Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray edges past Karlovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray edges past Karlovic

(Read 1360 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Murray edges past Karlovic « on: October 02, 2012, 09:50 AM »

US Open champion Andy Murray began his Tokyo title defence today with a 7-6(7), 6-4 victory over the lucky loser Ivo Karlovic in the Japanese capital.

It was the world number three’s first competitive match since claiming his maiden grand slam three weeks ago, although for unknown reasons it was not televised anywhere around the globe. The top seed was originally expected to face former world number seven Gael Monfils, but the Frenchman withdrew after a knee injury picked up in Bangkok last week.

As always with matches against Karlovic it was a case of trying to find a way to nullify the Croat’s massive serve. Karlovic’s ace stats (per match) are third only to John Isner and Milos Raonic this year, but the Brit is the greatest hard court returner on the tour since records began back in the early 90’s, and it was he who was digging out the early chances. But Karlovic stood strong, responding with an ace to every break point opportunity in the opening stages.

Murray was facing no problems on his own service games, but the top seed couldn’t find a way to break the world number 79 and so into a tie-break it went. And it was the Brit who prevailed, coming from behind as he has made a habit of doing in tie-breaks of late, taking it 9-7 after fending off a set point.

The second set followed a similar path to the first, with both players racing through their service games. But this time Murray was serving first, and when Karlovic had to serve to stay in the match, he crumbled. The US Open champion found himself with three match points, and although the Croatian number two saved two of them (one with a second serve ace), the Scot was able to seal the match on the third to book his place in round two.

In the second round Murray will meet the world number 65 Lukas Lacko, who demolished Albert Ramos 6-0, 6-2 yesterday.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter October 02, 2012, 09:54 AM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:00 AM »

Thanks Mad Hatter for your report on the match. I was under the impression that Andy would not be playing until tomorrow. But glad to hear that Andy won, Karlovic can be a tricky customer and should never be discounted. Thanks again for your report.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:13 AM »

Thanks MadHatter, for your informative report. Glad that Andy came through impressively!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:40 AM »

It's great that GS champ Andy is able to get the first win under his belt since USO.

Hope Andy can get past Lacko and then set the record straight with Chardy  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 11:09 AM »

Well done Luke - managed to make a report on a match you'd not been able to watch interesting and informative!
And more importantly well done Andy who must have been a bit rusty but sounds like he must have been serving great and good to see off Karlovic in 2 sets and well under 2 hours.  Onwards and upwards for the USO and Olympics champ.   yay yay
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Great news! Very imformative mate.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 12:12 PM »

Great report, you'd think you'd seen the match, great stuff.

Brilliant for Andy to have got that one under his belt fairly handily. I hope he keeps a good rhythm on his serve though. Matches against big servers like that can throw your rhythm out, so I hope he'll be all right. I think he will.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:58 PM »

Thanks, Luke. Shame we didn't get to see it, so your match report is all the more welcome.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 01:04 PM »

Thankyou Luke. Your report brought the match to life for me Just following the scores is very dry and not very interesting. This was especially welcome as the match was ignored by almost every other outlet
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 01:38 PM »

Thanks, Luke & also for "live comments" on other thread which I just skimmed through as I was not able to stay with it at the time.  Only in tennis it seems is it so hard sometimes to find out where, what etc is going on. Checking other sources getting all different answers. Thank heavens for Murrays World.

Well done, Andy, by all accounts good strong games.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 01:46 PM »

Good win Andy...
Thumbs up!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 02:48 PM »

Great win after a break!  I have just been watching the USO final again and was thinking that in all Andy's matches at Wimby (except one), Olympics and USO he would have won even if they had been three setters.  This, I hope, bodes well for the rest of this tournament and the rest.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 04:23 PM »

v interesting & positive comment from Andy quoted on bbc website:

The 25-year-old said in Japan that winning his first grand slam in New York has seen him re-evaluate his approach to each tournament.

"I was so, I don't want to say 'obsessed' with winning a grand slam, but it was so important to me," Murray said.

"Sometimes during the year in certain matches I haven't done myself justice. I felt after the US Open that I needed to reset some goals.

"I was always focusing on the next grand slam rather than every tournament and every match I played.

"Now I feel like I can hopefully concentrate better, take more responsibility for my performances in every tournament throughout the year."
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 06:51 PM »

Good report and under difficult circumstances.

The live score board was poor as it didnt show who took the first set for ages. Thanks to all you "posters" during the match as I was a work and had to just snatch a quick look at the score whilst I kept on working.

Way to go Champ, well done lad clap

IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray edges past Karlovic « Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 06:54 PM »

Are the match stats somewhere? Andy would appear to have been serving well, but would like to check.
That was a very interesting quote from Andy, Ruthie. Hoping he can now play with greater freedom and renewed enthusiasm  everywhere. Fingers crossed
[ Last edit by blueberryhill October 02, 2012, 06:57 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »