's a waste as Nadal just doesn't have what it takes to challenge Novak when he gets there. Andy however does, so I agree he is going to have to get past Rafa and that's why he has become much more aggressive since the off season.
But Novak and Andy are not entirely carbon copies of each other. Andy has a better court awareness and way more variety, can happily be arrhythmic in pace which is an anathema to Novak and so on. But they do have their key similarities also. It will be interesting to see how their respective strengths and weaknesses balance out their future matches together.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #170 on: January 29, 2012, 10:00 PM »

As you have quite rightly said, Rafa is the guy who mainly stood in Andy's way of reaching at least 2 Wimbledon finals, 1 French Open and 1 USO final in recent years. Surely had Andy managed to get to those 5 finals, surely he would have converted at least 1 or 2 final opportunities.

Ivan and Andy will make the neccessary adjustments to ensure that Andy won't let the next final opportunity to slip away. Starting at the French Smile
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #171 on: January 29, 2012, 10:29 PM »

As you have quite rightly said, Rafa is the guy who mainly stood in Andy's way of reaching at least 2 Wimbledon finals, 1 French Open and 1 USO final in recent years. Surely had Andy managed to get to those 5 finals, surely he would have converted at least 1 or 2 final opportunities.

Ivan and Andy will make the neccessary adjustments to ensure that Andy won't let the next final opportunity to slip away. Starting at the French Smile
clap
IP Logged
Big V

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #172 on: January 30, 2012, 12:30 AM »

I agree totally with the above. Andy and Nole have the best returns of serve in the game. That's one of the reasons the semi final looked so scrappy (but exciting).  Raffa could do little with Nole's serve most of the time and his was under constant pressure. Andy reads nole's game much better than Raffa does.  If Nole had taken the semi finals in straight sets, I suspect the same would have happened in the finals. The extra day and physical and mental marathon with Andy took it's toll.
Andy has proved he has game now! Get a good second serve and push harder when in the lead, and we'll see an exciting rivalry going forward.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #173 on: January 30, 2012, 10:15 AM »

We find further analysis by experts and quasi experts on the internet. Here's another, by Sergio Cruz, former Portugese #1 and coach to Jim Courier. Some interesting views here IMO but some poor comments too.:

http://www.tenniscruz.com/content/view/781/90/
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #174 on: January 30, 2012, 10:25 AM »

An ode to Andy from a fan, Teresa Joan Pound and posted on the Dunblane Diamonds Facebook:

Now had time to stop and think.
Emotions are in check.
Gonna bore you anyway.
At my age what the heck.

... Just a little ode to Andy,
from his loyal fans,
to say how much we love you
from this far and distant land..

For out of horror at Dunblane,
a town that suffered so much pain,
a child was born to rise again.

Will he know how much we care?
For all he's done and all he's dared.
A shy young man stepped on the stage,
with racquet in his hands.

We gawped in awe of this brash kid, as he began to grow.
Into the man he is today.
The man we've come to know.

Some say he's stubborn.
Others he,s brash.
Temper tantrums, mouthy trash.

Yet somehow he has touched our hearts,
As special people do,
To give us lifelong memories,
Joy that brings us to our knees.

In spite of all the "experts" you went and did your thing.
Even though quite often,
You were riding on the wings.

But now you are back on Centre Stage,
Right up there flying high.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes
you are reaching for the sky.

You bring back to that Dunblane town,
A time of joy from their dear boy,
To savour life again.

Some are born to touch our lives,
When we least expect it.
Andy you are one of them, We send our love accept it.
We share your tears,
we feel your pain,
This wonderous player from Dunblane

Brings a , it does, doesn't it?
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #175 on: January 30, 2012, 12:41 PM »

An ode to Andy from a fan, Teresa Joan Pound and posted on the Dunblane Diamonds Facebook:

Now had time to stop and think.
Emotions are in check.
Gonna bore you anyway.
At my age what the heck.

... Just a little ode to Andy,
from his loyal fans,
to say how much we love you
from this far and distant land..

For out of horror at Dunblane,
a town that suffered so much pain,
a child was born to rise again.

Will he know how much we care?
For all he's done and all he's dared.
A shy young man stepped on the stage,
with racquet in his hands.

We gawped in awe of this brash kid, as he began to grow.
Into the man he is today.
The man we've come to know.

Some say he's stubborn.
Others he,s brash.
Temper tantrums, mouthy trash.

Yet somehow he has touched our hearts,
As special people do,
To give us lifelong memories,
Joy that brings us to our knees.

In spite of all the "experts" you went and did your thing.
Even though quite often,
You were riding on the wings.

But now you are back on Centre Stage,
Right up there flying high.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes
you are reaching for the sky.

You bring back to that Dunblane town,
A time of joy from their dear boy,
To savour life again.

Some are born to touch our lives,
When we least expect it.
Andy you are one of them, We send our love accept it.
We share your tears,
we feel your pain,
This wonderous player from Dunblane

Brings a , it does, doesn't it?

oh it certainly does bring a tear. Not so sure I liked that article yes as you say Lashurst it has some valid points but a bit  :(cruel after such a huge improvement from Andy? 
[ Last edit by deb January 30, 2012, 12:53 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #176 on: January 30, 2012, 12:57 PM »

We find further analysis by experts and quasi experts on the internet. Here's another, by Sergio Cruz, former Portugese #1 and coach to Jim Courier. Some interesting views here IMO but some poor comments too.:

http://www.tenniscruz.com/content/view/781/90/

Yeah, Jim Courier, that well-known volleyer.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #177 on: January 30, 2012, 12:58 PM »

Mmmmm that article sounded rather misogynistic to me!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #178 on: January 30, 2012, 01:07 PM »

Yeah, Jim Courier, that well-known volleyer.
Yes exactly G.c.!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #179 on: January 30, 2012, 01:10 PM »

Mmmmm that article sounded rather misogynistic to me!
Ha your right Alis   roflmao roflmao there are lots of men like it !
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »