Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray edged out in five-set thriller 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray edged out in five-set thriller

(Read 6012 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #120 on: January 28, 2012, 05:45 PM »

Usually after Andy has been defeated I wake up the next morning feeling flat or even low.  This time was completely different.  It felt as if he'd won something yesterday - won the respect of many of those who have loved to put him down.  People like Boris Becker who are usually very critical but who I thought wrote a really fair report in D Tel - thanks Bev for posting it.  'Come of age' was exactly what I thought.  It feels almost as if Mr L has released what we all know Andy is capable of and perhaps Andy realised it would take someone like Mr L to do it hence his decision to ask him to be his coach.

OK he made mistakes but the important thing was that he didn't, as he has in the past, revert to his safety blanket.  He carried on playing higher risk tennis, which of course brought more unforced errors.  I had a read of the Times report while in Sainsburys and it was incredibly positive.  One thing struck me in particular was that it said he played with joy - as in the slam dunk which helped turn round the 2nd set.  OK he didn't look joyful much of the time - who would in such an intense, brutal match.  But that shot was joyful.  [I think someone is posting Times pieces on a thread somewhere so I hope they've managed to get this one as it is worth a read - in fact I'll go and check later as would like to read it again.]

So now I feel excited at the prospects of the coming season.  Just think what strides Andy might make now with Mr L at his side helping him with both the mental and physical side of the game.  And yes let's not forget the contribution Cahill has made as someone reminded us.  But it does feel like Andy has the mentor he needs in Mr L and that they are going to create the most amazing partnership.

Me too  well written .Ruthie.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #121 on: January 28, 2012, 06:49 PM »

Thank you Philip and Deb - from the heart!
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #122 on: January 28, 2012, 06:54 PM »

I think Andy's attitude throughout yesterday's match was extremely positive and it augurs well for the future. In particular, the long-term relationship with Ivan Lendl will pay dividends so long as Andy listens and puts into practice Ivan's comments and suggestions.

Andy has stated that his new coach is there for some time to come. Let's hope this is the case. Andy will be the ultimate beneficiary. In just three weeks together, a different Murray has emerged although it had already begun to gestate before Lendl came on board. Witness Andy's success over the far east three tournaments.

Once again, to remind everyone that Andy had predicted his best years would be between the ages of 23 and 26. Way to go!

Back to yesterday's match, it was not a classic, but my goodness it was exciting and nerve racking. This old man was fortunate in that he couldn't watch live due to business commitments as I probably would have ended dead on the floor with a heart attack 
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #123 on: January 28, 2012, 07:10 PM »

Looking ahead folks, Andys next tournament (according to his website) is at the Barclays Dubai, 27 Feb. -3rd March.

From their site:
"The men’s draw will be finalised in the coming week, but a stellar line up including World number 1 and defending champion Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga are expected to battle it out for honours in 2012. Djokovic has been in blistering form and will be giving his all to win his fourth consecutive title here."

All thing being well, Andy will have a second chance to take down Djokovic, amongst other!

IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #124 on: January 28, 2012, 07:23 PM »

Looking ahead folks, Andys next tournament (according to his website) is at the Barclays Dubai, 27 Feb. -3rd March.

From their site:
"The men’s draw will be finalised in the coming week, but a stellar line up including World number 1 and defending champion Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga are expected to battle it out for honours in 2012. Djokovic has been in blistering form and will be giving his all to win his fourth consecutive title here."

All thing being well, Andy will have a second chance to take down Djokovic, amongst other!

thanks  goodjob  Cant wait for Dubai Smile  yay  Andy will have learned from his previous  match and he will take down Novak in this tournament Smile  I can see Andy winning lots of titles in 2012.. USopen seems achievable . Im also quite interested to see Andy on the clay
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #125 on: January 28, 2012, 07:26 PM »

I've just managed to watch the whole match. Andy matched him shot for shot and played magnificently. There were two very crucial line calls right at the end which he was unable to challenge one of which the lob looked in and would havegiven him three break points at 5-5. That was unlucky but was he foolish to use up all his challenges so early in that set? I also agree with Nigel that the fourth set was pretty shocking. He should have been closing the match - its like he felt he had done enough to win the third and deserved a wee rest.All this adrenaline chat sounds like excuses to me.

Heart broken he lost .

John Lloyd on BBC website says Andy has now gone from a boy to a man. Barf.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #126 on: January 28, 2012, 08:13 PM »

I am Andy Murray and this gif of me is too fast for the human eye.
[ Last edit by Mark January 28, 2012, 08:23 PM ] IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #127 on: January 28, 2012, 08:16 PM »

From their site:

Oh thanks  Lashurst can't wait,  I think Andy will do very well to in the coming tournaments, he is going to go from strength to strength. yay
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #128 on: January 28, 2012, 08:36 PM »

Sorry Nigel, I may not be quite as up on tennis as you are, but I rate your report as one of the most negative I've ever read on this forum.  According to other reports I've read or heard, this was one of the best matches ever.  There was, after all, a great deal of sublime tennis in amongst the faults.

I agree that both players were struggling at times, and Andy should have capitalised on his tie-break win in the 3rd instead of losing his way in the 4th, but I'm prepared to forgive his still ropey serve and unforced errors simply because the Andy on that court yesterday was a new Andy.  The improvement in his attitude, on-court behaviour and body-language was very noticeable (when, for example, did the old Andy ever walk onto a court raising his arms in acknowledgement of the crowd?).  I also liked the power and depth of his forehand which has been much in evidence in this tournament and the fact that he was actually prepared to fight to the bitter end in the 5th set instead of sulking and tamely accepting defeat after a poor 4th.  I feel certain that he can build on this match by taking the positives on board and learning from his mistakes.  You once said yourself in reference to Nadal's coaching by Uncle Toni that moulding a player's character was an essential step before working on his game, and this is what Lendl seems to be doing.

For goodness sake, everyone - not only was Andy playing a guy at the very top of his game, and one who he often pushed to the limits, but he's only been working with Lendl for about 4 weeks, so give the man a break.  Changes cannot be rushed and take time to bed in.  Accept it.  In four or five months time we really will have a much clearer picture of the Lendl effect and that that picture will, I'm sure, be a positive one.

Well said Aileen, agree with every word. I find it hard to beleive the negativity on this site especially (just for once) the media seem to be saying the opposite. Even the guy from the ITV who made me laugh when he tweeted that the Scottish Prime Minister could keep the oil we would just have Andy - deal!  I watched the match (recorded) and yes Andy made mistakes but so did Novak if you look at the stats Andy was pretty much toe to toe with him all match (with the exception of the double faults perhaps) Novaks tennis is not better than Andys his advantage is he is still flying high on confidence which comes with winning. A couple of losses will bring him down to earth with a bump the first one  probably tommorrow.
Get the impression I dont like him and yes your right, I think he is unsportsmanlike and is in danger of becoming as arrogant as the Fed head. Still I am confident Andy will beat him next time round.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #129 on: January 28, 2012, 09:20 PM »

Win together, lose together.

If people are not willing to go through the good and bad times of supporting your player, go and being a Roger/Rafa/Nole fan and glory hunt to your hearts content.

I'll be supporting Andy till the day calls time on his career.

Could you imagine for Ivanisevic's fans how sweet it was to finally see him lift the Wimbledon trophy after years of hurt? Same goes for Roger at the French Open, the stars aligned for him to take his chance in '09. There's every chance Nole and Rafa will not always be at the sharp end of every slam in the course of next 3-4 years and Andy can seize his opportunity.

I would rather he beats them to win a GS for sure though.
IP Logged
sengamac
Challenger Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #130 on: January 28, 2012, 09:22 PM »

Well said Aileen, agree with every word. I find it hard to beleive the negativity on this site especially (just for once) the media seem to be saying the opposite. Even the guy from the ITV who made me laugh when he tweeted that the Scottish Prime Minister could keep the oil we would just have Andy - deal!  I watched the match (recorded) and yes Andy made mistakes but so did Novak if you look at the stats Andy was pretty much toe to toe with him all match (with the exception of the double faults perhaps) Novaks tennis is not better than Andys his advantage is he is still flying high on confidence which comes with winning. A couple of losses will bring him down to earth with a bump the first one  probably tommorrow.
Get the impression I dont like him and yes your right, I think he is unsportsmanlike and is in danger of becoming as arrogant as the Fed head. Still I am confident Andy will beat him next time round.

Sorry I don't agree that Nigel's report was one of the most negative on the site and I also don't agree that just because people express a different opinion to yours makes them "negative" and "moaners".     We are all Andy fans at the end of the day and laying into someone just because they dare to say Andy isn't perfect and could have done better is akin to bullying.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #131 on: January 28, 2012, 09:39 PM »

I am Andy Murray and this gif of me is too fast for the human eye.
haha lmao
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #132 on: January 28, 2012, 09:45 PM »

Sorry I don't agree that Nigel's report was one of the most negative on the site and I also don't agree that just because people express a different opinion to yours makes them "negative" and "moaners".     We are all Andy fans at the end of the day and laying into someone just because they dare to say Andy isn't perfect and could have done better is akin to bullying.

Cheers. Yep, I wouldn't say my match report was negative. I tried to reflect the common view and to convey some of the excitement that I did actually feel. Some of my comments in this thread might have been a little negative, however.

My reservations were that a) four-fifths of the match was fairly forgettable (86 UEs from Andy) b) I'm not sure it would have been that close had it been the final, and c) I'm still shocked about that 4th set. That was the time to break your body going for the jugular - Nadal would have, Fed would have and Novak would have.

But I'm usually pretty positive about Andy. So don't give me a hard time.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #133 on: January 28, 2012, 09:47 PM »

From their site:

I so hope he plays in this.  I have quarter final and final tickets! 
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray edged out in five-set thriller « Reply #134 on: January 28, 2012, 09:53 PM »

It's because you are usually so positive that it is hard to understand your take on this one Nigel but - hey ho- you're just as entitiled to your opinion as any of the rest of us.  It's a little ironic that this time you seem to be taking a different tack to every journo out there though - perhaps it's just in your makeup to play devil's advocate - don't take it to heart!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »