Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw

(Read 4101 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #75 on: June 24, 2012, 10:51 AM »

whens Andy playing?

He starts on Tuesday. Smile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #76 on: June 24, 2012, 03:53 PM »

I think the biggest obstacle in Andy's path to the final (other than Nadal since he's always in his side of the draw that I don't think they should even bother with the formal draws anymore) is his focus. He just can't seem to stay highly focused for two weeks. Then once he is in the final, nerves take over to the point Andy can't even function properly let alone execute his game according to the plan. I've always thought these two are the main culprits (both caused by pressure and Andy himself) and almost never the opponents or the draws.

I've also noticed when he is focused he tends to bring his A game - a game that has more aggressive elements than defensive. A very nice mixture of the two in other words. That's also when he knows exactly how to execute this game that brings the most success but that frame of mind is very inconsistent.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #77 on: June 24, 2012, 06:51 PM »

I think the biggest current obstacle for Andy is his back prob.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #78 on: June 25, 2012, 05:35 AM »

^ Yes, am a little worried: read about all those injections he's had to take. Frown But hoping for the best none the less. Go Andy!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #79 on: June 25, 2012, 05:37 AM »

Tough draw or not, I don't think losing all three warm-up matches on what is one of his best surfaces will have done Andy's confidence any good.  My expectations are as low as they've ever been going into a Slam.  Andy has surprised us all before but he's going to need all the skill, belief and luck he can get here.  Still be rooting for him though!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #80 on: June 25, 2012, 06:37 AM »

I have been thinking about his recent losses and the back problem.  When you have those injections you have to take it easy for at least 10 days so maybe he decided not to push too hard before the big event.  I felt the same about RG when he lost to Gulbis.  He did not seem to be putting his all into it.  If this is the case his match against Mahut will not seem too bad to him.  I do not think he was moving well or hitting very aggresively which exactly what I would be trying not to do if I was in his place.  I think, had he not committed to Queens, he may have not played at all.  He surprised us all both at AO and RG(bad back in the 2nd round) so maybe he can again.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #81 on: June 25, 2012, 10:07 AM »

I have been thinking about his recent losses and the back problem.  When you have those injections you have to take it easy for at least 10 days so maybe he decided not to push too hard before the big event.  I felt the same about RG when he lost to Gulbis.  He did not seem to be putting his all into it.  If this is the case his match against Mahut will not seem too bad to him.  I do not think he was moving well or hitting very aggresively which exactly what I would be trying not to do if I was in his place.  I think, had he not committed to Queens, he may have not played at all.  He surprised us all both at AO and RG(bad back in the 2nd round) so maybe he can again.
Interesting point tamila.  I didn't realise what the injections entailed.  Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to commit himself to Queen, although I'm sure the back problem would have been an understandable reason for withdrawing.  I suppose therefore we have to assume that no injections will have been given just before Wimbledon, and in fact as I understand it, it's hoped that the injections he's had will see him through until the end of the Olympics, when matters will be reassessed.  At least it's now known what was suspected at the time, that the problem is due to a troublesome disc.  (Sorry for telling people what they probably know already but I'm just catching up on all this after a few days away!)
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #82 on: June 25, 2012, 10:12 AM »

Have just read a very good article by Kevin Garside of the Independent entitled ' Murray cannot be held responsible for 76 years of hurt'.  It was very revealing and so true.  I do not know how to puit on a link.  Sorry.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #83 on: June 25, 2012, 11:41 AM »

Interesting point tamila.  I didn't realise what the injections entailed.  Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to commit himself to Queen, although I'm sure the back problem would have been an understandable reason for withdrawing.  I suppose therefore we have to assume that no injections will have been given just before Wimbledon, and in fact as I understand it, it's hoped that the injections he's had will see him through until the end of the Olympics, when matters will be reassessed.  At least it's now known what was suspected at the time, that the problem is due to a troublesome disc.  (Sorry for telling people what they probably know already but I'm just catching up on all this after a few days away!)
No didn't know about the disc Aileen as in what I'd read Andy was still not saying what the problem actually was just how he's been dealing with it.  I don't know about disc problems but I don't think it's good news.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #84 on: June 25, 2012, 12:30 PM »

No didn't know about the disc Aileen as in what I'd read Andy was still not saying what the problem actually was just how he's been dealing with it.  I don't know about disc problems but I don't think it's good news.

I got that info from Simon Briggs in the Telegraph but can't see it substantiated anywhere else, so really until we hear it from the horse's mouth it still has to be speculation.

Very pleased to see from the Mail that Tommy Haas has apparently apologised for his unwarranted remarks -

Sportsmail understands that upon his arrival at Wimbledon Haas sought Murray out to explain the quotes attributed to him in a German TV interview and maintained they had been taken out of context.

Murray is said to have accepted his apology and gave the German credit for fronting up to him and making his position clear.

What a shame old acid-mouth Virginia can't do the same!

Have just read a very good article by Kevin Garside of the Independent entitled ' Murray cannot be held responsible for 76 years of hurt'.  It was very revealing and so true.  I do not know how to puit on a link.  Sorry.
Here it is tamila - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/kevin-garside-murray-should-not-be-held-responsible--for-76-years-of-hurt-7879741.html

To post on here all you have to do is - right click on the article's URL, then left click on copy, put the cursor where you want the link to go in your post and then left click on paste.  And that's it!

Excellent article, by the way, and well done to Garside for writing it.  How I wish it could be circulated to all the Murray-bashers!
[ Last edit by Aileen June 25, 2012, 12:35 PM ] IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #85 on: June 25, 2012, 01:14 PM »

Some really interesting and good posts going about just now as well as articles, one day to go and how do I feel – apprehensive, just wanting Andy to do well so he does not get the barracking from the media (hey that will never stop in a million years!!)  Thinking about the back issue – as I have said in previous posts when this fist started, my better half suffered a works injury when he fell off a roof and broke his back and damaged discs in his lower back and neck.  Thankfully he recovered to a sufficient level to be able to return to work not in his capacity as a roofer but took a driving job, now he is 18 years older than Andy, and whilst he before his accident was semi fit he is not required to put his body through the rigours that Andy as a top class athlete does.  My husband gets injections into his back 4 times over the course of a year, these are joint injections which ease the pain and inject a controlled dose of anti inflammatory medication to try and reduce the flare up of swelling etc caused by his discs being out of place. Now, he has these injections and it takes about a good 2-3 weeks before they kick in and he says that following these injections he feels like he has been in the ring with David Haye!!!  Now all my husband has to do is get in his van and do his deliveries – he is not required to push his body to breaking point every day  So I think this tournament is going to be a trying one for him, I really hope he can push on (without doing any permanent damage) he must have the input of a seriously good medical team so we have to trust that he is making the right decision. 
If his back is good then I hope he comes out with the attitude of “I am going to show you lot that slated me”  I often look back at old footage of him when he had his “devil may care” attitude and did not give a ****.  Obviously, as he has got older and become a world sports star he has had to hone his image to appeal to a bigger audience.  Me personally, I hanker after that young guy who was so so proud of being Scottish and basically said “take me as I am or not at all”.  I often think that containing all that natural emotion cannot be good for him.  Andy please come out on the court and just be yourself, you are damned if you do and danmed if you don’t so just DON’T and be yourself.

Good Luck mate – you are the pride of Scotland whatever happens.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #86 on: June 25, 2012, 01:20 PM »

Is it just me or is anyone else  annoyed by Tiger Tim's withering support of Andy.
He always comes out with lines like `I think Andy has a chance as long as the others don't play well enough`
Or `i think Andy has ONE slam in him`, or `yes he lost against fed at the AO but federer is god`.
I suppose we have to be thankful that he says anything positive at all but part of me wishes he would just piss off.
Federers backside is surely waiting to be smooched.
No one thinks Andy has a chance this year, but I know he could beat anyone of the Top 3 on grass so lets hope he surprises everyone.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #87 on: June 25, 2012, 01:26 PM »

I think the biggest obstacle in Andy's path to the final (other than Nadal since he's always in his side of the draw that I don't think they should even bother with the formal draws anymore) is his focus. He just can't seem to stay highly focused for two weeks. Then once he is in the final, nerves take over to the point Andy can't even function properly let alone execute his game according to the plan. I've always thought these two are the main culprits (both caused by pressure and Andy himself) and almost never the opponents or the draws.

I've also noticed when he is focused he tends to bring his A game - a game that has more aggressive elements than defensive. A very nice mixture of the two in other words. That's also when he knows exactly how to execute this game that brings the most success but that frame of mind is very inconsistent.

Enough already however, its time for him to get over this.
Andy has been around for a longtime now he really has to maintain his composure and be ready to play his best when it really matters. He is 25 now he must find a way to relax and I'm sure Lendl can be a help in this.
Is that you in the avatar EJ? lol
You look like a bollywood star!
Its a very nice photo if it is you but it is also deceiving as you look a lot more innocent than you obviously are.
The face dosn't match the thought processes  devil
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #88 on: June 25, 2012, 03:09 PM »

Is it just me or is anyone else  annoyed by Tiger Tim's withering support of Andy.
He always comes out with lines like `I think Andy has a chance as long as the others don't play well enough`
Or `i think Andy has ONE slam in him`, or `yes he lost against fed at the AO but federer is god`.
I suppose we have to be thankful that he says anything positive at all but part of me wishes he would just piss off.
Federers backside is surely waiting to be smooched.
No one thinks Andy has a chance this year, but I know he could beat anyone of the Top 3 on grass so lets hope he surprises everyone.
. Yes I agree , you would think Tim of all people would be behind Andy , but secretly  I think he dosnt won't Andy to get a slam !! I also cannot believe how so many are saying Fed will win why ????what an I missing??
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray faces tricky Wimbledon draw « Reply #89 on: June 25, 2012, 03:14 PM »

I have just been thinking iof Sharapova.  She had a new coach just under 2 years and ago now she is doing great things.  This proves the fact that it takers some time fopr a new coach to make a difference.  Last year at wimbledon she had so many double faults it was incredible now but she is serving so well.  There is hope for our Andy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »