Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray falls at final hurdle again 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray falls at final hurdle again

(Read 8082 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray falls at final hurdle again « Reply #270 on: February 05, 2011, 11:43 AM »

Lucky for us then! hug
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray falls at final hurdle again « Reply #271 on: February 05, 2011, 06:05 PM »

I disagree with that because in the book that Andy did write he never once mentions being forced into learning to play tennis.  Also, when he was 15 he was sufficiently good at football for Rangers to invite him to join their training team, and it seems that that was "make your mind up time", and Andy chose tennis, which he says he has never regretted.

One thing that has sometimes struck me when posting on MW, is that Andy and the rest of his class were approaching the gym at Dunblane Primary School when Thomas Hamilton let rip with his gun and killed a teacher and 16 children, and seriously injured several others leaving some of them incapacitated for life.

Goodness knows what other talent might have been snuffed out that day, but the truth is that had Andy's class arrived at the gym a minute or so earlier, then not only might we not be having these conversations now, but Britain would have been deprived of a great tennis player.  Of course, what you've never had you won't miss, but I reckon that that fact's worth bearing in mind.

I often think about his narrow escape at Dunblane. One of the things I like about Andy and his family is the way they don't talk about that - dignified as was the Scottish media coverage at the time - restrained and more moving because of that restraint.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Murray falls at final hurdle again « Reply #272 on: February 06, 2011, 12:18 AM »

I wouldn't bother.  It really isn't worth reading - and even Andy has admitted that he was a bit premature to rush into an autobiography.  Have to say yawn-time came on very quickly!

Got to disagree, Aileen.
Just to take an example, it provides the background knowledge to major injuries/problems that occurred and the effects they had/have on his career - why he joined the tour a couple of years after Djoko - explaining re his bipartite patella; his left ankle injury why he always wears a support; his wrist injury which, I think, has affected his forehand.
Also, the slog of the early pre-tour matches is conveyed; how some matches which he has lost, he saw as positive milestones etc
If you're interested in his career, I don't see how you'd find any of these things 'yawn-making'.
I would say get the book Caz. I think you'll find there's more of interest in it than Aileen suggests.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray falls at final hurdle again « Reply #273 on: February 06, 2011, 06:38 AM »

Hey Aileen thanks for that.......and you too Matchpoint!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray falls at final hurdle again « Reply #274 on: February 06, 2011, 06:38 AM »

Great post Aileen and I'll have to get that book!
Got to disagree, Aileen.
Just to take an example, it provides the background knowledge to major injuries/problems that occurred and the effects they had/have on his career - why he joined the tour a couple of years after Djoko - explaining re his bipartite patella; his left ankle injury why he always wears a support; his wrist injury which, I think, has affected his forehand.
Also, the slog of the early pre-tour matches is conveyed; how some matches which he has lost, he saw as positive milestones etc
If you're interested in his career, I don't see how you'd find any of these things 'yawn-making'.
I would say get the book Caz. I think you'll find there's more of interest in it than Aileen suggests.
imsorry  The book was given to me when it first came out and I have to admit I wasn't as interested in Andy then as I am now after a year on MW, so I gave up on it quite quickly.

Having fished the book out from the depths of a bookcase, I've spent the last hour reading it.  Got as far as Judy's harrowing account of the Dunblane massacre, but on having a look through at later parts, I can see where he describes his bi-partite patella, how he thought his tennis career might be over, and how he even tried playing tennis from a wheelchair because he couldn't use his leg; also the freak wrist injury which left him unable to freely generate topspin on his forehand because he was scared to do so (is that perhaps still a problem with him?), and how this injury seems to have been one of the areas where he and Brad Gilbert had quite different opinions, when Gilbert felt he should play and Andy didn't.  I see there's also a short piece written by Tim Henman.

I will certainly finish reading it, so humble pie consumed - Caz, the book is called "Hitting Back", it was published by Century in 2008, there's also a sequel to it called "Coming of Age".  Both are available online from Amazon ... hardback, paperback, and second-hand.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitting-Back-Autobiography-Andy-Murray/dp/1846051673

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coming-Age-Autobiography-Andy-Murray/dp/0099505657
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray falls at final hurdle again « Reply #275 on: February 06, 2011, 07:03 AM »

Hey Aileen thanks for that.......and you too Matchpoint!
Aileen, I don't know how this post appeared 'above' yours....I read yours first....hence the thanks!
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: Murray falls at final hurdle again « Reply #276 on: February 06, 2011, 12:00 PM »

Hey guys just read this interview from Agassi - where he talks about himself and the similarities of loosing his first three grandslam finals to that of our own Andy. I for one took heart from Agassi's words, and feel he is spot on in his analysis - have a read and see what you all think.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/227399/Andre-Agassi-should-be-inspiration-as-Andy-Murray-chases-dream
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray falls at final hurdle again « Reply #277 on: February 06, 2011, 12:17 PM »

I'm sure Andy would feel heartened if he read that, but, before 'I' do, can you tell me if Andy has ever won a set in a GS final?   I do feel sure that he will succeed one day, but do you think his problem is the same as Agassi's?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray falls at final hurdle again « Reply #278 on: February 06, 2011, 12:20 PM »

It seems to me that his attitude was 'defeatist' as soon as he walked onto the court. I can't see how he will overcome that without help. Even taking into account that he wasn't as fresh as Nole.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray falls at final hurdle again « Reply #279 on: February 07, 2011, 12:37 PM »

Mod NoticeDiscussion on the benefits of a sports psychologist has been moved to here.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray falls at final hurdle again « Reply #280 on: February 07, 2011, 02:35 PM »

I have it on DVD, although I'm not sure I have the facility to copy it.

Free DVD Ripper  I've just started using this and whilst I noticed a tendency for the sound and vision to be ever so slightly out of synch, it is free so I can't complain.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »